What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to have my stock windscreen tinted but the guy said it wouldn't take the heat shrinking (curvy sheild) and would melt the plastic.
Years ago I remember seeing tint in a spray can, can't find it anywhere though, have to look on fleabay I guess.
Stay away from canned tint, bad bad news unless you have a few screens to play with.

Home Depot and a few others have rolls of tint screen you apply with a bit of water and patience.You'll be far happier with the end result as you can remove your mistakes without ruining the windshield.

Took Jackie-O to work this morning. Was aboot 36 degrees. Felt colder, though. Had a couple of smokes before going through the turnstyle to imprisonment. Oh, spilled some coffee on the seat. Will have to clean that up sometime soon.

Went to have my stock windscreen tinted but the guy said it wouldn't take the heat shrinking (curvy sheild) and would melt the plastic.
Years ago I remember seeing tint in a spray can, can't find it anywhere though, have to look on fleabay I guess.
Stay away from canned tint, bad bad news unless you have a few screens to play with.

Home Depot and a few others have rolls of tint screen you apply with a bit of water and patience.You'll be far happier with the end result as you can remove your mistakes without ruining the windshield.
Can you elaborate why the spray tint is "bad news" it may be something I could deal with?

Don't think you can use the sheets because you have to use heat to shrink them to fit the contour of the windscreen like I posted above.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've helped several folks attempts at using spray on, with less than spectacular results.

First the screen must be perfectly clean as any imperfection will stand out. Then you have to be real careful about spray thickness as this stuff is like a track meet in a can.

Add to that consistent layers are hard to achieve.

It can be done but as I said before, make sure you have a few pieces of plastic to play with first.

Film isn't that bad as you have to cut it oversize "work" it.. I've done 2 face-shields and the curve is far tighter.

Didn't use a heat gun but maybe it would have made it easier.

Stop being cheap and take it to a professional tint guy. They'll easily deal with the curve of the shield and might warranty it.

Polly less than $25 and way less frustrating. Prolly cheaper anyway by the time you do it and re-do it.

Quit arguing. just because you know what you are talking about. In this case it doesn't count
tonguesmiley.gif

Went to my local dealer to check out the ground spider recall & have a wee gander at the new '13.

Lo & behold bike hasn't had the spider sorted so that's going to get done under warranty. I'll get her serviced @'the same time.

Had a drool over the GenIII so I might go for a test ride next week. Dealer is keen to get some miles on his demo machine.

(Hook, line & sinker methinks?).

Went to my local dealer to check out the ground spider recall & have a wee gander at the new '13. Lo & behold bike hasn't had the spider sorted so that's going to get done under warranty. I'll get her serviced @'the same time. Had a drool over the GenIII so I might go for a test ride next week. Dealer is keen to get some miles on his demo machine. (Hook, line & sinker methinks?).
Have fun on the '13.

Take pictures of your new baby after you buy it...

rolleyes.gif

Stop being cheap and take it to a professional tint guy. They'll easily deal with the curve of the shield and might warranty it.
Polly less than $25 and way less frustrating. Prolly cheaper anyway by the time you do it and re-do it.
My first post states that I took it to a pro tint shop, like I said, he said the tint has to be shrunk with heat to fit the contours of the windscreen and he could tell as he was trying to do that the windscreen would not take the heat so he stopped.

His cost was $60.00, "if" he could do it.

I've helped several folks attempts at using spray on, with less than spectacular results.First the screen must be perfectly clean as any imperfection will stand out. Then you have to be real careful about spray thickness as this stuff is like a track meet in a can.

Add to that consistent layers are hard to achieve.

It can be done but as I said before, make sure you have a few pieces of plastic to play with first.

Film isn't that bad as you have to cut it oversize "work" it.. I've done 2 face-shields and the curve is far tighter.

Didn't use a heat gun but maybe it would have made it easier.
Ok Thanks.

I may try the film to see how it works out.

Quit arguing. just because you know what you are talking about. In this case it doesn't count
tonguesmiley.gif
Funny man.

According to the Pro Tint shop he's wrong, but I appreciate his input and opinion and won't jump all over his Ass for it.
Just a thought, why not buy an aftermarket screen already tinted? Very few have been 100% satisfied with the stock screen anyway. You might find a tinted aftermarket screen that actually performs much better on the bike as well as being a "perfect" tint job.

tonguesmiley.gif
Funny man.

According to the Pro Tint shop he's wrong, but I appreciate his input and opinion and won't jump all over his Ass for it.
Just a thought, why not buy an aftermarket screen already tinted? Very few have been 100% satisfied with the stock screen anyway. You might find a tinted aftermarket screen that actually performs much better on the bike as well as being a "perfect" tint job.
Yeah I thought about that Red, (Thanks for the suggestion) but I don't have the spare $200.00 right now.

Aw ****...This lack of sleep is screwing with my mojo. I passed right over the tint-shop part of your first post. Sorry.

However, $60 for that is insane, and I would get a second opinion. Maybe ask a guy with more experience. If they really can't do it, just save up and spend the $100 bucks on a Cal-Si Tinted Shorty. I'm really not into just spending money, but I can't stand stuff that looks like crap.

That spray stuff can be difficult, and bad bubbled tint makes me crazy.

Aw ****...This lack of sleep is screwing with my mojo. I passed right over the tint-shop part of your first post. Sorry.
However, $60 for that is insane, and I would get a second opinion. Maybe ask a guy with more experience. If they really can't do it, just save up and spend the $100 bucks on a Cal-Si Tinted Shorty. I'm really not into just spending money, but I can't stand stuff that looks like crap.

Yeah maybe I'll try another tint shop but I know the place I went has been there for years.

Thanks.

Just checked and Cee Bailey sells a +2"H +4"W in dark gray tint for $160. I know that may seem steep but it is a first rate product. Other than the tint, that is my windshield of choice for the FJR. Of course even I am not stupid enough to get into "What windshield is Right For You!", just offering some options.

If you have not dealt with any other shields for the FJR it is hard to believe how much difference the right shield can make.

Yeah maybe I'll try another tint shop but I know the place I went has been there for years.

Thanks.
I just sprayed the back side with black spray paint, I went with a shorter dark smoke Cee Bailey's