What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had a moment to do a post-NAFO oil change yesterday; she's up to 18k miles in 13 months. Also spent some more time fussing over how I'm going to power my new Givi tank lock bag. Instead of buying Givi's power kit ($$), I bought a 5 port USB charger (up from a one port Warm 'n Safe charger), cut the cigarette plug off the end, and now I'm having an endless self-debate on whether to use an SAE or Coax connector for the connection between the bag and power system. Once that's decided, power will come from the Fuzeblock under the seat...just have to make a decision, lol. My old tank bag was powered by the coax I use for heated gear (via a Y cable from under the seat), but the new bag's waterproof port is in the front, so I want to put in a dedicated line up there.
+1 for SAE, I had the coax (powerlet) port on my '05, that powered my tank bag when riding, air pump when needed, and used for battery charging in winter, but that connector was a lot more finicky and prone to corrocion, etc.than a good old 2 pin SAE battery tender cable / cord. That is what I have on my '14 now, it comes out from the battery up near the fork stem, and it serves all the same purposes, but more reliably and weather resistant, maybe even cheaper?
Yea, I'm going the SAE direction with it since I already have the Battery Tender SAE up front...I'll just re-route it to live up by the RAMBone I have installed (I was being hardheaded with the decision, lol).

You're not kidding about the Coax corrosion issue...I lost the weather cap off mine awhile back and it gets corroded fast. I scrounged a cap that fits over it and, after cleaning it out, put some dielectric grease in it. It's still my heated gear supply.

For Joe, I rode to work as well. It's as humid as south Florida here, but I persevered. The weekend looks like a good one (fall-like 80's, no humidity) as long as that Gulf storm stays off the coast when it swings up by NC. :D

I work mostly from home, but rode *for* work yesterday - lunch meeting, and it felt pretty good before I left. Was cursing my decision on the ride home, though!

Guess it goes in the shed tomorrow. Flying out Monday for business and rather not have it unattended in the carport that long.

If anyone in/near Urbana, IL wants to buy me a cuppajoe I'll be there through Friday morning.

Guess it goes in the shed tomorrow. Flying out Monday for business and rather not have it unattended in the carport that long.
If anyone in/near Urbana, IL wants to buy me a cuppajoe I'll be there through Friday morning.
I am in Chambana every afternoon for practice. The cuppajoe will have to be after practice, but PM incoming.

Took off OEM POS BT023 tires at 4.7k miles. They resisted. Put on PR4 GT tires, they resisted even more. On my '04 I put on non GT PR4s and they were like light running shoes, this time, right away I noticed the stiff sidewalls of the GTs. All kinds of funny noises and weird ride feel went away. What felt like loose steering bearings is now 'fixed'. Last week the BT023s twice treated me to major skidding episodes so I'm glad to see them gone.

I have had many, many assembly issues with my '15, I have had to replace lots of fasteners, replaced broken windshield trim plastic pieces, almost all the dash clip nuts and when changing tires today I found my front ABS retaining screw had the head stripped out. The ABS sensor screw remains to be sorted out.

We got some heat cycling into the tires and got some tread scrubbing done this afternoon.

While out we picked up some Asiago bagels for breakfast tomorrow. Split and toast the bagel, on the bottom half, put on a nice layer of bacon (North Country Apple Wood Smoked bacon), add a fried egg, a nice thick slice of pepper jack cheese, top with other bagel half and heat until the cheese starts to melt. Jalapeno pepper jack cheese works, habanero pepper jack works great too. We don't do this often but it's really good when we do.

New FirstInterstate battery, Avon StormXd tires, oil, filter. Replaced battery ground. Cleaned battery terminals, ignition relay terminals. Still slow starter motor after 3 or so attempts.

I have had many, many assembly issues with my '15, I have had to replace lots of fasteners, replaced broken windshield trim plastic pieces, almost all the dash clip nuts and when changing tires today I found my front ABS retaining screw had the head stripped out. The ABS sensor screw remains to be sorted out.
Today I am writing Yamaha Customer Service a letter. I too have a '15, and yesterday I found that the Yamaha name chevron had fallen off the right side case. No idea when it happened, but the adhesive is still tacky. The adhesive covers less than 1/2 the overall area where the chevron is mounted. I have had the bike for only 5 weeks. Kinda early for things to start falling off.
grrr.gif

Today I am writing Yamaha Customer Service a letter. I too have a '15, and yesterday I found that the Yamaha name chevron had fallen off the right side case. No idea when it happened, but the adhesive is still tacky. The adhesive covers less than 1/2 the overall area where the chevron is mounted. I have had the bike for only 5 weeks. Kinda early for things to start falling off.
grrr.gif
Interesting, my right side chevron came off too. It's been a little longer than 5 weeks since April for mine though. I chalked it up to heat but am rethinking that now.

Today I am writing Yamaha Customer Service a letter. I too have a '15, and yesterday I found...
My issues are dealer related, the only hardware they didn't screw up during the uncrating assembly were the ~10 fasteners they didn't install at all.

The side case pieces seems to have been an issue for several years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used my YES to get the same right side emblem replaced. The guy putting on the right side emblem must have had a bad day (or days)
smile.png

Removed my wheels - tomorrow she gets new shoes. Gonna try another set of PR2s as this has been the tire of choice for my Gen 1 and 3 FJR. But this set lasted only 6300 miles and I'm not too happy about it. The front could go another 1,000, but the rear is toast - well into the wear indicator. On the Gen 1, I typically got 8500 out of a rear, and 10,000 on the front. I'm aware that others have gone further, but this is what I expected on the Gen 3. No noticeable cupping - tire pressure was maintained faithfully at 40/42. Grip and feel never waivered - solid predictable Mich. tire except for the wear rate. Same roads, same riding style, same everything. Weird. But one set doesn't make a pattern so I'll give the PR2 one more chance, and if I get similar results, I'm off to try something different.

While I'm in the shop tomorrow, I'll flush the clutch and brakes, and lubricate the pivot points.

Removed my wheels - tomorrow she gets new shoes. Gonna try another set of PR2s as this has been the tire of choice for my Gen 1 and 3 FJR. But this set lasted only 6300 miles and I'm not too happy about it. The front could go another 1,000, but the rear is toast - well into the wear indicator. On the Gen 1, I typically got 8500 out of a rear, and 10,000 on the front. I'm aware that others have gone further, but this is what I expected on the Gen 3. No noticeable cupping - tire pressure was maintained faithfully at 40/42. Grip and feel never waivered - solid predictable Mich. tire except for the wear rate. Same roads, same riding style, same everything. Weird. But one set doesn't make a pattern so I'll give the PR2 one more chance, and if I get similar results, I'm off to try something different.
While I'm in the shop tomorrow, I'll flush the clutch and brakes, and lubricate the pivot points.
pants I still say it's not the difference in tires,
no.gif
but your somewhat more aggressive use with your wrist..
haha.gif
.JS I've had the same problem as well...
sadsmiley.gif

You certainly could be right. I'll have to pay closer attention to it on this new set. (NOT!!)

I've made my peace with tire wear and motorcycles. If I want to play, I've got to pay. This set wore unusually fast, though.

Bought a second hitech battery charger come trickle charger.

2 batteries 5 bikes, time to swap the chargers around.

Have a buyer for my 08 project bike, so it's time for spit & polish and to check it out.

Was perfect 10 months ago, been started and run up to temp many times but brakes will be wooded.

Now looking for a friend who can take all my girls out for a spin / test report.

Traveled up to Bob's (FYB) for some whiskey....and also to install parts that were waiting for me there. Replaced a broken license plate light/bracket plus the T-shaped plastic between the taillights; items broken early in the NAFO voyage when 2 FJRs tried to get it on. :D

Rode from Billings to Missoulla Montana. Pretty cold and wet a lot of the way. Lots of 'WingDingers' on the road as their big show was in Billings this past week. Had breakfast in Anaconda after the rain stopped. Up to Georgetown Lake and on to Missoula. Lolo Pass tomorrow then on home to Seattle on Tuesday. Approaching 10k miles on this 2016 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took off OEM POS BT023 tires at 4.7k miles. They resisted. Put on PR4 GT tires, they resisted even more. On my '04 I put on non GT PR4s and they were like light running shoes, this time, right away I noticed the stiff sidewalls of the GTs. All kinds of funny noises and weird ride feel went away. What felt like loose steering bearings is now 'fixed'. Last week the BT023s twice treated me to major skidding episodes so I'm glad to see them gone.

We got some heat cycling into the tires and got some tread scrubbing done this afternoon.

While out we picked up some Asiago bagels for breakfast tomorrow. Split and toast the bagel, on the bottom half, put on a nice layer of bacon (North Country Apple Wood Smoked bacon), add a fried egg, a nice thick slice of pepper jack cheese, top with other bagel half and heat until the cheese starts to melt. Jalapeno pepper jack cheese works, habanero pepper jack works great too. We don't do this often but it's really good when we do.
Sucks that you couldn't get more miles than that out of the OE tires. I replaced my rear fairly early and was glad to see it go, but the front lasted me about 10k miles with no problem. Replaced it then with a PR2 on the rear and T30GT up front.

I'm 2k into my 2nd PR2 and the T30 was down to the wear bars after riding to northern Maine this weekend, so I just replaced that one with a T30GT EVO w/ just short of 20k on the bike, in anticipation of riding down to EOM soon. The EVO is supposed to be a tad better in wet weather than the regular T30GT, which has been pretty good.

Not that it ever rains during EOM or anything. :rolleyes:

I forget to mention that coincidence or not, both the front and rear OEM Bridgestone tires were mounted with the bar code directly opposite the air stem. I mounted the Michelins (ya, different brand) the same way. The rear tire took 10 grams of weight, it actually could have been less if I wanted to file the weight down some. The front tire took no weight at all. On a closed track with a professional rider it was observed that at >90 mph there was no sign of imbalance :)

Now I've got good tires with real tread depth so I'm ready for EOM, not that it ever rains or anything. Or, has hurricanes in the area during hurricane season.