What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my custom Russell seat today for me and the wifey and put another Metz Z6 on the back since the original was getting a bit worn. The previous owner had replaced just the front from a puncture, so I figured I'd keep them matched till I replace both. I only got to ride 50 miles this evening and there's nothing but rain for the long weekend, so I may not get much experience on the seat for a bit. Initial reaction was "Oh my gosh, I can't touch the ground!" Then "wait, how do I sit on this correctly?" Then I got more comfortable with the height, and a LOT more comfortable with the seat. It still is going to be more of a challenge to back it up, but I think I'll be ok. I don't have trouble stopping and getting the feet down. My wife loves it already. I will post a real review with pics when I get further along.

Well It's what I am doing for my FJR since I am not done yet. Here are some pic's. to sink your teeth into. Once and a while I have to take time to do some of my own projects.

Made one of these for each side, See if you can guess

Another part of the project. Sorry for the poor lighting conditions.

If all goes well I hope to have this buttoned up this weekend. Now to start on the next part that I need.

Dave

I'm stumped! :huh:

But knowing you, Dave, when you tell us what it is we'll probably all want to have one! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit procrastinating this month and installed the Kristas that I got last year in the group buy. :blink:

I also modified the aluminum plate that held my Pelican box on the tail. It was a massive undertaking consisting of drilling a hole in each corner to accept the hooks for a bungee net. I now have the option of just traveling light and open or installing the box for a more secure setup. This also got my 3 flash then solid Whelen brake lights back on the back. She's real easy to see now, coming or going. :yahoo:

The Kristas

IMG_3092s.jpg

The Dimmer Mount

IMG_3093s.jpg

The Right Wire Access

IMG_3094s.jpg

On/Off Switch

IMG_3108s.jpg

And finally, the trunk replacement and Whelens

IMG_3090s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up my 09 with brand new Michelin PR3's and a fresh 12000 mile check. Wow what a difference the new tires make. Fell in love with the bike again. Can't wait to put some miles on, but I have to take my son on the train to cheer the Iowa Hawkeyes tomorrow at Soldier Field in Chicago. Go Hawks!

Finally bit the bullet and thanks to guidance from Bigbeavk's post and loads of input from other Forum members I did a DIY throttle mod a la G2.Going to post up more detail elsewhere later as there were a couple of wrinkles that may help others who wish to do it,or maybe I just didn't read about them first!

Also just fitted (mounted???) my newly arrived Givi V46.Bought from another member along with passenger grab rail and dash panel all in great condition especially the Givi. I've been looking out for one for ages and this has the silver top panel which goes well with the bike color, also have the original black panel too and the Givi mount plate is surplus.

Had a couple of Givi's in my sights recently in the Forum but for different reasons I had to withdraw but I'm v happy with this one.

Oh and raised the bike seat to high setting to see how it suits.My legs and knees are happy but shoulders not so much.

Bar risers needed?

I strapped a Helen Two Wheels large and medium bag onto the passenger seat with all my gear for 30 days out west. Beating feet to Dayton Ohio at 6:00am for the first leg to Aspen for a five day stay in a condo and some great loop rides. NM, AZ, UT, CO, AK, TN, and many other places I have never been.

Jacked the Penskey up three turns on the bottom knob of the shock and will turn the reservoir out or in once I see how it rides with the weight.

Excited for sure.

Charged the battery which according to the 4 hours on the Optimate said, enough your good, I am green. Of course I just ran it 250 miles on Thursday.

16K service just done by me, and tires are 42/42.

I will post up in ride reports of my progress over the 30 days.

Hope to maybe meet some people along the way. Have a guy from the BMW forms going to meet us and ride a bit of orr third leg with us. He was very concerned and writing PM's and e-mails as I recovered when I totaled the LT in 2010.

If anyone wants to show us anything in those States I have a Itinerary that says where and when I will be in each state and location.

Man I am excited, longest total time on the road for me ever.

Finally bit the bullet and thanks to guidance from Bigbeavk's post and loads of input from other Forum members I did a DIY throttle mod a la G2.Going to post up more detail elsewhere later as there were a couple of wrinkles that may help others who wish to do it,or maybe I just didn't read about them first!

Also just fitted (mounted???) my newly arrived Givi V46.Bought from another member along with passenger grab rail and dash panel all in great condition especially the Givi. I've been looking out for one for ages and this has the silver top panel which goes well with the bike color, also have the original black panel too and the Givi mount plate is surplus.

Had a couple of Givi's in my sights recently in the Forum but for different reasons I had to withdraw but I'm v happy with this one.

Oh and raised the bike seat to high setting to see how it suits.My legs and knees are happy but shoulders not so much.

Bar risers needed?

Might have known it had all been done before and I just hadn't seen the posts. I'm learning there's nothing concerning maintenance or modifying or just plain riding the FJR that hasn't been covered by the good people of this Forum.

I'm duly humbled and grateful for access to virtually unlimited knowledge.

I strapped a Helen Two Wheels large and medium bag onto the passenger seat with all my gear for 30 days out west. Beating feet to Dayton Ohio at 6:00am for the first leg to Aspen for a five day stay in a condo and some great loop rides. NM, AZ, UT, CO, AK, TN, and many other places I have never been.

I will post up in ride reports of my progress over the 30 days.

Hope to maybe meet some people along the way. ......

Man I am excited, longest total time on the road for me ever.
Excellent! I'm loading up in a couple of weeks for 12 days on the road. Excited doesn't come close, lol, and 30 days would rock!

Be safe and keep us posted.

Wifey and I tested my tweaks. About 110 mi round trip stopped for a burger, it was good, the tweaks worked well. Life is good. :lol:

Rode it. Installed a PIAA sport horn. Tested it. Smiled. Rode it again.

Have also installed the air horn for my Screamin Eagle. Just need to get around to wiring it up (off season). Also have a second PIAA horn to mount; just not enough time today.

Well It's what I am doing for my FJR since I am not done yet. Here are some pic's. to sink your teeth into. Once and a while I have to take time to do some of my own projects.

Made one of these for each side, See if you can guess

Another part of the project. Sorry for the poor lighting conditions.

If all goes well I hope to have this buttoned up this weekend. Now to start on the next part that I need.

Dave
FJR LED fork lights and switch box, Well it is now done and completed today. They don't throw out a Billion lumens but they sure make you more visible. Something I have been wanting to do since I saw FJREDS bike 2 seasons ago. He made his own setup also. Final picture for the project.

Completed switch-Box.

Installed on handle bars. Green is low intensity Blue is High intensity and red is for the Wig-Wag on the license plate.

I also took care of my squeaking clutch lever. I took that apart and found everything dry as a bone. I little grease and put it back together again.

That is some friggin neat looking machining man and the logo sets it off great.Can I ask what machine you used?

Changed the oil and filter. Mobil 1 motorcycle oil and a Purolator filter I bought in Pep Boys for $7. Leaving tomorrow for the Adirondaks. I`ll post pics when I get back. LD

Washed up my AE and then went for a short ride over to Oshawa to the camera store to look at some Micro Four Thirds cameras. Afterwards stopped for lunch and had a hot chicken sandwich.

Washed it. Took a couple of pictures, 'cos it was glistening in the sun
agent.gif

(Click on image for larger view)

Then put it away
sad.gif