What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on vacation for 3 weeks (as of last Friday afternoon), so no commuting for the Feej for a while :D

Instead, I rode her over to the local Home Depot to pick up a some nuts and bolts for my project truck... Rode 'er home, moved 'er around the garage several times to work on said project truck, then rode her down to have a beer with a friend.

Installed GenMar risers today. You might remember Billy Joel's The Entertainer where he says "things I didn't know at first I learned by doing twice". That about sums it up. Successful installation, but it probably took close to 3 hours. If I'd install another pair, I could get it done in about a half hour. I'm a slow learner but have a good memory (of what not to do).
Due to a case of the dropsy's, I found out how to take most of the bike's tupperware off. Similar experience putting in the Stiffy the other day. Even though I read quite a few posts about how to do install the risers, and took precautions, I still found a way to get a nut stuck in the deep recesses under the tank. Ironically, I bought this brand new bike because I was tired of always having something to work on with my '98s.

I'll have one more adventure when I install the SR357 rack for the Givi case. I already know how to take the whole back apart because of the Stiffy, so maybe that one won't be as trying.
You don't have to disassemble the rear to do the SR357. Just remove the seat and 5 bolts. If your holes line up this is a 5 minute job.

And doing the risers is much easier if you have an extra pair of hands at a couple key moments. They don't even have to be smart, just able to hold things in place or pull up on the front wheel.

I pestered RFH and others to the point of distraction before I put my risers on. Extra hand makes it easy. Solo, not as much. The SR357 could not be easier to put on. It's as simple as simple gets, and I could screw up a ham sandwich. I can remove the SR357 and refit the stock rack (or vice versa) in about 2 minutes.

You don't have to disassemble the rear to do the SR357. Just remove the seat and 5 bolts. If your holes line up this is a 5 minute job.
And doing the risers is much easier if you have an extra pair of hands at a couple key moments. They don't even have to be smart, just able to hold things in place or pull up on the front wheel.
I put my risers on. Extra hand makes it easy. Solo, not as much. The SR357 could not be easier to put on. It's as simple as simple gets, and I could screw up a ham sandwich. I can remove the SR357 and refit the stock rack (or vice versa) in about 2 minutes.
There were several moments during the risers installation where I wished I had that extra set of hands. I'm glad to hear that the SR357 installation is not a major operation. If Redfish has it as a 5 minute job, I should be able to get it done in under an hour.
unsure.png

As to what I did to my FJR today... Had a 240 mile PGR mission, which allowed me to try out the new risers. Might not have been a fair test because I was pretty achy before I even left. However, overall I did not notice any improvement in comfort over the stock position. I have another 200 miler tomorrow, so that should give a better indication. I held on to the stock bracket (sans wire looms) and hardware, so I can always change back if necessary.

After I got back, I ordered T-Rex frame sliders and MC Enterprises luggage guards. I've always thought that drop guards were too clunky looking. But the T-Rex pucks are almost good looking, and the MC luggage guards are very unobtrusive. In addition, about a half year ago, I had one of my C-10s fall over in a parking lot, and the amount of damage, and the amount of work to repair, was a major PITA. Besides; it's only money, right?
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I forced my FJR to lane split between two columns of cars waiting on a very long left turn arrow, then forced her to u-turn on the red arrow when I reached the stop bar.

She forgave me immediately by shifting up flawlessly at 7,000 rpm .... three times.

I forced my FJR to lane split between two columns of cars waiting on a very long left turn arrow, then forced her to u-turn on the red arrow when I reached the stop bar.
She forgave me immediately by shifting up flawlessly at 7,000 rpm .... three times.
Damn hoodlums! Or is that Hudlum? :)

It was a freeway entrance ramp, and the cars were spread as far apart as .... well, there was lots of space between them. I live in Martin Luther King's hometown: my actions were a non-violent protest against red lights that are too long.
innocent.gif

I forced my FJR to lane split between two columns of cars waiting on a very long left turn arrow, then forced her to u-turn on the red arrow when I reached the stop bar. She forgave me immediately by shifting up flawlessly at 7,000 rpm .... three times.
Damn hoodlums! Or is that Hudlum?
smile.png
Hudlum, another one of those coffee on the keyboard times.
lol.gif

^^chuckle^^
grin.gif

I left her in the shed again because of all the dammed rain we've had this past week. Don't want to get the bearings wet.
no.gif

Received and installed the super sized Givi SR357 rack that I got from Garauld TechWorks (Gary Crowley). Besides the excellent work on the super sized rack, Gary also fabbed a flag mount that can be bolted to the SR357 rack. I told him what I needed, and he made exactly what I asked for. Redfish was right; the SR357 was an easy install. Take a look.

I then installed the Givi box. I got the V47. I am happy with everything I got from Gary.

Tomorrow, I'll install the side case guards and frame sliders that also arrived today. After reading the instructions, I don't anticipate any real problems with them. Once installed, I will be done with the farkling; at least until Seth Laam takes care of my seat...

I worked with people on the flood recovery yesterday until 6 pm - just dog tired from the heat. SWMBO and I double dated with my friend MikeP (versys) and his SWMBO. Mike informed me that they were going riding today with another friend Randy and his SWMBO, and wanted to know if we were interested in joining them.

Ms. Pants wasn't too crazy about it, but I talked her into it. We were also joined by Randy's son, who rides this AWESOME Honda 500X that I simply fell in love with. I didn't take but a few pictures, so it doesn't really qualify as a ride report.

Mike is really loving his big Versys. He's already got almost 1000 miles on it, and has been farkling away (it's a sickness, really).

DSCN1089_zpsd0jbwshc.jpg

SOQS is having fun. She made me turn around and go back home for her hat. Didn't want helmet hair in front of the other ladies.

DSCN1090_zpsr83ytikx.jpg

Randy rides the big V-strom. Had the rims powder coated and they really pop.

DSCN1091_zpsx6uhjkfm.jpg

It was just what the doctor ordered. We rode about 175 miles through the woods north of Lafayette, and also through some flooded areas (roads receded of course). The weather was overcast, and the temperature was actually tolerable while moving at highway speeds.

Took a nap this afternoon. I'm ready to get back to work tomorrow.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Rode it to the Counting Crows concert, after picking up my almost new r3!
You can pick up 368lbs? Go Allen!

What is the R3 for?
Lol. The r3 is for around town, short rides and to put on a carrier on my motorhome when I want local transportation while camping anywhere in the country (so I don't have to use the rv for local runs)

Added my body guards (T-Rex frame sliders & MC Enterprises case guards). Finally something that didn't take forever to install.

I'm only going to have the Givi trunk on during road trips. I noticed that with the top case on, if I take both hands off the bars at above 50 mph, the front end goes into a wobble. This doesn't happen at any speed without the case on. Most disquieting. With the storage space of the side cases, I really don't need the top case other than for road trips so I'll find a spot on my storage rack in the garage.

This wraps up the farkling until I get my Laam in September.

Windshield.

And why, why, WHY is it that we must take our hands off the bars? Why?

The bike is really looking good. Not as good as mine of course, but good.

Every bike is different. I didn't get any wobble at any speed with the E55 or V47. Or without. May be because of the size of the rider and choice of shield, too.

On a more topical note, since I can't do anything to the bike, I tidied an already pretty tidy garage. Bowflex is up from the entertainment room until the FJR is back, just so that space doesn't look so empty.

I decided to make the most of getting hoodwinked a while back. A Canadian sold me tech-spec pads for an FJR. Threw some other stuff in. Didn't end up using the other stuff, (anodized aluminum bar ends don't weigh enough. Vibes so bad my vision blurred), and the tech spec pads were 1) not for an FJR, and 2) were hacked up around the edges, so they weren't suitable for any bike. I normally keep an automobile rear floormat by my parking space in the garage. I snag it with my toe and pull it up before putting the sidestand/Wynpro puck down, so I don't have steel on concrete. Do the same when I'm putting it on the center stand. I decided the bastardized techspec pads will do fine for fixed sidestand/centerstand pads.