What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-10F with a wind chill of -38F this morning
cold.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wind chill don't matter much when you are talking about riding murdercycles. We always have a wind of whatever our speed is at the time, so the wind speed is insignificant.

So when it is a balmy 35 degrees F and you ride at 85 mph it feels like it is 15 degrees F (-9 degrees for you Celsius types) regardless of the ambient wind speed.

Here in balmy Pittsburgh, -8 with a -35 wind chill. At least that makes us better than Cleveland (for obvious reasons).

The gloating California, Arizona and Florida riders are a hoot. Life's tough, we deal with it.

My wife just got home and said she stopped to get the "Buffalo Basics" in case we get snowed in: eggs, bread, and a six-pack! (then-Buffalo mayor Jimmy Griffin was famously quoted during the Blizzard of '77 as saying that Buffalonians should stay at home with a 6-pack and wait out the storm).
The maternity ward at Buffalo General should be hopping about 9 months from now.
wink.png

What the hell is a Polar Vortex? And why is it centered over Chicago?
It isn't. It is centered over Wheaton, IL.

tonguesmiley.gif

I'm not sure about this "Too Hot to Ride" thing. That seems about as real as the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. I have lived in the South all my life and have never seen it get Too Hot to Ride.
You must be kidding, right? There have been times even way up here in New England where it is just too freaking hot to ride. When it is 98 degrees and 99 percent humidity you feel like a wet dish rag in a matter of 20 minutes. Can you do it? Sure, but you're totally miserable. Same thing as riding at sub zero: It can be done, but it ain't much fun.

+50 °F last night. Single digits today and below 0F tonight (+ significant windchill). Low temperatures are nothing compared to what the mid-west has been getting but the temperature swings are sometimes worse. Everything is covered with ice and driving is a mess. No chance that the bike will make it out for quite awhile - might be March!

It was -22C a few days ago, warmed up to +2C with 4" of snow yesterday (sent some to Bungie),
Thanks, asshole. Line's dad got home mid-day yesterday and got EarthPig out and plowed our driveway. Then he got the snow blower out and did the back terrace (fire escape for the kids), and then did the path to the back of the garage.

I love that guy!

You. not so much :D

But I'm a good Frostback and returned the gift of snow with a chilly -25 blast south. Yer welcome.

Supposed to warm up a bit for the weekend. I'm hoping to get some time to get in the garage and put my tools 'n shit away (Just tossed them in there when I moved). I'm sure the garage is insulated, the interior walls are finished, might look around for a oil space heater for in there.

Gotta admit this winter has been different and unusually cold at times.........

It's late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.
Since he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.
Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared..

But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea he went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, 'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'
'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,' the meteorologist at the weather service responded.
So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'
'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'it's going to be a very cold winter.'
The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. 'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'
'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen.'
'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked.
The weatherman replied, 'The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy.'

Wind chill don't matter much when you are talking about riding murdercycles. We always have a wind of whatever our speed is at the time, so the wind speed is insignificant.
So when it is a balmy 35 degrees F and you ride at 85 mph it feels like it is 15 degrees F (-9 degrees for you Celsius types) regardless of the ambient wind speed.
The wind chill does matter when I'm not riding...just standing outside this morning felt like -38 F...and that's effen cold.

My bride and I took the Hondapotamus out for about an hour and a half ride yesterday. It was 70F along the coast, 15 miles inland it was 77F.

We have a cooling trend now: the next few days the high will only be around 60F, then back up to 68-72F.

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride." ~ Grateful Dead

I see first post (no further) & say to myself... "like it's so f***ing wonderful to live in Florida where in the summer you can sweat sitting inside with AC because it's so humid"

got a couple inches of snow over night. Still about six feet short of what we need.

Back into the 50's Sunday and Monday! WooHoo!! Temps more in line with what we're used to. Too bad it's going to rain every day between now and then, my yard and all my neighbors' are swamps already. The ground is so saturated now no more will soak in. Each rain just runs off, piles up and fills the creeks and rivers more and more. I was "down by the river" today and could tell the water had overflowed the banks at least once already. Lots of trees down, roots pulled out . Wish you'd not-so-PNW folks would get some of this crap.