What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the very clean rebuilt shock! Big shout out to --G!
[img=[URL="https://i.imgur.com/eTD2nMO.jpg%5D"]https://i.imgur.com/eTD2nMO.jpg][/URL]

Installed the shock late today, bled the rear brake, front side only, and will ride it on Monday! This retirement gig is awesome.
He made me clean mine up first. Guy does dam good work, doesn't he.

Finally designed a way to mount the Bushtec hitch and the resevoir for the Penske. New T30 evos and a nice day. Rode 40 miles up to Chelan for a coffee. Fell in love with this bike all over again.
I use two 14" wire ties and some tool box foam to mount my Penske reservoir. Works great.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fontanaman" data-cid="1392322" data-time="1521436441"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="juniorfjr" data-cid="1392320" data-time="1521435672"><p>Finally designed a way to mount the Bushtec hitch and the resevoir for the Penske. New T30 evos and a nice day. Rode 40 miles up to Chelan for a coffee. Fell in love with this bike all over again.</p></blockquote>

<br />

I use two 14" wire ties and some tool box foam to mount my Penske reservoir. Works great.</p></blockquote>

I used the bracket that GP supplied with the shock. Found a couple of screws 10mm longer and bolted it to the rear peg set as designed but with a 1/4 spacer to compensate for the hitch thickness. Really tight in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode it to work this morning, again. Today is special though. It makes 365 consecutive days I've managed to ride a motorcycle for 10 or more miles on the street! My "perfect year" has come to fruition! I'd write a ride report but it would be pretty boring and repetitive without very many pictures though. FWIW, I will tell you all this. This has been the toughest challenge involving motorcycling that I've ever done. Perhaps if i lived in a more hospitable climate this would be no big deal. South central Pennsylvania is not that area! I've ridden in temps from 7 to over 100 degrees. I've ridden in rain, high winds, and during a few winter weather advisories where they requested people just stay home and off the roads entirely. I've set an alarm and gotten out of bed at midnight to sneak in a ride before a winter snow storm hit or stayed up to do that ride on a weekend night at least 5 or 6 of the days. All but about 4 days have been on the FJR. No dual sports or anything with knobbies in my garage strictly street tires on street bikes. I had to plug a rear tire and hope that it held up on a Friday afternoon in December knowing my chances of getting a tire locally were not good.

I've got an IBA number earned by doing a Saddlesore ride but this challenge was actually much harder. Don't get me wrong any Iron Butt ride is tough but it's one day or maybe a couple of days for all but the most extreme rides. A whole year of finding or making time to fit in a ride makes me even more proud to have that plate backer on my bike. I'm going to continu to ride every day and see just how far I can take this and I'll continue to update my totals for everybody. I've got a long way to go to catch up with my buddy Blaine Paulus, assuming I live long enough!

Thanks to all of you who've been cheering me on and offering support!

BkerChuck posted: Today is special though. It makes 365 consecutive days I've managed to ride a motorcycle for 10 or more miles on the street!
Congratulations, brother! Without a doubt, you deserve your Iron Butt plate backer.

<<snip>> I used the bracket that GP supplied with the shock. Found a couple of screws 10mm longer and bolted it to the rear peg set as designed but with a 1/4 spacer to compensate for the hitch thickness. Really tight in there.
Glad you got the Penske mounted 'junior...remember to save the bolt!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

I've got an IBA number earned by doing a Saddlesore ride but this challenge was actually much harder. Don't get me wrong any Iron Butt ride is tough but it's one day or maybe a couple of days for all but the most extreme rides. A whole year of finding or making time to fit in a ride makes me even more proud to have that plate backer on my bike
Congrats Chuck! I've enjoyed following your adventure in this thread. I totally agree with your comment. I've done the Saddlesore and got the plate, but that's nothing like the dedication you went through in all the weather and crap you had to deal with. Job well done. I still think you might need to have your mental health checked, though. :)

This snowstorm looks like it could end your streak. By far the largest snowfall of the season here in Pittsburgh, and more coming in your direction.

Tom, It was funny going out at midnight. I'd already decided I would set an alarm, get up, and look out the window first. If my driveway and road were clear I'd get up and get dressed then go out and see if it was slippery out. Coast was clear so I got my miles in. Provided roads are clear and I can get my miles Thursday before midnight I'm golden. I may break down and take my neighbor's offer of the use of their Riva scooter though to get it done.

Looks like I got it this time at least 8" out there. Still snowing but not heavy. Some places in South central PA well over a foot.

Put some air in tires on Sunday and it started up. WOW. Took a short ride on SW scooter. FFff winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and it started up. WOW. ...
If that's the FJR, make sure you run it at least until it's come off the fast idle. One time in ten, an FJR will flood and be difficult to start the next time you go to start it if it was shut down cold.

PA weather at least where I live is nuts! It started snowing Wednesday morning around 3 or 4 and by the time I went to work we had several inches. It continued on and off all day and into the night. Thursday morning we had probably 10-12 inches at my house and I figured that was it, the streak would be over. I had to shovel out the end of my driveway just to get my truck out this morning after the plow went through. Half our shop called in the past 2 days because of the snow. Some areas saw more than 16 inches! Around 8 or 9 am the sun starting getting really bright and warm and by luch time our plowed parking lot was actually dry. I began to have hope I could get my miles in.

Haircut appointment after work and I noted on the way there and back that the roads were pretty much all completely clear and dry. Success in mine! Fresh back from 16 miles and a fuel stop. Day 368!!! Keeping the dream alive!

Streak continues, rode it to work this morning for day 380. New Givi V56 trunk now mounted. Wish I'd bought that to begin with instead of OEM trunk. Much roomier and with SR357 mount much sturdier.

Latest posts