Wheat Belly, or,.. How to get a few decades younger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
plated-M.jpg
Meat and veggies!! Perfect. Assuming there is no sugar in the BBQ sauce, that is a meal completely in line with what Dr. Davis has his patients on.
BBQ sauce? Are you insane? Who needs that cover up when the meat is done right?

Fred, It's a kamado cooker. Like a Big Green Egg but at half the cost. Since I don't cook for a platoon, it's an "Acorn" sized cooker. The one I got is insulated metal instead of ceramic. That keeps the total weight (including grates, etc.) down to under 90 lbs instead of the 300 of some ceramic cookers. It seems pretty effecient. 3 lbs of charcoal lasted more than 8 hours.

smoker-M.jpg

and here are 2 slabs of ribs so you can see the cooking area.

ribs-M.jpg

The Wheat Belly book explains

i knew there was a product behind this.

Last edited by a moderator:
...the main thing is to stop stuffing this harmful stuff into your face because of the "unhealth" it causes.
Why is it that none of the main stream health watch groups that have vilified some food dyes, sugar, sugar substitutes, trans-fats, cholesterol, etc. hasn't been all over this and why hasn't there been food warning labels like some other food stuffs?

Meat and veggies!! Perfect. Assuming there is no sugar in the BBQ sauce, that is a meal completely in line with what Dr. Davis has his patients on.

Fred, It's a kamado cooker. Like a Big Green Egg but at half the cost. Since I don't cook for a platoon, it's an "Acorn" sized cooker. The one I got is insulated metal instead of ceramic. That keeps the total weight (including grates, etc.) down to under 90 lbs instead of the 300 of some ceramic cookers. It seems pretty effecient. 3 lbs of charcoal lasted more than 8 hours.

You don't need the book if you have me, eh? I can answer any questions and expound any WB issues. Or,.. if you'd like, use this link to explain the whole thing in FAQ format:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/krdo241unlgbkpz/3UinkI-CRN?m

Besides, it's a lot more fun to argue with me than to read a book!

...the main thing is to stop stuffing this harmful stuff into your face because of the "unhealth" it causes.
Why is it that none of the main stream health watch groups that have vilified some food dyes, sugar, sugar substitutes, trans-fats, cholesterol, etc. hasn't been all over this and why hasn't there been food warning labels like some other food stuffs?
It is too new. The mainstream health watch groups are mostly flatworlders. They still believe all the old propaganda about "healthy whole grains." One other factor is the HUGE lobbying effort and incestuous relationship between mega-agri-business and the FDA/USDA/AMA/etc. This growing awareness of the damage done from grains has already cut into their obscene profits, and they are worried. that is why you see such a large increase in advertising about how healthy whole grains are. To me, this is criminal,.. to advertise something contributing so much to the epidemic of obesity and diabetes and heart disease and all the other maladies from wheat consumption.

I have been on The Virgin diet for a couple months now. Basically the same idea: whole, organic fruits and vegetables and free range, naturally fed meats. Completely gluten, soy, corn, and anything artificial free. Cut out most dairy and sugars along with high glycemic foods. I've lost 20 pounds and feel better than I have in years. I'm almost back to my marathon weight without all the intense training. Some of the medical issues that were starting to creep up on me have either gone completely away, or are getting much better. I had heartburn bad enough that I was going to be put on medication to control it, now it's completely gone. The rest of the problems I won't discuss on an open forum, but lets just say I no longer fear losing my pilot medical.

You are what you eat and you are what you eat ate.

I have been on The Virgin diet for a couple months now. Basically the same idea: whole, organic fruits and vegetables and free range, naturally fed meats. Completely gluten, soy, corn, and anything artificial free. Cut out most dairy and sugars along with high glycemic foods. I've lost 20 pounds and feel better than I have in years. I'm almost back to my marathon weight without all the intense training. Some of the medical issues that were starting to creep up on me have either gone completely away, or are getting much better. I had heartburn bad enough that I was going to be put on medication to control it, now it's completely gone. The rest of the problems I won't discuss on an open forum, but lets just say I no longer fear losing my pilot medical.
You are what you eat and you are what you eat ate.
Excellent. I just got my class II medical back myself. Sounds like you are not eating any grains at all, eh?

I know what you mean about some of the improvements not being very discussable in a forum like this.

smoker-M.jpg

ribs-M.jpg

Bounce, I use the same Akorn smoker, and also have one called the big Steel Keg (aka Bubba Keg) that works the same way. I notice you are also using the Maverick dual probe remote thermometer (ET732). Great way to precisely maintain temperature and know what is going on without raising the lid. Wait until you do a brisket on that thing. I'm having some pulled pork I did last weekend for lunch.

You guys are making me hungry. I think I'll go to the Harvest Depot for a Reuben for lunch. Grain free of course.
smile.png

I'll throw my two cents in here.

Two years ago, my wife convinced me to go onto a simple meat and potatoes/root vegetable (carrots, turnip, sweet potatoes, beets, etc.) diet. Although I don't follow the WB diet, I have gone wheat/gluten free. Gave up all wheat products, though still occassionally have oats and beer and other distilled grains. Essentially it's a very simple diet and we minimize any processed foods.

Lost 50 lbs over the first year all the while eating as much meat, potoatoes and root veg as I wanted. As an added bonus, I have been able to reduce my cholesterol medication from 20 mg (Crestor) per day to 0, I no longer need to take a daily antihistamine for allergies, and blood pressure has dropped from a typical 150/100 to a more normal 120/80.

Over the past year my weight has remained between 180 and 190 lbs and I have not had any colds, flu, sinus infections, or anything else since avoiding wheat products.

All I can say it that it has been beneficial for me and YMMV!

I'll throw my two cents in here.
Two years ago, my wife convinced me to go onto a simple meat and potatoes/root vegetable (carrots, turnip, sweet potatoes, beets, etc.) diet. Although I don't follow the WB diet, I have gone wheat/gluten free. Gave up all wheat products, though still occassionally have oats and beer and other distilled grains. Essentially it's a very simple diet and we minimize any processed foods.

Lost 50 lbs over the first year all the while eating as much meat, potoatoes and root veg as I wanted. As an added bonus, I have been able to reduce my cholesterol medication from 20 mg (Crestor) per day to 0, I no longer need to take a daily antihistamine for allergies, and blood pressure has dropped from a typical 150/100 to a more normal 120/80.

Over the past year my weight has remained between 180 and 190 lbs and I have not had any colds, flu, sinus infections, or anything else since avoiding wheat products.

All I can say it that it has been beneficial for me and YMMV!
Sounds like a lot of success there. Good for us.

About the only diff between what you do and the WB thing is that usually below-ground veggies are not used as much as above-ground veggies because of the additional carbs in potatoes, carrots, beets, etc., from the greater sugar content than squash, romaine, green beans, broccoli, and the like. The basic plans are the same pretty much, though,.. especially the absence of wheat and processed foods.

Your results are similar, as well. Dr Davis is a cardiologist and he started all this initially with only his patients in mind. He found it to be so successful for his folks, he wanted to get the word out some more, and to get these benefits available to everyone.

-- He hated putting his patients on heavy duty drugs and it seemed all wrong to put them on "heart healthy whole grain" diets. They always got worse on those diets.

-- So, he did pretty much what you did,.. put all his patients on meat/fish/fowl/veggies/fruit/nuts/low-carb dairy/etc..., and told them to eat single ingredient food,.. no packaged/processed food,. especially to stay away from packaged food with a "gluten-free" label on it. (lots of grains and sugars)

Every time his patients stuck to that way of eating, they got better in several ways.

-- Some were able to avoid bypass operations altogether.

-- Most all of them, like you, got off the horrible meds.

-- Most all them lost weight.

-- The ones that were also diabetic got off THOSE meds as well.

-- Blood pressure always improved.

I can also back up what you said about allergies. For several decades before Oct of 2011, I had lots of allergies.

-- Dust, pollen, spores, mold, etc.... would drive me crazy. I had to gobble up allegra just to go outside in the spring around here. (Atlanta area)

-- Since my twentys I had a metal-on-skin allergy that prevented me from wearing a wedding band, dog tags, metal watchbands, etc.

Now, I am allergy free.

-- A couple days ago we had an alert for a record setting pollen count in the 4,000 range. That afternoon I spent three hours outside mowing and edging. No mask, no allegra, no problems. Two years ago I would have been knocked on my ass for two days with red eyes, snots, headaches, etc. Not one hint of a problem anymore.

-- I have been wearing a wedding band for a year now. My current wife is pleased.

One other point about sickness, since you brought it up. For the several decades prior to Oct 2011, I would get sick two or three times a year. Since Oct 2011, not so much as a sniffle. nada.

Congrats, and thanks for the input.

Besides, it's a lot more fun to argue with me than to read a book!
Earth to FNG: No. It's not.
Well, get a copy of the book, then. It's hard, though. Walmart even carries it now, but they sell out so quickly. You can download a kindle version from amazon for $10, and the kindle apps for any computer or smartphone or tablet download for free.

I'm not here to promote the book. I read it, and even though it is a best seller, it is not all that entertaining a read. the folks that stick it out from cover to cover are the folks that have some actual and serious problems they need help with,... the kind that no wheat/no grains always makes better,..... arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, migraines, joint pain, obesity, poopy issues, allergies,.. those kinds of things.

If you are simply not interested, then you are in the majority. No matter how much proof shows up, most folks just can't grasp this idea that wheat/grains/sugars can cause all those maladies.

Can you eat pasta??
It appears the short answer is ...NO.

As an arthritic, heart diseased, diabetic I'm willing to take the plunge. I ordered the book and the cook book tonight. I have pretty good drug coverage and still spend over $2000 a year on the long list of drugs I take. Do you know how many tires that will pay for???? It's a cheap gamble.

Rob

The click you just heard was the opening of a padlock.
i wish. but inevitably someone somewhere else will whine about admin oppression (help! help! i'm being repressed!) regardless of how tactful i try to be.

the gleaming-eyed accolyte nature of the proponent is just about half a step this side of a Moonie.

OP: You've pitched your mantra. You've made your points. PLEASE take it to e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.