When are the proposed dates for WFO8?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
idaho works for me! anyone ride the million dollar highway, out of telluride, co. gets up to 11,600 feet on top of the red mountain pass. i rented a harley and rode it and can not wait to ride my new fjr on that stretch of highway. 4 corners is close as well. im a new guy, so just my 2 cents. thanks warchild for the info. cheers, jerome
You just missed our gathering that put everyone in range of the Million Dollar Highway. :(

To see what you missed out on, click here.

I still think a location in Oregon for WFO8 would just about be perfect... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Odds on Wendover, UT??? :rolleyes: Garden spot of the West Coast :wacko:
I nominate Trona, CA. Now that's a resort town just waiting to be discovered.
Yeah, baby, TRONA, now that is a sweet, sweeeeeeet place! :blink: :lol:

There are three states under investigation right now, and the new WFO Rallymaster will announce when he is ready..... which might be soon, or might be another couple weeks....

The three states are California, Idaho, and Oregon.

Wherever it is, looks like I'll be picking Ponyfool up at the airport. :angry03:

Just to stir the pot a little (usually MM2's job). Calif. has had it twice and Idaho once so it should be time for Oregon. Arizona and New Mexico have good roads also but in July the heat can be ugly depending on the venue.

idaho works for me! anyone ride the million dollar highway, out of telluride, co. gets up to 11,600 feet on top of the red mountain pass. i rented a harley and rode it and can not wait to ride my new fjr on that stretch of highway. 4 corners is close as well. im a new guy, so just my 2 cents. thanks warchild for the info. cheers, jerome
Idaho to Telluride would be one heck of a day ride!

Yeah, baby, TRONA, now that is a sweet, sweeeeeeet place! :blink: :lol:
I spent 3 years at China Lake NWC........ :blink: ...there's some really great riding near there..... :no2:

There's always Ely, NV. :dribble:

Just to stir the pot a little (usually MM2's job). Calif. has had it twice and Idaho once so it should be time for Oregon. Arizona and New Mexico have good roads also but in July the heat can be ugly depending on the venue.
Bend is nice, but will also be hot in July.

Ashland has some nice riding. Here's an Ashland-based Big Dog route that would kick ass. 543 miles, including California's legendary SR-36:

ashland-bigdog.jpg

Bend is nice, but will also be hot in July.
Ohhhh, Bend's July heat would be like a snowstorm compared to that at the locations of the last few WFOs and NAFO. There is no humidity in Bend. It might be in the low 90s, but that would only last for a couple hours.

I'm with Ray. Oregon's turn.

Ashland has some nice riding.
No offense to anyone here, but there are too many non-MC riding freaks in the Ashland area. I couldn't bring myself to go there on purpose.

Remember that location is but one part of the process.

Facilities to house, feed, and park us all is a big trick as is schedule of those facilities . Proximity to decent riding, weather, etc. is obviously part of it, but probably not the deciding factor to sign a contract. To do this all at a reasonable cost is typically very hard. Negotiating a contract for meals, more fees and incidental costs than you'd think, and hotel room rates isn't for the faint of heart....let me tell you. Economy is probably going to be a factor too.

And remember the typical time line has been nailing down venue in the November December time frame and announcement in January or so. It'll keep being worked. ;)

No offense to anyone here, but there are too many non-MC riding freaks in the Ashland area. I couldn't bring myself to go there on purpose.
I'm with pig on that one :punk:

As far as the location it isn't up to us. Those in charge will decide based on their information and whats available. If it ends up somewhere you don't like then don't go. :D

Well, obviously I like Bend OK, ...why else would I live here; but that means my vote'd be for anywhere BUT here! Otherwise I don't get to see any new scenery or tarmac! ...any excuse to get outa Dodge for a spell!

I vote for OR

Somewhere near the dunes, so we could have a day to rent atv's and go for a scoot thru the sand!

I nominate Trona, CA. Now that's a resort town just waiting to be discovered.
PeeYEW!!! :dribble:

EDIT// I have been through there several times to/from Death Valley and not ONCE have I ever seen anything alive there... people, animals, nuthin... it's spooky, I tell ya!

what about redding,pretty central for all,lots of mtns,day trip to reno,hot but not desert hot.wtf !......and all the local girls have teeth.

Must be getting to be winter. Nothing better to do but speculate on the future. :D

what about redding,pretty central for all,lots of mtns,day trip to reno,hot but not desert hot.wtf !......and all the local girls have teeth.
Uhm....someone has never been to Redding, CA in July. :unsure:

Sure, there is some great riding from there but even the Sierras get into the mid-high 90's, and so do the Coastal Mountains. The valley can easily reach 100-105.

Those of us who are used to it and prepared with our cooling accoutrements would survive it. Those traveling greater distances from milder climes may have issues.

I suggest we patiently wait until the newly appointed "Grand Poobah/High Muchy-Muck" makes the announcement. I'm sure those directly involved are weighting price point, room availability, venue size and ability to house/feed/sit such a large gathering are all higher on the priority list than anyone's choice of city or state.

As far as the location it isn't up to us. Those in charge will decide based on their information and whats available. If it ends up somewhere you don't like then don't go. :D
Exactly!!! :eek:

pretty central for all
maybe not... :glare:
C'mon, Barb. These locations are only a long day's ride for you! ;)
:D :D :D :D :D