What's the 'Harley' appeal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I underestimated the power of 'IMAGE'. If that's the main appeal, then HD really isn't about motorcycles or riding... but it's just another fashion accessory.

I was hoping someone would chime in with something about the ride that would make it worth it... but not so much...

We all do it to some extent, we all buy into something because of image or popularity. And if that's all it really is, then that's something I can at least sympathize with... Been there, done that...

You guys seem to be spot on... their marketing team is pure genius to keep this false sense of a "Lifestyle" in their product for so long. The funny thing is, that 'Lifestyle' image is the exact thing I'd want to avoid... I don't want to be stereotyped as some asshat rebel that'd boot stomp ya just as soon as he'd shake your hand... I guess when it comes down to it... THAT'S what I don't understand

Thx

Personally, I don't care for the "V-twin sound". The sound that is etched into my memory banks is that of the first Honda 750 inline 4 cylinder I heard while in the Navy (circa 1968). That day I promised myself I'd have "one of those".

I've ridden a couple of V-twins and I didn't care for the sound or the "feeling" transmitted through the frame or handlebars. On the other hand, I have friends who love their V-twins and don't understand why I like multi-cylinder motorcycles.

So "some" of the argument is about what affects each of us in a visceral manner. A 4 cylinder bike makes my heart go "pitty-pat", so that is what I own. For others, it is the sound and feeling of a V-twin.

There are "posers" of all stripes who ride all manner of bikes. I suppose, if I were to analyze my own abilities, I'd conclude that I can't ride my FJR to 70% of its capabilities. I enjoy them but I either can't or don't ride to that level. My opinion is most of those who own sport bikes fall into the same category (the insane and squidly are in another category).

We buy the bikes we ride because they are what we WANT. Same with the Harley owners. Its the bike they want and the image they wish to present....just like us. I don't pretend to understand another's motivation, I just enjoy the ride.

Caveat: I also enjoy my KLR, though the "thumper" is an entirely different instrument and the bike has a completely different purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys seem to be spot on... their marketing team is pure genius to keep this false sense of a "Lifestyle" in their product for so long. The funny thing is, that 'Lifestyle' image is the exact thing I'd want to avoid... I don't want to be stereotyped as some asshat rebel that'd boot stomp ya just as soon as he'd shake your hand... I guess when it comes down to it... THAT'S what I don't understand
Thx
It's marketing genius, or should I say...was. They've made a fortune from the HD mystique.

What about the pussy factor? :glare:

Maybe they ride them because the bike gets them more, and they ride less because they are riding....... you know,.... more. :unsure:

B)

I'm not trying to be demeaning or derogatory against HD owners, but after seeing 150 - 200 HD's on the road today, I am left scratching my head wonder what the appeal is, that justifies the outrageous price difference over other cruisers....
We did a 200 mile around the northern part of western washington today (first NICE day of the year) and while it doesn't surprise me every bike owner was out, the sheer amount of HD's was amazing.. probably 3-1 HD to other bikes.

Why are they worth the extra money??? Other then the Sporty's, you can't really ride a new one away for less then $15k...

They don't seem to handle well...

They don't seem to be agile...

They aren't 'fast' (though the can certainly be made faster)

They aren't smooth

They are???

Pretty? Well yeah, there are some really nice looking HD's out there.

Any current or previous HD owners care to comment on what the appeal is?
they are great looking from an artistic view (IMO) and they are nice to cruise with. Personally though i wouldnt own one for riding.

You guys are "stuck" on the Harley mystique.

Have you bothered to consider how many cruiser-type motorcycles the Japanese manufacturers sell in America compared to...er...uhm...sport-tourers? Compared to sport bikes?

You guys are "stuck" on the Harley mystique.
Have you bothered to consider how many cruiser-type motorcycles the Japanese manufacturers sell in America compared to...er...uhm...sport-tourers? Compared to sport bikes?
That's actually one of my main points... there's a TON of competition out there for the "cruiser" market... so why does HD continue to be able to charge out the rear for their bikes... I guess it's the lmage\lifestyle thing...

I had a VTX for a while learned the cruiser style of riding wasn't my cup of tea, but I only paid 11k for a big 1800, it would be 18 -20k in the HD catalog...

And just to be clear - I certainly agree this isn't limited to HD... BMW, Nike, Apple, etc... all have huge sales based on image... but HD is the only image with seriously negative connotations.

Personally, I don't care for the "V-twin sound". The sound that is etched into my memory banks is that of the first Honda 750 inline 4 cylinder I heard while in the Navy (circa 1968). That day I promised myself I'd have "one of those".
I've ridden a couple of V-twins and I didn't care for the sound or the "feeling" transmitted through the frame or handlebars. On the other hand, I have friends who love their V-twins and don't understand why I like multi-cylinder motorcycles.
Well, there are the 45 degree twins and the 90 degree twins. We're talking comparing a Harley (or clone) and a Ducati. Very different in both sound and feel IMO.

... HD really isn't about motorcycles or riding...
That's 100% correct. HD stopped selling motorcycles a long time ago. They sell image, image, image, and oh yeah, image. And they're damned successful at it. Whole MBA-level marketing courses use HD as a study in creating a successful brand image.

Speaking of the stereotypical 'boomer professional on an HD, I came across one early yesterday morning while out riding. There he was sitting on the side of the road with his flame-painted beenie helmet on his lap, brand new HD leather vest (t-shirt underneath), jeans (grass stained and torn up), and brand new HD boots (seriously scuffed up). His bike was literally upside down on the other side of a shallow ditch, fork tweaked back towards the engine, handlebars looking like a chongo bull's horns; one pointing up, one pointing down, and clumps of mud and grass stuck to just about every protuding surface. I didn't see him pile it up, but I obviously arrived just a few short minutes later. I stopped to see if he was ok, needed any help, needed me to call anyone (yes, no and no), or help him get his bike back up (no again).

Long story short, he'd just bought the bike the day before so he could go riding with his buddies out to the coast. This was his very first bike (Dyna Wide Glide in anniversary colors), he had just taken the rider course last month, and had high-sided a left-hand sweeper on a brand-new bike with about 30 miles on it. Here's a guy that's probably in his late-40s or early-50s, is probably very successful (it was the haircut, manicured finger nails and Omega Seamaster dive watch that gave it away), and has probably mastered most everything he's ever set his mind on doing. While the physical injuries from his pile-up were apparently minor, this guy looked like his whole world had just collapsed. His ego was crushed. It was sad. I really felt sorry for the guy.

Is there a point to this story? Absolutely. He's the classic example of a guy that bought into the HD image long before his skills could sign the check.

One thing I would add to the mix of opinions...

....many people "think" or "buy into" the semi-bad-attitude-biker-image. Hence the scowl and physical stance taken that we see expressed as "posing".

Yes, the marketing people fan the flames of this image and those who need that expression in their lives "buy it", then "pose it". We can't change them, only accept them where they are and go on, hoping they will see the broader picture.

I know many Harley owners who don't like the RUBs (Rich Urban Bikers) because they were motorcyclists riding Harley Davidson machines long before the others "bought the ticket". I've said it before, one of my HD riding friends calls them "Leather Peacocks" because they buy the bike they can't ride, the clothing to try and "look" like what they aren't, then ride to the dealer, the bar or the restaurant and "strut".

Attitudes, in varying degrees of expression, exist in every sub-group of 'cyclists. Believe it or not, attitudes are even exhibited on this website... :eek: ...when others come here and ask questions about ST1300s or C-14s (or Harleys or sportbikes or Goldwings or.......).

I ain't no Harley hater. Matter-of-fact, I wouldn't mind owning one
Yeah. me too! I'd have to get over the V-twin thing that isn't my favorite, but if I had the $$$ and garage space, I could see having a Street Glide or Road Glide.

I don't hate them... I just don't "GET" them... I think it's a pretty silly to throw good money away on sub-par motorcycles for the sake of an image...

What I DO hate are Harley riders that actually believe they are the badass they pretend to be... Just like I hate the squids that race through a heavily populated freeway at highspeeds or ride wheelies in the middle of rush hour... They all give the rest of us a bad image.

Very much like non-riders not understanding why we ride???? :(
That's a good retort, Mike. Shouldn't we all be happy that there is a style of motorcycle out there that fits almost everyone's need? For some the HD has all the features they are looking for. For others, it's the FJR, or a myriad of other wonderful machines. Our choices would be so limited if not for that great variety.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of riding three completely different bikes, morning afternoon and evening. From a thumping 1700 V Twin, to a BMW RT to the FJR. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, for different reasons. Sure, the FJR suited me the best, but I'm also looking forward to a spin on my little Ninja tomorrow too.

Is there anyone on this forum who ONLY ever wants to ride one bike? While no-one disagrees that the FJR is one of the best out there, a little variety is the spice of life.

Jill

PS I've never ridden a HD to this day, but one day, when the opportunity arises I just might. That will be worth a photo though, because I will look like a Power Ranger.

Very much like non-riders not understanding why we ride???? :(
That's a good retort, Mike. Shouldn't we all be happy that there is a style of motorcycle out there that fits almost everyone's need? For some the HD has all the features they are looking for. For others, it's the FJR, or a myriad of other wonderful machines. Our choices would be so limited if not for that great variety.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of riding three completely different bikes, morning afternoon and evening. From a thumping 1700 V Twin, to a BMW RT to the FJR. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, for different reasons. Sure, the FJR suited me the best, but I'm also looking forward to a spin on my little Ninja tomorrow too.

Is there anyone on this forum who ONLY ever wants to ride one bike? While no-one disagrees that the FJR is one of the best out there, a little variety is the spice of life.

Jill

PS I've never ridden a HD to this day, but one day, when the opportunity arises I just might. That will be worth a photo though, because I will look like a Power Ranger.
My question was never about the HD being a worthwhile bike, or the FJR being the best... the part I don't get is the premium people are paying to ride them. If you stripped the name off the side, it would probably be 30% less....

I love the fact that there's so many options out there for bikes and bikers to choose from... don't get me wrong. And I don't have an issue with people that buy HD's because they are true riders and they enjoy THAT bike.

It's the image piece that I have a hard time with.. I still don't get the high price tag to get an image that has a history of drugs and violence. Perhaps we should petition Yamaha to make a 'Crips' version of the R1... complete with doo rags and glocks? <_< Could probably sell it for $15k!

But... I don't have to get it... And no one should really have to explain their choices. It's free country and I wouldn't have it any other way. I only really started this thread out of curiosity and surprise from my observations yesterday...

Jason

... HD really isn't about motorcycles or riding...
That's 100% correct. HD stopped selling motorcycles a long time ago. They sell image, image, image, and oh yeah, image. And they're damned successful at it. Whole MBA-level marketing courses use HD as a study in creating a successful brand image.

Speaking of the stereotypical 'boomer professional on an HD, I came across one early yesterday morning while out riding. There he was sitting on the side of the road with his flame-painted beenie helmet on his lap, brand new HD leather vest (t-shirt underneath), jeans (grass stained and torn up), and brand new HD boots (seriously scuffed up). His bike was literally upside down on the other side of a shallow ditch, fork tweaked back towards the engine, handlebars looking like a chongo bull's horns; one pointing up, one pointing down, and clumps of mud and grass stuck to just about every protuding surface. I didn't see him pile it up, but I obviously arrived just a few short minutes later. I stopped to see if he was ok, needed any help, needed me to call anyone (yes, no and no), or help him get his bike back up (no again).

Long story short, he'd just bought the bike the day before so he could go riding with his buddies out to the coast. This was his very first bike (Dyna Wide Glide in anniversary colors), he had just taken the rider course last month, and had high-sided a left-hand sweeper on a brand-new bike with about 30 miles on it. Here's a guy that's probably in his late-40s or early-50s, is probably very successful (it was the haircut, manicured finger nails and Omega Seamaster dive watch that gave it away), and has probably mastered most everything he's ever set his mind on doing. While the physical injuries from his pile-up were apparently minor, this guy looked like his whole world had just collapsed. His ego was crushed. It was sad. I really felt sorry for the guy.

Is there a point to this story? Absolutely. He's the classic example of a guy that bought into the HD image long before his skills could sign the check.
Sounds like he never mastered common sense.

Is there anyone on this forum who ONLY ever wants to ride one bike?
More than half the replies are from multi-bike owners....pretty cool. While in HI last year, I rented a Fat Boy for a couple of hours. It was kind of cool for what we used it for, slow cruising around the outside of the island. I would consider owning one, but like others have said, not as my only bike.

I doubt HD owners buy their bikes thinking it's the best handling machine for the money. I think the machines of the social circle also plays a part. If your best buddies all ride HDs, chances are....

Jason, you said you had a VTX1800 but it didn't fit your style. Just curious what drove the purchase ? Also like to know how you like that KLR...considering one.

Brian

I ain't no Harley hater. Matter-of-fact, I wouldn't mind owning one
Yeah. me too! I'd have to get over the V-twin thing that isn't my favorite, but if I had the $$$ and garage space, I could see having a Street Glide or Road Glide.
And here's the Harley I wouldn't mind owning: A '77 or '78 HD XLCR 1000 (I almost bought a '78 in 1984 that had less than 2000 miles on it.) Let's face it; I'm a sucker for cafe-style bikes....

harley_davidson_xlcr.jpg