What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8474871964_4ca9e501ea_m.jpg
8474869322_b02c1ae05d_m.jpg
8474865408_e90ff32abe_m.jpg

Installed a Mag-Knight Tank protector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ditched work early to get in some saddle time. It has been raining for the last 3 days.

I spent the 1st 15 minutes strapping the tailbag on the new (to me) rear rack (again)

IMG_20130214_155909.jpg

Oops, someone parked a bike right in the view of the falls.

IMG_20130214_155959.jpg

This is High Falls, Ga.

Off I75 exit 198, 40 miles south of Atlanta.

Removed my Garmin 2720 and the tech-mount it was on, including the yellow rubber ball that served as a shock cushion.
smile.png

Tomorrow I'll install my new Garmin Montana and the mount for it. Since I prefer to put things on a dash shelf, I bought the Garmin marine mount which will sit on the shelf without the tech-mount and place the Montana in about the same position my 2720 was in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today i picked up anthor lot of painted bit mirrors, side covers,1 side of the fairing, & the wind screen piece

the painter will hopefully have the rest finished this week, then my fun begins.

Collected some coolant & rear grease as i just replaced the back tyre

so my weekend will be servicing the beast..Cheers

Well got my TechSpec Snake Skin put on to my tank, decent protection I have now!! Apart from it, went from my new stock shaped CB windshield to the old CB flip back, what a blessing. So I'm kind of in a regretful state for having bought that stock shape shield....... But oh well, at least we did something for da economy didn't we?
rolleyes.gif

Treated my wife to Rich's for a custom seat on her car in disguise (CanAm Spyder) so I was her hero for V-Day...pretty cool. ANYWAYS now come the venting part. Sure I love me ma PNW, yet out of ALL DAYS possible, it has to rain while we are driving from Olympia to Kingston
banghead.gif
Not that I mind, happens a lot around here BUT!

That's the result WTF is wrong with you rain focking my bike up soo bad
tongue.png

8476214248_0e3d8394de.jpg

That's just NASTY and TOTALLY out of line..... well an hour of elbow grease and she will shine, AGAIN!!! That had to get out of my system. TGIF, yer all have a nice weekend...I will make ma bike shine again.

V
RPK

Today I ordered a Morgan Carbtune, which:

1) triggered an alert at my credit union that rejected the transaction and shut off my debit card for a fraud attempt until I called them,

and

2) after the order was succesful, I got this message in the email:

Specific Carbtune extra instruction:DO NOT SUCK CARBTUNE WITH YOUR MOUTH.

Since it's Friday, I'll invite y'all to your own efforts at that email confirmation warning.

Removed my Garmin 2720 and the tech-mount it was on, including the yellow rubber ball that served as a shock cushion.
smile.png

Tomorrow I'll install my new Garmin Montana and the mount for it. Since I prefer to put things on a dash shelf, I bought the Garmin marine mount which will sit on the shelf without the tech-mount and place the Montana in about the same position my 2720 was in.
So, where you goin' this summer, Geezdog? A trip to the Golden State?

smile.png

So, where you goin' this summer, Geezdog? A trip to the Golden State?
I have a lot of plans, but none will be that far west. I was thinking about coming out to the Gathering of the Clans but the timing is not right. Right after Easter Thingfish and I are heading to the Florida Keys and then over to New Orleans. That will start the season for me.

I'll be at the Colorado Cluster. Will I see you there?

painted center stand and side stand,put on wynpro foot thingy on her fjr and my fjr,put saddle bag decal/reflectors on her fjr,new windshield screws on her fjr,new tank protector on her fjr.new foot pegs on wild bill plates on her fjr.shined up both of them for a ride tomorrow.

Finished mounting the new tires. Installed windscreen. Got her running for :15 as I watched the snow fall outside the open garage door.

Contemplating mounting a set of aux. lights I've had for a while. Need to find or figure out some way to mount them. That's my only sticking point there...

Installed led's in the instrument cluster. Sandpaper and a silver sharpie eliminated hotspots. Led's in the turn signal indicators are much brighter. Also much brighter in the warning lights but too bright in high beam indicator. Went with a stock lamp there. Taking the nose off wasn't too bad, reinstalling could be a different story.

I started out putting an FZ1 fuseblock under the seat. Now the bike is scattered across the shop due to compounding farkles. Next up, manual cct.

I finally got around to doing this Relay Arm. This is on a 2010 with 21,000 miles. I am glad I did not wait any longer. I will likely replace the bushings and bearings the next time I do this service. As I think this is worn pretty bad for low mileage I will do this service again next winter. The bearings had a little oil on them, but I did not see any grease.

This picture shows the wear on the center Relay Arm Bushing. It was the worst of the bunch, and while I wish I had a new one here to put in, I am sure it will be just fine for a while yet.

SwingArmBushingWear_zpsb2776819.jpg

Here is the Relay Arm and the three bushings that go inside. The Center one was the only Relay Arm Bushing that had noticable wear. None of these bushings or the bearings had much lube.

RelayArm_zps50c90f14.jpg

Here is the Dog Bone to Swing Arm Bushing. It also had some wear and a lack of grease. I feel the same way about this one as I do the Relay Arm Bushing. If I had the part on hand I would replace it along with the Bearings, but I am not concerned enough about the wear to pull it apart agian for replacement before I service the unit again.

RelayArmBushingWear_zps038e03cd.jpg

Based on the wear I am seeing at 21,000 miles, it is my opinion that this service needs to be done at least when it is recommended in the service manual, and I will likely do it every year. It seemed like a lot of grease went into the bearings and I left the plastic retainers in there. I don't know if the grease just gets washed out, or if it is somthing special in Japan and is just not used during assembly. I guess we will see how much is still in there when we take it apart next time.

I took the bolts out of the exhaust on both sides. I flexed the exhaust enough to remove the center stand and the Relay Arm with no problems. I never thought I was even close to hurting anything. I did not cut or shorten anything. I did not grind anything. I put all the bolts back in the way they came out.

This is not a difficult job, but it is time comsuming. It is important that you be careful. You are somehow suspending or balancing 650 pounds, and you are removing pieces that keep the bike suspended between the tires. It is not a good idea to get distracted, and you should check everything you do twice. More so here than with other services because you are working overhead in tight spots with poor visability. It would be easy to miss a nut.