When did you get your 06 AE bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When did you get your 06 AE bike delivered?

• March 1-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 16-31

• April 1-15

• April 16-30

• May 1-15

• May 16-31

• June 1-15

• June 16-30

• July 1-15

• July 16-31

• Total voters
We all know the kill switch works but it's still a valid thought. As part of my routine riding I often do "What if" manuevers just to keep my skills sharp. When your driving in an isolated surrounding you might want to find a nice curve to go around and say to your self "What if the throttle sticks" and hit the kill switch and see what it feels like to straighten things up with no power. Just a thought to sharpen skills and prepare for the unexpected.

I now have 1800 miles on the bike and continue to enjoy it. I do not agree with some about the auto clutch at low speeds and leaving from a standing start. You can be smooth or you can be jerky and this makes me a little uneasy at low speeds as you must rely on the auto clutch. I've ordered a 47 liter givi tail bag for two riding which also provide a good back rest for her. When I ride solo I use a Yamaha sport tail bag. It provides a lot of extra storage room which has easy access, provides a slight back rest and looks good on the bike. I use 4 snaps on the bottom of the passenger seat to hold it in place so it easy on and easy off. I still find the throttle return too strong for smooth shifting and plan on addressing this soon. I rode my BMW LT 30k last year and did not plan on the AE replacing it but I'm having second thoughts on that. This is really a excellent bike however I do not think the auto clutch will be accepted by most riders until Yamaha resolves the low speed issues. Has anyone given any thought about what you do if the throttle sticks open??? RIDE SAFE
Well.....The reply would be as rational as this alternate question:

What do you do if the throttle is stuck closed???

SilverStreak

I finally picked up my new AE this past Friday! :yahoo:

I was able to put over 400 miles on it this weekend.

It has so many improvements over my 86' FJ1200. I believe the FJ12 has a little over it in the low rpm range. I found this out in a top gear roll on from 50 to 70 mph against my father on his ST1300. He pulled a solid two bike lengths on me. He can't do that against the old FJ. And here I thought the FJR was suppose to be quicker than the ST :dribble: I'm sure the story will change as it gets broke-in or starting from a high rpm.

I have mixed feeling about the electric shift. It works great most of the time. I seem to have a hard time getting from first to second gear smoothly. It wants to lurch most of the time. The rest of the shifts are smoothest if I don't try to roll off the throttle at all. I found the electric shift to work fantastic while working the corners. It allowed for easy up-shifts or down-shifts without having to move my toes off the peg to grab another gear.

There's not much difference in heat from the old FJ, and that's a good thing. The FJR is a little warmer due to the better wind protection provided.

After a full day in the saddle my butt hurt worse that it ever did with the FJ with a Corbin seat. I think this is partially due to the Corbin and also to the more upright riding position on the FJR. An alternate seat may be in my future.

Jaster, I put a Corbin saddle on my FJR-AE and it's very comfortable. Since I have the smuggler installed with it I sit a little too forward on the tank but the padding in the front helps cushion the vital parts. At 340 lbs I could have used more seat and less smuggler.

Either way congrats on the new wheels. you'll get better with the shifting over time.

After reading how the AE shift system works, one thing I have not found out is, do you roll off the throttle to intiate a shift or do you keep the throttle steady? If you do not roll off the throttle I can see where the two-up riding experience would be more enjoyable. Does anyone know?

Diesel,

I picked up my 'AE' on the first of July and can answer your question. You can roll off the throttle a bit if you want to or need to but, depending on the speed, you might want to hold it the throttle steady at fairly slow acceleration. I have found it is possible to have a nearly 'seamless' shifting in a certain range of speed. In fact, the smooth shifting is possible througout the entire range of throttle.

I have read some comments that are a bit on the negative side, but, I would not trade this machine for any other machine on earth. Its a rocketship that is comfortable. The 'AE' is a truly amazing feature in my humble opinion.

The kill switch would be the thing to do, old habits of depending on using the clutch die hard. I relieved some of the spring tention on the throttle and it made a big difference enabling smoother shifts and better throttle control going into and coming out of corners. The givi 47 tail bag looks good on the bike and for $250.00 with the back rest beats the yamaha set up. A couple of ideas for mount things. You can drill and tap the large cap nut between the handle bars and mount a ball stud. Also you can drill and tap the left handle bar just forward of the hand shifter location and mount a ball stud. They make ball studs with a small size thread so you can drill a small hole in the handle bar. The left handle bar location is ideal for the GPS. If you try to access the fuses you will need to know how to remove the 3rd fastener inside the fairing. It is easy but if you do not know how it is a real challenge. If you plan on using elect. jackets I suggest you go to the harley dealer they have an ideal set up that already has a built in blade fuse and hooks directly to the battery. They normally sell this set up for battery tenders. I have over 2700 miles on the bike and continue to enjoy more each time I ride it. RIDE SAFE

The deal is done & the bike is ready. All that's left is a few signed pages in the morning and then off and running. Pretty exciting and what an extended wait. The wife and I have a trip to S. FL in the cage planned for the weekend so farkling 101 will begin Monday with the blue sea, alarm, autocom, lights and such. Maybe I'll ride Monday and then start installs on Tuesday (better plan). The grin is already starting to show. :D

Don't worry, Be Happy!

WebDSCN1040a.jpg

Almost had it until my TX credit union screwed up and didn't fax the right paperwork right at closing time. :angry: Left us standing there without a sale completed. C U opens on Saturdays, so hopefully all this bologne will be over soon. Bike sure looks good. Lots of compliments on the Skyway sliders and bar ends & grip puppies from Cal Sport.

Don't worry, Be Happy!
WebDSCN1040a.jpg

Almost had it until my TX credit union screwed up and didn't fax the right paperwork right at closing time. :angry: Left us standing there without a sale completed. C U opens on Saturdays, so hopefully all this bologne will be over soon. Bike sure looks good. Lots of compliments on the Skyway sliders and bar ends & grip puppies from Cal Sport.
Congrats!!! As the owner of an AE myself, I know you will be thrilled with your ride. I've been shifting with the finger and have not hit the horn once. :shok:

Thanx Thor. The horn button location and approximity to the shifter was one of the 1st things I looked at (because of all the reports of others). Now, just waiting for the C U to open this AM as is the cycle shop. If those folks in the finance dept work weekdays only, then it has to wait until Monday.

Thanx Thor. The horn button location and approximity to the shifter was one of the 1st things I looked at (because of all the reports of others). Now, just waiting for the C U to open this AM as is the cycle shop. If those folks in the finance dept work weekdays only, then it has to wait until Monday.
Well?

Well, got the call around noon Sat that it was cleared for take off. Wife and I had a trip to St. Petes planned (can't take golf clubs on the Feeg) so she takes me to pick it up and THEN: I drive home on my AE. I parked it in the garage and then immediately left for the weekend trip. Just got back from that and will open the garage tomorrow morning to see if I was dreaming or somethin.

It is so awesome. I was grinning from ear to ear. Yvonne (wife) took one picture and one video. Here's the pic

DSCN1041a.jpg

The video needed a little editing done 1st. here

It was a great day! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: