What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a home for Farklestein Junior (FJR) in my stable. I have two '98 Kawasaki C-10s, and adding a third big girl was going to take some doing. I threw a bunch of crap out, rearranged the rest, and made it with room to spare (sorta).

I pulled the left case off my PGR C-10 (the right case is a mounting point for a flag mount and can't be removed). I also pulled both FJR cases just because they go off and on so easily. To get the rest of the space, I bought a Park-n-Move (PnM) dolly and put my other C-10 up on it without its side cases. The PnM works great. You can move the bike easily, and it allows you to park it

tight to a wall.

You soooo need a Cee Bailey windshield on that bike. If you need any ideas on how to spend your money on Farklestein Junior, let me know.

Love that version of FJR too BTW.

Rode my bike to the Texas Roadhouse bike. I'm pretty sure my bike was the dirtiest one there, so i parked next to a brand new custom chopper.

Great idea! I only had one when I started riding on a 1978 Suzuki GS750E back in the early 80's in Roswell, GA (although I was just as close to Marietta as Roswell).
I had a '79 GS750E. That was a fun bike!

1979_GS750E_sweeping_800.jpg
I had the 78 GS750 in a teal blue, and spoke wheels. It was fun, but i had an accident on it and replaced the tank, tail cowlings and decals with that black and gold. It still looked like new and ran great if you could tune the 4-Mikuni carburetors, and change the points. I loved that bike, but welcomed electronic ignitions and fuel injection. BTW, dual front disks, rear disk brake and other features on this inline 4-cyl 750 were totally a game changer, and it's easy to see why we ended up with FJRs. I ran mine with a windshield, but many used Vetter fairings.
I remove the points in mine and added electronic ignition, a Kerker pipe and re-jetted the carbs. I got quite good at re-syncing the carbs after each adjustment.

You soooo need a Cee Bailey windshield on that bike.
Actually, I am super impressed with the Yamaha touring windshield. At the risk of raising the ire of the ATGATT crowd, I went out for a cool off ride after working on the shed today. Toward the end of a leisurely ride, I found myself on an stretch of highway and I briefly whistled it up to 95 mph. My baseball cap, with the bill forward, never moved an inch. Even the Madstad on my C-10 can't match that.

For the record, I go full ATGATT probably 80% of the time; I'm a great believer. However, at times I make a conscious decision to not gear up. It doesn't make me stupid or a Darwin candidate; it just means I have a higher risk tolerance. I figured I'd mention that to head off the inevitable sermons following the cap story.

I will spare you the lecture. What I will tell you about the windshield is, yes it is good. It could be better. Think of it like this: A little boy has never ever tasted candy in his life. One day someone gives him half of a Hershey Bar. He is delighted, it is The Greatest Thing Ever.

He has no idea that he only got half of it.

Changed the thermostat. Easy with a little bit of help from the forum help blogs.

Yamaha Part # 4FM-12410-00 Thermostat Assy

Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula/Silicate & Borate Free 5 Year/150,000 Miles 50/50 Pre-mixed

I did something to my FJR that I have not done for a couple months at least. I left it parked at home while I drove the truck to work.

I do not mind riding in the rain but if I have to cross flood waters and deal with downed trees I prefer my 4WD Duramax.

In spite of the flooding and misery surrounding me, or perhaps because of it, I rode the FJR to work. My co-workers are amazed. Half of them are amazed that I ride in this stuff, the other half are amazed at my stupidity. I think the wheel bearings are gonna get wet on my ride home.

Cleaned most of the Canadian dirt off the bike, sending that into the Labs at Goober Central.

Still have some bituminous material spots on the cans and plastic from the paving work zones between Pemberton and Whistler.

Damn George! That bike was dirty! D'ja get any on ya?

There was a time when I had "Captain" in front of my name on my fishing shirts so water and hydroplaning are things I have experience with. Unlike that unfortunate young man I also have some experience with Air Boats. An air boat will plane off and run over shallow water or almost no water. It takes HUGE horsepower to keep it on plane over deep water. Without the pressure wave against the bottom an air boat will fall off plane and become a displacement hull. IF and I say IF I have to run my FJR through water it will NOT be deep and my speed will be low.

I think I am going to be using the Duramax for the next few days.

Rode her on her first PGR mission. 410 miles out to western Maryland and back. Man!; I like this bike. Note the Wynpro, Redfish... Thanks!

The trip pushed the mileage total to 620. I have it scheduled for its 600 mile break-in service tomorrow. I could do it myself, but I want it documented for warranty concerns down the road.

Get yourself a nice Cee Bailey with the dark tint and you will not have to raise the shield as high. That yellow banner will really stand out nicely against the dark tint too.

And the WynPro stuff is top notch. I admire and respect good craftsmanship and I like seeing others benefit from quality like that.

And since your bike will NEVER look as good as mine I do not mind helping you improve it.
smile.png

You soooo need a Cee Bailey windshield on that bike.
Get yourself a nice Cee Bailey with the dark tint and you will not have to raise the shield as high. That yellow banner will really stand out nicely against the dark tint too.
You wouldn't happen to have stock in Cee Bailey, would you?
derisive.gif

I look over the top of my windshield, so the height is inconsequential. But you're right; the dark tint would make the yellow banner pop. How am I supposed to get the $220+ past the appropriations committee when I just dropped $147 on the touring windshield that I told her works great? I gotta admit though, that extra 3 inches wider sounds like a winner for cold weather (I ride year 'round).

Today (actually yesterday), I sat on my bike in the shop and gave thanks.

I gave thanks for being spared from the incredible flood waters that have spread throughout my home city, Parish, and State. The water got within inches (less than an inch at one point) from inundating my home, but miraculously, the rain stopped on Saturday evening, and slowly (ever so slowly), the water is receding toward the Vermillion River.

My gratefulness comes with a little bit of sorrow and guilt over my many (MANY) neighbors, friends, co-workers, and even extended family that were not so lucky. They will be fine, I'm sure of it. How long it takes to get to the point I cannot say. All I can do is what I am doing - lend my talents and my resources to any who need....

.... and be humbly grateful.

Last edited by a moderator: