What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen - jealous!!! I'm jonesing to try the R-3. If you bring the RV to Alabama, bring that bike too. I want to check that puppy out.

Allen - jealous!!! I'm jonesing to try the R-3. If you bring the RV to Alabama, bring that bike too. I want to check that puppy out.
Lol. It's a fun little bike. I rode both yesterday- the r3 then the fjr and they feel soooo different. I am pleasantly surprised that the r3 does not feel over worked at highway speeds, but instead is ready to go as you demand of it, better than a Kawasaki ex500. And the r looks great! I had many pedestrians and car drivers just stare as I rode past them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. It's a fun little bike. I rode both yesterday- the r3 then the fjr and they feel soooo different. I am pleasantly surprised that the r3 does not feel over worked at highway speeds, but instead is ready to go as you demand of it, better than a Kawasaki ex500. And the r looks great! I had many pedestrians and car drivers just stare as I rode past them.
Yeah but how do you know they were good stares?
smile.png

And why, why, WHY is it that we must take our hands off the bars? Why?
Why, why, why wouldn't you want to? When you were a kid, you telling me you never rode on your bike with no hands? It was fun then; it is fun now.

But more importantly, as we get older, it just feels good to every once in while completely change the riding posture. Sport tourers have a slight lean forward; sitting straight up (and maybe even leaning back some), stretching my back just makes these old bones happy.

And why, why, WHY is it that we must take our hands off the bars? Why?
Why, why, why wouldn't you want to? When you were a kid, you telling me you never rode on your bike with no hands? It was fun then; it is fun now.

But more importantly, as we get older, it just feels good to every once in while completely change the riding posture. Sport tourers have a slight lean forward; sitting straight up (and maybe even leaning back some), stretching my back just makes these old bones happy.
Your suspension may need dialing in if you didn't change the OEM settings. I see your fork preload is at factory, maybe your damping is too. Sent you a PM.

59 in a 45 = $90 outside of Lowman, ID. Oops

Also stopped at Snake River Yamaha to get my check engine light turned off again. Tried to start it with the ignition not quite in the on position. This results in a 'Detected engine stall' code and the check engine light on.

14 over for under $100 is pretty cheap compared to these parts. Doesn't make it any more fun, JSNS.

I thought you had a valentine hidden under a snazzy box on your space station console? Did the popo "instant on" ya?

Yup. Instant on as we crested a little hill just outside town. Wasn't even thinking about being over the limit. Just a little further the limit was 55 then 65. Was chatting with a buddy last night who got caught in the exact same spot last year.

Just riding her like a rented mule. Back and forth commuting to practice 48 miles one way. 40 on the interstate. Pretty boring for sure, but at least I am riding and the Gas Mileage is way better than in the Ridgeline. As soon as the season is over, I am taking a few days off and going riding for real.

On the commute, the 4 on/off ramps are about the only real curves around here and OMG, I am railing them. I time my approach to them to make sure no cars will slow me up while on the attack.

BTW, I am still on the same tires that I came back from Red Lodge on. The T-30 front and PR2 rear are properly done, but commuting on them seems reasonable. If I take my hands off the bars at around 40mph, while decelerating, the front immediately starts wobbling really bad. I need to order some new ones quickly. The rear is on the WHEATIE replacement program. When I see the cords, I am gonna ride for another week, then replace it!!!.

Changed oil, filter, then washed.

Changed final oil drive oil. Only been 8,000 miles since I last changed it. Man that is some bad looking (and smelling) oil that comes out of that final drive.

Put on some MCL risers, had to drill the ignition and all that. much more comfortable now for my upper back and i got a bunch of extra mount points for Ram balls.

Changed oil, filter, then washed.
Changed final oil drive oil. Only been 8,000 miles since I last changed it. Man that is some bad looking (and smelling) oil that comes out of that final drive.
After the first change or two, I found that the final drive oil comes out pretty much the same as it goes in. I think the original factory stuff is a little different - darker and smelly. I have seen two cases where water had somehow made it into the FD (through vent, maybe?). Anyway, the goo that came out (water/oil emulsion) looked pretty disgusting.

350 miles of mostly twisty roads. Rode over to The Devil's Triangle and had some fun.

Rode it to Bisbee, AZ to get couple of photos for moto tag game. Both where haunted.

So on the way home stopped at a roadside Madonna, you know............just in case.

DSCN0900_zpszrwv9cmd.jpg

Also stopped at Snake River Yamaha to get my check engine light turned off again. Tried to start it with the ignition not quite in the on position. This results in a 'Detected engine stall' code and the check engine light on.
Quick shout out to Snake River Yamaha in Meridian, ID. They looked at my bike first thing after I showed. They hooked the bike up to the computer and found a 'Detected Stall" error which was lighting my check engine light. I didn't turn my key all the way to on and tried to start the bike. The engine will turn over in this position but will not start. The result is the error code mentioned above. This happened to a friend in LA with his 2016. Maybe a recall for this??

After hooking my bike to the computer 5 different guys tried to clear the code. They finally called Yamaha and found they not only have to enter the VIN, but also the date and the mileage on the bike. If they don't the software will not allow them to clear the codes. Of course the software also doesn't tell you why you can't clear the codes??

A buddy found a cable on line to allow interfacing from the Yamaha 4-pin connector a standard OBDII connector. Think I'll be investing in one of these so I can clear these bogus codes myself in the future.