What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washed it. Took a couple of pictures, 'cos it was glistening in the sun
Hard not to do that ain't it :) ? Shortly I'm going for a leisurely ride for a couple hrs and get some of my fave greasy, slimy, battered, fried tater wedges. Best in the whole state. I can feel my arteries clogging up already.

Spent 500 bucks for parts including FZ1 mirrors and Gen1 clutch slave cylinder!

Oh, and a new front stay too..

Changed oil and filter, final drive fluid, installed T-Rex no cut sliders, installed new Calsci windscreen. The sliders were an easy install, great quality for the price, perfect fit. Calsci, meh. Light scratches middle inside of screen, looks like it's been shaking around in the box a bit. Not as clear as the Yamaha tall that came off. Had to use a punch to get the holes to line up. Less turbulent than the factory screen but not exactly dead air behind it. I give it a "C" overall. Probably will send it back due to scratches.

Took it for a short spin. Can't go far because I'm on standby 'til tomorrow, then off for a week. AK-20's delivered tomorrow! :yahoo:

Took it for a nice long ride, and at one point took it up to a buck twenty five indicated, which means it was about a buck twenty in reality. These FJRs are awesome, confidence inspiring bikes. So now I'll go out to the garage and wash the bugs off.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hate to see Don spend all that money because next week I am bolting it all on for him. He's such a slave driver. :lol:

On mine I did oil,filter, air filter, flushed the fluids and lubed the levers. Ready for the Reuben run and the Volcano ride. :yahoo:

Hard not to do that ain't it :) ? Shortly I'm going for a leisurely ride for a couple hrs and get some of my fave greasy, slimy, battered, fried tater wedges. Best in the whole state. I can feel my arteries clogging up already.
Yep, tater wedges with ketchup and Texas Pete. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

DSCN2780.jpg

Also rode up on a crash that had just happened. Luckily everyone was ok but 2 bikes got trashed. So many things were done wrong: newbie riding beyond his capabilities, buddies parked at the outside of a turn apex, target fixation, maybe more.. Newbie trying to catch up, saw a little gravel and grabbed a handful of brake then fixated on his buddy's bike, lowsided thru the turn into his buddy. Newbie had a chunk out his shin but nothing broken. Buddy got launched from his seat. Good thing the mailbox stopped newbie or he would have eaten a fencepost or 2.

DSCN2777.jpg

DSCN2779.jpg

DSCN2778.jpg

I hate to see Don spend all that money because next week I am bolting it all on for him. He's such a slave driver. :lol:
I'm also bringing 6 new KZ1300 pistons, rings, wrist pins. Think you get them installed too? :lol: :lol: ;)

I'm also bringing 6 new KZ1300 pistons, rings, wrist pins. Think you get them installed too? :lol: :lol: ;)
I can get them installed but you'll be riding home standing up. :eek: :p :lol:

I can get them installed but you'll be riding home standing up. :eek: :p :lol:
You Win Ray! :rofl:

It was yesterday, but I rode home to Southern California from a visit with my son, who moved up to San Francisco in late June. (He has a Triumph Speed Triple, and on Saturday he took me around the City and the surrounding area -- a great day of riding!)

On my way back, I met up by chance with Forum member Roy Epperson at the McDonald's in Paso Robles. It was pushing 102 degrees, and we chatted about the best route for me to take back home. I took his advice and stayed on US-101 to get into cooler weather closer to the coast, and it worked out nicely. Thanks, Roy! (And I'll check my rear sub-frame more regularly, too...)

Probably took me longer than it should have, 'twas my first time removing the tupperware. The lower pieces have to come off. My only complaint is the instructions are for a previous iteration of their product that had nuts welded to the brackets. The new brackets have holes that are tapped. Directions say to install bracket with nut facing out. While the new brackets are stamped R and L, its hard to tell which side is out. They will bolt on either way. Of course I chose to bolt them on with the stamp facing out. Reinstalled right side fairing lower and WRONG! :( Had to flip the brackets to position the slider correctly. So, install with the R or L stamp facing in. You will see a relief line in the bracket that matches the line of the fairing, this faces out. After that, all was well. Perfect fit. If you've had your plastic off before and you fit the brackets correctly the first time <_< shouldn't take more than an hour including beverage and pee break. Oh yeah, you need a torque wrench.

Haven't taken the time to figure out how to post pics yet as I'm an old fart and am electronically challenged. I will look into it and post up later. They look great and fit perfectly, I am well gruntled! And I'm a picky SOB.

Rode it - first time in weeks. Granted, it was only about 40 leisurely miles on country roads but it was great.

Tomorrow, new tires. Then I'll pop on the new seats and take it for a short test ride.

EDIT... the wife wanted me to take her for out since she was grocery shopping when I went earlier. So we popped on the new Russell seats and went out for an hour. They're interesting (wife loves it) but the real test will be when I'm in the saddle all day. We'll see next week ;)

Well It's what I am doing for my FJR since I am not done yet. Here are some pic's. to sink your teeth into. Once and a while I have to take time to do some of my own projects.

Another part of the project. Sorry for the poor lighting conditions.

If all goes well I hope to have this buttoned up this weekend. Now to start on the next part that I need.

Dave
Oh goodness, that's lovely work.

I'd buy one from you, especially if I could get one powdercoated black. Seriously, I'm about to drill the panel for heatrollers and I'd rather use a switchbox :)

I gave my son a ride to his first day of Kindergarten.

2012-09-04%252008.52.53.jpg

(Post-safety-gear removal)

Quick video at

Then I finalized a deal on a new helmet, replacing my thrashed Arai Quantum with a Nolan N104 from a forum member. Can't wait to ride in the new lid.

Replaced the brake lines with Galfer stainless ones. It does change the feel but I need to go out for a longer ride to really see if there is a difference.

Washed it. Took a couple of pictures, 'cos it was glistening in the sun
agent.gif

(Click on image for larger view)

Then put it away
sad.gif
That's clearly photoshopped...we all know there's never any sun in the UK ;)

Well there is but you better be damn quick.Good thing you got a FJR! Great looking bike, great colour too.

Well It's what I am doing for my FJR since I am not done yet. Here are some pic's. to sink your teeth into. Once and a while I have to take time to do some of my own projects.

Another part of the project. Sorry for the poor lighting conditions.

If all goes well I hope to have this buttoned up this weekend. Now to start on the next part that I need.

Dave
Oh goodness, that's lovely work.

I'd buy one from you, especially if I could get one powdercoated black. Seriously, I'm about to drill the panel for heatrollers and I'd rather use a switchbox :)
Started out as a personel project more than anything. The whole project was a lot of work and I am glad it's done. Black anodize more likely. There are folks that powder coat here on the forum though. I will have to sit down and take a look at the material, time and cost to see where it will fall. the box is roughly 2 x 2 x 3. By the time I got the switches in and all the wiring there wasn't a whole hell of lot of room left. Not sure what a heat troller takes.

Just to keep on topic I looked at the feejer when I walked through the garage on the way to my truck. I'ts going to rain the next three days. :eek:hwell:

Dave

Rode home from work @ 11 PM as usual. Narrowly missed a large porcupine scuttling across the highway. :blink:

A few minutes later spooked a forest rat in my driveway :eek:

Earlier this week I had a close encounter of the Great Horned owl kind, almost where I saw the porky tonight :dribble:

I love living in the country, but sometimes the wildlife is a bit too wild! :unsure: