What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed my grip buddies on the 2015. What a PIA but I got them on. I then installed my new Chinese nock off levers. Now to go buy some more crap.

Never ends,

Dave

Chiropractor is out, Acupuncter is out. I have one other thing to try if it doesn't improve tomorrow. I will go anyway even if I sit by the pool and drink all week.

Dave

Sucks to hear that Dave. I have some lower back issues myself and fully understand.

I rode mine to work today.

Got it out for a ride. I've been needing the cage a bit to much lately.

Chiropractor is out, Acupuncter is out. I have one other thing to try if it doesn't improve tomorrow. I will go anyway even if I sit by the pool and drink all week.
Dave
Have you tried a hot tub? Followed by some careful stretching after you get it loosened up?

Last edited by a moderator:
08FJR4ME posted: I will go anyway even if I sit by the pool and drink all week.
Dave
Ummmm, that's sorta been a common theme for every FJR event I've attended. It's also a big reason why I keep coming to them.

Yeah, well, you've never been to NERDS. That's where "New England Riders Do Stuff".

Yeah, there's after hours drinkin' and swearin' and hangin about... But one of the Stuff things we Do is to ride around the Vermont, Upstate New York and New Hampshire countryside with impunity!
laugh.png

You could rectify that shortcoming this year. It ain't all that far, and it's a whole lot nicer riding weather up here in August. Jus' sayin'.

hppants posted: I will make it to NERDS one year. It can't be this year, but next hopefully.
Yeah, Fred W, I'm looking at 2018. Seriously. It's gotta be cooler temps than Atlanta. Maybe we'll see a moose.

It was as hot when I was in Chicago as it was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago! Wish I'd packed shorts!

Anyhooo.... took Elvira for a spin, lunch meeting. Full mesh gear, felt really good on the way there but coming home was a bit toasty..

I installed my exhaust shield. Took all of 10 minutes. That's about it. Stayed home today and rested the back. Slightly better today but it kills me to sit down. I have to remember I can no longer do all the shit I used to do 10 or 20 years ago. The mind is willing but the body says no way.

Dave

Got the call from the insurance adjuster yesterday...stopped at the dealer on my way home, and they were in the process of ordering all of my new parts...hope to have the bike back in my garage in a couple of weeks. Woohoo!!!
Wait, what?! Did I miss something? What happened to your bike Joe??

I did a little PM, and a good thing too. I bought my bike in the spring so I'm new to the FJR. After lot's of surfing and knowledge questing (much on this site) I decided to check the the old spline lube. I that was only for Oil Heads. Sure enough, bone dry. I also discovered it was time for new rear brake pads so I changed those too. Who torques a caliper bolt so tight it starts to round the head? I was told the bike had been "Dealer Serviced". Truth.

I did a little PM, and a good thing too. I bought my bike in the spring so I'm new to the FJR. After lot's of surfing and knowledge questing (much on this site) I decided to check the the old spline lube. I that was only for Oil Heads. Sure enough, bone dry. I also discovered it was time for new rear brake pads so I changed those too. Who torques a caliper bolt so tight it starts to round the head? I was told the bike had been "Dealer Serviced". Truth.
There is no requirement to grease the forward splines on the drive shaft. There is no motion between the two halves of that joint during operation. All of the motion is in the rear spline, inside the oil seal at the final drive housing. People grease that forward joint so it will not get too rusty and be difficult to disassemble in the future. There have been no reports of the forward spline failing on an FJR with or without greasing.

Glad you found the worn brake pads before too late. FYI... those 2nd Gen caliper slide pins (assume that is what you are talking about since there are no rear caliper bolts) have been known to seize up in the caliper due to corrosion, even if not over torqued. The correct torque is only 19 ft-lb dry Unless the brake pads were previously changed, that may be the first time that those caliper pins were ever removed.

The FSM calls for silicone grease on the slide part of the pins only. The threaded part was installed dry in the factory. Since they do tend to seize, it is a good idea to remove them and put some anti-seize on those threads, but make sure to reduce the torque by about 25% to compensate for the grease.

Latest posts