When did you get your 06 AE bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When did you get your 06 AE bike delivered?

• March 1-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 16-31

• April 1-15

• April 16-30

• May 1-15

• May 16-31

• June 1-15

• June 16-30

• July 1-15

• July 16-31

• Total voters
Headed out to pick up the FJR... will stick on the Skyway sliders, hope to post a delivery pic today unless shit happens...

Picked it up -- after a 9 month wait!, and took a short ride....

First ride impressions:

No probs! I like it very much. :D :D

I had very few of the already reported problems:

MPG instant and average work just fine.

Technician locktited the bag locks on.

Windshield is not loose, or rattley, and noticed no whistling (although I had a full face helmet)

After a few shifts, up and down shifts were smooth and silky (no probs)

Throttle response is just fine

Not near as much heat on me as any other bike I've riden (today was 99 degrees here)

Things I've read and looked for:

The lower left corner of the gear indicator is missing a few pixels as other's have reported.

The throttle spring is stiff, but didn't hurt my wrists after a few hour ride. After a few more miles I may look at releasing the center spring.

Mine had the Mezzlers, time will tell if they're any good -- but who cares -- I'll be replacing them one day anyway.

Skyway sliders installed easily.

Bottom Line:

Seems like a keeper, but too early to know for sure. I did alot of smiling.

Feels nimble for it's size, wind management was fine for a 99 degree day.

Fit/Finish seem really good.

Honked the horn one time feeling for the downshift lever.

Can up shift AND downshift with the index finger (just push it forward to downshift)

Jon the technician at Ward's Yamaha and me:

DSCF0016_SM.jpg

Tada!

DSCF0023_SM.jpg

Stopped by the dealer today to pick up a new faceshield for my helmet. Asked about the AE, I have an A on order. He said he had two available, He has 6 A's on order and all 6 will be delivered in April, the two AE's will be delivered two months later in June.
Thinking about jumping over to the AE I like technology and I like the idea of not holding the clutch lever in during stop-n-go traffic or while sitting at a red light. My only concern is slow speed parking lot manuvers where I feather the clutch and brake.
I love the "AE"!! In fact while riding through the national forest today I thought to myself that there were one heck of a lot of guys that were missing a great motorcylce because "they just were not sure what the "AE" would preform like". As I stated on an earlier post, the "AE" is simply fantastic. It takes virtully no time to get used to the paddle shifter and the throttle. I have logged 550 miles in the past three days and each day the bike just gets smooter and smooter and I like it better and better! Those magazine articles that talked of jerky response at slow speed are totally off the mark. My bike hasn't jerked or responded unfavorably yet. If I was going to point out any fault it would be that there is a 400 rpm band between idle speed of 1100 rpm and 1500 rpm where the clutch begins to feather. That is a non issue if you keep the throttle on the high side of that 400 rpm during slow speed maneuvers. Thus if the bike starts to feel unstable you just give it a bit of throttle and it is instantanious because you already had the throttle on the upper edge of the 400 rpm dead spot. I hope that explanation has some degree of logic when you interpet it.

Awesome motorcycle!

I have an 05 FJR and logged 38,500 miles on it and I have it parked! I go for the "AE" each time I go to the garage for a motorcycle ride.

Good luck whichever way you go as they are both great motorcycles!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My stepson's AE arrived yesterday and I got put about 30 miles on it last night. Sweeeeeeet! Shifting is unbeleivably smooth, accurate, and reliable. 4K buzz is still there but not as pronounced as my 05. Shorter riders are going to like the adjustable seat, and I don't think as many bar risers are going to sold to the 06 owners. Slider will be a breeze cuz the engine mount bolts are exposed.
We're going to run both Feejers down to a road race that's about 200 miles from here tomorrow morning. It'll give him some time running in triple digits on the way there.

One bitch is that the down shift button is not only beneath the horn button vertically, it is recessed more into the collar than the horn button. which leads to inadvertant horn honking on down shifts.

The electric shift is the future boyz and girlz, if it proves reliable. B)
I totally agree that this is the future of motorcycle transmissions! The good thing about the inadvertant horn honking while down shifting is the fact that the only one that can hear the stock horns are the rider! :D

After reading how the AE shift system works, one thing I have not found out is, do you roll off the throttle to intiate a shift or do you keep the throttle steady? If you do not roll off the throttle I can see where the two-up riding experience would be more enjoyable. Does anyone know?
You can't hurt the YCCS. It is idiot proof. The computer won't let you screw up the bike! Experiment!!!! Different techniques work in different situations. No single shifting technique will provide a seamless shift in all situations. The more you ride it the better your technique will become in those different situations/conditions and the shifts become seamless!

That's been pretty much my experience as well. It wasn't hard to shrug off the "scooter," "gay," "ass cheese," etc comments last fall and winter considering the comments came without any more actual knowledge about how the system worked than I had. However, even with some rather positive reviews from some of the early testers, there were a lot lukewarm reactions to it as well. Although I take the magazine reviews with a grain of salt they are "real" experiences, and so I wondered. Actually riding the bike myself was the solution. After 2 weeks and almost 2 thousand miles, I love this thing. Any new skills I needed to learn to work the low speed end of the bike were no more challenging than I have experienced on any new motorcycle I have had. Within an hour of getting on the bike I was as comfortable on it as I was on my '04. I too was wondering if I was going to give up any performance, but I put that to rest by running the AE against my '04, and it ran even up with it. As for the foot shifter, they might as well left it off as far as I am concerned. I'll never wear out the shift lever rubber. I'm sure the AE isn't for everyone, just as the FJR isn't for everyone, but I have found absolutely no downside to the AE over the standard shift and especially in the twisties, I think it's a gas to ride. I'm leaving in a couple of weeks for a week and a half in the southwest, and I'm really looking forward to rolling up some big miles on this bike.
You got that right!! Now if someone makes a comment about the "AE", I just tell them I like the P--sy pink tent in the paint (that I can't see) and agree that only "girly men would ride a bike that shifts with your finger". Then I ride off into the sunset with a smile on my face knowing that the guy doesn't have a clue!! :D

Well, I have had my FJR1300AE for about 4 hours now and I put about 75 miles on it tonight! So far, I really like it!
I have noticed the following so far:

1) Shifting with the fingers is really nice but takes some practice to get smooth!

2) I don't like the stock screen - it will be replaced here shortly.

3) Definitely need something to help the right hand as the default throttle action will tire your hand out quick.

4) The bike still gets warm (compared to my GL1800) in the legs. I do need to try and open the sides.

5) The bike reads your mind and anticipates what you want it to do :D !

Well, I accdidently left my manual at the dealer so I need to go get it and sit down and read it and ride more before making any long winded summaries!

Any how, I really am HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE!

Best regards,

Shane
Shane, Congrat's on the new bike. I think if you open the side vents you will just be hotter. I think with them closed is the coolest configuration.

Question for all you AE owners (I have one). The only ways I have found the upshifting to NOT be jerky are:
1) Leave the throttle open (which the manual recommends AGAINST).

2) Upshift quickly 1-3 at very low speeds. Gears 4 & 5 aren't so jerky.

How are you shifting that it isn't jerky in lower gears?

The AE is definitely a KEEPER :D !

Best Regards,

Shane
Shane, while upshifting try just relaxing on the throttle when you hit the paddle to shift. (the opposite seems to work pretty well on downshifts) Don't roll the throttle back, just relax and relieve the pressure. See if that helps. My bike is shifting well at all speeds and it requires different techniques for different situations. I found after the first oil change she even shifts smooter, in fact most of the time you can't even feel the bike shift. Rode the 05 today after four days on the "AE" and truly enjoyed that ride too. I did miss the gear indicator. I guess I got kind of used to that feature on the 06 already. I love them both!

:) :D :yahoo:

Houston, we have liftoff!!!!!!

I've been wanting to post this for several days but when I got back from picking up the new bike my cable, including digital TV, most analog TV & cable modem were down. Even though a relative works for the cable co. I could not get service until today, but then I'm on a business trip today. Hmmmmm, guess it will have to wait until Sat. That makes over a week. And the wonder why they are losing business to DISH, AT&T, etc.

Actually I should say Highlands because Tejas Motorsports is located in Highlands. Got the call 6/28 that the bike had just come in. Original PDP claim date was 10/22. They were almost as excited as I because mine was the ONLY FJR the ordered through PDP. Originally set pickup for 7/1, but changed to 6/30 because of weather forecast of 4-6 days of rain over the 4th wekend. Got it home before the rain but did not have much chance to ride ofer the holiday. It sits in the garage with 160 miles until I get home Friday. Only issues now is forecast of rain this weekend also.

For now all I can say is that I think I have the only AE Sugar Land, TX. It's a big change coming off a Kawasaki ZR7s, but other than the stiff throttle spring, I LIKE IT!!! Added Skyway's sliders immediately. Have the Grip Puppies to add to the Throttle Rocker. I just want to ride it!!!. May have to use some ot the 3 week of vacation I have left. I feel the Texas Hill Country calling.

and so it goes......... :) :D :yahoo: :clapping:

Congrats Copyman! Welcome to the Clicker fold!
FJR Rocket, thanks for your reply to Copyman, I just discovered the nickname for my 06 AE, guess what, it's CLICKER. You are very creative!!
Dave, I picked that up from someone else's post here on the forum. So thanks, but someone else will have to take credit for the CLICKER moniker. And I like it as well!

Actually, mine doesn't click unless I use the toe shifter. Which I almost always do. In fact, I'm still contemplating taking the finger shifter off the bike. I can barely reach my thumb to the mechanism. I need an extension! But I still like toe shifting. The wiring on that finger shifter is like the Nile. I still haven't found the source, so I don't know if I want to navigate those rapids....

I now have 1800 miles on the bike and continue to enjoy it. I do not agree with some about the auto clutch at low speeds and leaving from a standing start. You can be smooth or you can be jerky and this makes me a little uneasy at low speeds as you must rely on the auto clutch. I've ordered a 47 liter givi tail bag for two riding which also provide a good back rest for her. When I ride solo I use a Yamaha sport tail bag. It provides a lot of extra storage room which has easy access, provides a slight back rest and looks good on the bike. I use 4 snaps on the bottom of the passenger seat to hold it in place so it easy on and easy off. I still find the throttle return too strong for smooth shifting and plan on addressing this soon. I rode my BMW LT 30k last year and did not plan on the AE replacing it but I'm having second thoughts on that. This is really a excellent bike however I do not think the auto clutch will be accepted by most riders until Yamaha resolves the low speed issues.

Has anyone given any thought about what you do if the throttle sticks open??? RIDE SAFE

I've had zero problems with smooth gear shifts at low RPM. And zero jerkiness in starting from a stop. For me, it takes a LOT less finess to click than to manually clutch/shift.

Downshifting seems to be easy/natural for everyone.

One thing that may help upshifting: The clutch does't start to dis-engage until after you've clicked, so if you're wanting to time off-throttle with the clutch dis-engagement, you'll have to click first, then time the disengage with off throttling.

As for "what if" the throttle stick's wide open: one suggestion would be to down shift to neutral, and then turn off the key. but you can what if any bike to death -- what if the clutch cable broke on a manual clutched bike, and jammed the throttle wide open?

Has anyone given any thought about what you do if the throttle sticks open??? RIDE SAFE
Uhhhhhh..................Is this supposed to be a trick question?

How about.....................

Ready for this.................

I mean, this is just brilliant.....................

APPLY THE BRAKES!

Gee, I am a smart feller. Or was that fart smeller?

Uhhhhhh..................Is this supposed to be a trick question?

How about.....................

Ready for this.................

I mean, this is just brilliant.....................

APPLY THE BRAKES!

Gee, I am a smart feller. Or was that fart smeller?
Actually, I honestly believe, IMHO, a good bit of both!!<LOL>

I now have 1800 miles on the bike and continue to enjoy it. I do not agree with some about the auto clutch at low speeds and leaving from a standing start. You can be smooth or you can be jerky and this makes me a little uneasy at low speeds as you must rely on the auto clutch. I've ordered a 47 liter givi tail bag for two riding which also provide a good back rest for her. When I ride solo I use a Yamaha sport tail bag. It provides a lot of extra storage room which has easy access, provides a slight back rest and looks good on the bike. I use 4 snaps on the bottom of the passenger seat to hold it in place so it easy on and easy off. I still find the throttle return too strong for smooth shifting and plan on addressing this soon. I rode my BMW LT 30k last year and did not plan on the AE replacing it but I'm having second thoughts on that. This is really a excellent bike however I do not think the auto clutch will be accepted by most riders until Yamaha resolves the low speed issues. Has anyone given any thought about what you do if the throttle sticks open??? RIDE SAFE
I think the kill switch will resolve an open stuck thotte problem.