• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WynPro ( BIG-FOOT)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be time to think about an aftermarket rear shock
If I didn't know any better I'd think you're calling me a fat ass! :huh:
Oh no, nothing like that. It's just with something like a Penske you can adjust the ride-height so you don't have to drag parts.
I was being sarcastic!

Anyhow, I don't think the CFO will allow much right now, got one in the oven so my fun budget is pretty much non-existent right now. :drinks:

Got mine, looks like a little grinding will be needed to clear the aftermarket exhaust...
thank you Jeff for the cool new farkle...maybe another one will fit on the left slider...
Huh?

I thought the one on the side stand WAS the left slider... :blink:

I'm gonna run down and look for a kickstand on the right side now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine, looks like a little grinding will be needed to clear the aftermarket exhaust...
thank you Jeff for the cool new farkle...maybe another one will fit on the left slider...
Huh?

I bet the one on the right is the one with the design defect, that is causing so many bikes to fall over when placed on the stand. I think they removed it before the 2008 build runs, because mine doesn't have one there.

:rofl: :rofl:

I think you're right. I bet everyone that tries to put the bike on the right side stand drops their bike.

Huh?

I'm working on an electric activitated hydraulic center stand...stand tuned

also, then, a project where I can store a spare tire/wheel somewhere

:blink:

Huh?

I'm working on an electric activitated hydraulic center stand...stand tuned

also, then, a project where I can store a spare tire/wheel somewhere

:blink:
In other words, inventing a Gold Wing. I don't want to be the only one at the rallies without one of these, so paypal sent

Jeeezzz. After all the adulation, I hate to be the one to bring up a negative. I love the pad. Great idea. Well made. I put mine on my '08 a month ago and all was great. But with all the rain in NorCal last month I didn't ride much.

This Sunday I was out with da wiffee, and had a chance to be a little more aggressive on the Silverado Trail in Napa. GRIIIIINDD !!!!

Now I don't mind a little peg scrapping. Pegs are on hinges. But non-movable hard parts, that's a different story. Visions of lifting a rear tire start circulating in my feeble brain.

So, the question is, has anyone thought of a solution? There's nearly 3/4 inch clearance with my stock pipe. If I could take up much of that clearance, I imagine the peg would once again be the low point on the left. But a quick glance at the kick-stand bracket makes that look dubious. Maybe some judicious grinding at just the right point?

Anybody else worried about this?

Chris

Jeeezzz. After all the adulation, I hate to be the one to bring up a negative. I love the pad. Great idea. Well made. I put mine on my '08 a month ago and all was great. But with all the rain in NorCal last month I didn't ride much.
This Sunday I was out with da wiffee, and had a chance to be a little more aggressive on the Silverado Trail in Napa. GRIIIIINDD !!!!

Now I don't mind a little peg scrapping. Pegs are on hinges. But non-movable hard parts, that's a different story. Visions of lifting a rear tire start circulating in my feeble brain.

So, the question is, has anyone thought of a solution? There's nearly 3/4 inch clearance with my stock pipe. If I could take up much of that clearance, I imagine the peg would once again be the low point on the left. But a quick glance at the kick-stand bracket makes that look dubious. Maybe some judicious grinding at just the right point?

Anybody else worried about this?

Chris
Yep, that's why my shiny new pad is sitting on the shelf in the garage :)

Jeeezzz...I was out with da wiffee, and had a chance to be a little more aggressive...GRIIIIINDD !!!!...Visions of lifting a rear tire...So, the question is, has anyone thought of a solution?
I diagnose your problem as a stock suspension without enough dynamic sag adjustment. The first best cure is an aftermarket shock since is sounds like you do enough aggressive riding to make it worth while. The second best cure is to adjust your stock shock's dynamic sag, while this won't necessarily be the best solution with a stock suspension it will help a whole lot.

If you have correct dynamic sag and you are still grinding your side stand you may want to reassess your street riding strategy :whistle:

Then again, it could just be that the foot pad is too large...

FWIW, the 'Beams make a full load on the FJR and we do some pretty aggressive riding on occasion. Before I put on an aftermarket suspension F & R, we would grind the pegs and for some reason I would grind my left boot but not the right one. After getting new springs F & R, a new shock and some setup time nothing touches or grinds unless the road is highly banked. The only time we ticked a peg more than once on the same day was on some 15-20 mph corners in WV.

Chris,

As noted above, I found mine at some point in a slightly-aggressive session the other day.

It was obviously not a biggie, I didn't even know I did it until I got home.

Now, that said, did you have your suspension flipped to HARD?

Reason I asked, is because the wife and were all over Napa & ST on Valentine's day, and I did have the pad installed. We didn't hit once, not even on hwy 128 in the real twisties. And I realized after I forgot to put the suspension to HARD. Didn't matter much, my lean angles were nowhere near as severe as they would have been solo, but still. I wasn't slouching, just keeping it in the wifeys comfort zone.

Anyhow... A decent size rider & his pillion and crap in the bags can add up. Especially if you don't flip the switch.

Chris,
As noted above, I found mine at some point in a slightly-aggressive session the other day.

It was obviously not a biggie, I didn't even know I did it until I got home.

Now, that said, did you have your suspension flipped to HARD?

Reason I asked, is because the wife and were all over Napa & ST on Valentine's day, and I did have the pad installed. We didn't hit once, not even on hwy 128 in the real twisties. And I realized after I forgot to put the suspension to HARD. Didn't matter much, my lean angles were nowhere near as severe as they would have been solo, but still. I wasn't slouching, just keeping it in the wifeys comfort zone.

Anyhow... A decent size rider & his pillion and crap in the bags can add up. Especially if you don't flip the switch.
TMC, Yep, I've got the rear suspension lever on "hard". We didn't have any luggage, it was just a day-ride. Ionbeam is probably right, I should be popping for a better suspension, but I'm tapped out, and mostly I ride 2-up, so not all that aggressive. It really hasn't been a big problem before. Tick the pegs a little on rare occasions, but nothing worrisome. I've been happy not to have to invest additional resources, ya know? Not sure yet what would happen when I'm solo, with a lot less weight. Might actually not be a problem in that case.

I'm thinking about getting down on the floor with a lot of light and seeing where the stand arm contacts the bracket and see if a tiny bit of Dremel work in just the right spot might move that pad up a half inch. Depending on angles, it might not take much work to make an improvement.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.