What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode into work this morning. The new RSIIIs feel good so far. I changed the tires and the fork oil over the weekend, and the fork oil made a huge difference. I don't know when the last time it was changed (I've only had the bike for 12k miles), but I wish I would have changed it when I got the bike.

Now I need to start saving for springs and a shock...

The tires I took off were Continental Road Attack 2s. They were really nice as far as grip and handling goes. I never had them slip out on me. The wear leaves something to be desired. They were removed after 7400 miles. There was tread left on both tires (a lot of tread on the rear), but the rear was squared and I could see the change in rubber texture and the faint trace of where the cords are underneath. The front was badly feathered and felt down right lumpy. I am a fairly aggressive rider (brake hard and accelerate hard - difficult to resist on the FJR...), so I am not too surprised at the wear. I hope the RSIIIs do better.

Home safe after 6 1/2 days and about 2400 miles. Went up to north Georgia and played around up there.

Ride report to follow - stay tuned!!

Got home from TOH SS1K, planned to wash and wax the next day, and ended up doing nothing but soaking the bugs off the leading surfaces and changing oil, filter, and FD fluid. Changed from barkbusters to bar weights and Cee Bailey barn door to v-stream 20308 in recognition of warmer weather. Thank

Got home from TOH SS1K, planned to wash and wax the next day, and ended up doing nothing but soaking the bugs off the leading surfaces and changing oil, filter, and FD fluid. Changed from barkbusters to bar weights and Cee Bailey barn door to v-stream 20308 in recognition of warmer weather. Thank

Finally picked up a new to me 2004 abs. Bought from a dealer but no service history so going over many of the items you guys suggest to determine condition where possible. So far i've flushed brake and clutch fluids, cleaned and re-greased the final drive, checked final drive oil and it looks brand new, as does the engine oil. Waiting to purchase new o-rings, then take a deep breath and do a valve check since i have no clue when the last time it may have been checked, and at 95000 kms (59k miles) it's due anyhow.

Hope weather improves soon, as for now i'm left with sitting on it and making vroom vroom noises....

^Congrats and best of luck with it. Sold my '04 with just short of 70k and it really had nothing wrong with it. When you're ready to lift the tank and dig in post back up as I'm sure some will give you tips on things to check out.

Will do.

Can't express enough how generous everyone is with advice and tips, makes one a little less nervous about digging in knowing there is such a community to fall back on when it all goes pear shaped. I am glad to report that so far the unit seems to have been well maintained and purrs like a kitten, at least until you crank the throttle.

Was moving my bike from LV to LA - 275 miles. But got distracted and ended up going on a loop through AZ. Made Kingman and Seligman the first day (175 miles) on some very scenic sections of Route 66. The second day was going smooth through Prescott, Phoenix, Superior, and Oracle, when I decided to point back towards LA. Riding in the cool of the night and escaping the desert heat, I never got tired, so kept on going. Arrived home at 3:00 AM this morning after a day of 850+ miles - with stock mounted bars and seat. As I am learning more about my FJR, guess what I will be changing next?!?

Crazy PA Spring weather. 37 degrees showing yesterday on my ride home but it was snowing like crazy. Saw 34 degrees this morning riding in to work and forecast shows in the 70's by Friday. Leaving Friday right after work to start Tour of Honor finally. Nice route for Friday night and Saturday during the day should net me 7 memorials if all goes well.

Day 387 consecutive riding as I continue my streak.

I rode it again and again! What else, it's a fjr...

Last edited by a moderator:
rode it to work again...
smile.png

Pulled off the front forks. Time to have Race Tech adjust the valve shim stacks to something a tad less aggressive. Ah, if only every day were a track day, then I'd be fine.

I don't like the new fareing for changing oil. JMO

Anyway I rode to work today and it felt great !!! It's been a while since I did any length of time on the Feej. If you call a 1/2 hour to work a long ride. LOL

Dave

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="El Toro Joe" data-cid="1394068" data-time="1523670773"><p>

Thrashed it for 364 miles today...on the flat straight and boring roads of SEO</p></blockquote>

Oh you poor soul.

I just got back from our trip to the Keys and WTF, it was 84 degrees in Pittsburgh! I looked at my bike with the seat and tank removed from before I left, and checked the weather and sure enough...Winter will return this week. I was happy to bring the incredible weather north with me, but sadly, I can't hold off the bitch coming from Chicago, or Owasso or wherever it is coming from.

Why are the trees dead here, and why don't I need to mow the lawn yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I shuffled out to the shop to to look at my shop manual only to discover Yamaha still uses the air injection system on the 2018 FJR. I haven't seen one on an automobile engine in years. At least there isn't an air pump too.

Latest posts