Y.C.C.S....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there were no mechanical issues with the system? I've read that "true motorcyclist" did not like it.........for what ever reason. But the system as a whole was mainly trouble free? I ask becasue my bike has it and it's a totally new experience and it's taking some getting use to.

Nope, no troubles. As as far as who likes and who doesn't - it is kind of a religious type issue. I have it and like it, bought a second one as a matter of fact.

Being it is one of them there new fangled gadgets, some folks don't like it.

I think mine took all of about five minutes for me to get it. One tip though...get out of 1st gear early. Shifting is much easier 2nd - 5th. I also shift both up and down with my index finger. I like to leave my thumb free for the horn. Over time you will have a tendency to brake by downshifting much more so than you did with a standard clutch. All well and good, but you have to tap the brakes once in a while to let traffic behind you know when you are braking. Good luck! :)

I have the same year and love it. Went on a few charity runs last year and while other folks got to the end with serious forearm flare ups, I was grinnin ear to ear wondering what all the fuss was about!

Having owned both now, I would have to say that it is pretty much a wash between the two bikes as far as the pros and cons. I love them both. And if they every bring it back with a duel clutch system, I wouldn't hesitate on getting one.

I also shift both up and down with my index finger. I like to leave my thumb free for the horn.
I tend to upshift with the finger and downshift with the foot....not sure why or how I got into that habit, but it works for me! And I will echo the suggestion of getting it into 2nd sooner rather than later!

I think mine took all of about five minutes for me to get it. One tip though...get out of 1st gear early. Shifting is much easier 2nd - 5th. I also shift both up and down with my index finger. I like to leave my thumb free for the horn. Over time you will have a tendency to brake by downshifting much more so than you did with a standard clutch. All well and good, but you have to tap the brakes once in a while to let traffic behind you know when you are braking. Good luck! :)
I do the same thing...shift with my finger. Ive found shifting with the paddle shifter provides MUCH smooher shifts. Maybe its just the blipping of the throttle on shifts its easier to coordinate with your other hand than with your foot. But I can say after about 2500 miles on the AE, I really, really enjoy the system. It is sooooo much smoother and faster shifting, even at WOT.

As far as why its not continued? As previously mentioned probably lack of units sold. I will say though, almost everyone who hasnt tried it is sceptical, and I have yet to read of anyone who doesnt like it once theyve gotten it.

Why did Yamaha discontinue the Y.C.C.S. clutch system?
Only MamaYama (Cypress) knows -- but, they weren't discontinued in all markets ("Automatics" are still offered in more 'aware' markets).

As far as why its not continued? As previously mentioned probably lack of units sold. I will say though, almost everyone who hasnt tried it is sceptical, and I have yet to read of anyone who doesnt like it once theyve gotten it.
I think it was, probably?, "Shovelling against the tide" -- the most popular bikes in America are, like, 50 year-old designs. :huh:

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

BTW, welcome to the 21st century...! :)

I absolutely love it!!! Also, the AE had the better colors. I will third the motion of getting into second earlier. Off the line and running it up, it will lag for a sec between shifts but 2-5 are great. I broke my shift foot and was able to ride over a month sooner with the hand shift than I would have on the standard. Also, if I'm running a pace in the twisties, I love the hand shift so I can use my weight more on the pegs turning that beast, left in particular. It does spoil you. It took less than 5 minutes to get used to it and that was just not grabbing for a clutch and learning to modulate the back brake more during quick, tight turns instead of using the clutch. The only con is that I can't blip the throttle for any reason but I'll take that trade off not to get a Popeye forearm workout at red lights holding a clutch in, especially in town. I would definately get another AE.

Only MamaYama (Cypress) knows -- but, they weren't discontinued in all markets ("Automatics" are still offered in more 'aware' markets).
Can't say for certain, but I believe their continued availability in some markets is due to Yamaha's selling off left-over inventory, not continued YCCS production. I hope I'm wrong.

My main reason for getting the AE over standard was the color....ok and having a bike that confuses the hell out of the rest of the riders who keep asking me where is the clutch.... or is it an automatic???...

Love the bike........

Yeah, none of Honda's auto-tranny models have sold either, all the way back to the CM450A back in the '80s. I never tried an AE (none around to try) but I did really like the Suzuki Burgman scooter with the auto a lot! That little thing hauled some majorly serious buttock.

I also have come to love the AE.....but I do find myself shifting up with my finger and down with the foot..........don't know why.

I decided I wanted an Advanced Edition after test riding a 2010 FJR and not liking the clutch effort, it was even higher than the ST1300 I had ridden 200 miles that same day.

I liked the AE even better when I found a dealer selling them for well below the list price of an ordinary FJR. :yahoo:

I'm sure Mama Yama didn't enjoy that discount as much as I did.

After ~11,000 miles on my AE I like everything about YCCS except for low speed parking maneuvers. While you can't stall the AE, its still a challenge for me to do really tight low speed turns on it. So I mostly avoid them.

I think the YCCS system is just not something that was popular enough to justify its existence in the U.S. market.

What I really want is a 'clutch' by wire system, similar to the throttle-by-wire many new bikes have. Using a simplified YCCS to operate the clutch based on input from an A/D converter connected by a wire to a clutch lever operated by low effort spring. The rider shifts with his foot

That would sell I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have an AE and am definatley in the minority at just 32yo. I bought it mostly because a dealer had an 07 brand new for 9k in 2010. After the test drive the first thing out of my mouth was WHY AREN'T MORE BIKES THIS WAY! It's an impressive technology and makes riding so much more enjoyable. 16k later that year and there is no way I could go back! I hate that they discontinued it. Don't know what I will do when I wear this one out.

Only thing I don't like is 1st to 2nd redline shift has to be timed just right or it will not drop the cluch. Other than that it's cherry!!!

All they would have to do is install a manual clutch and have a switch to use auto if u wanted to. It would sell then!

Last edited by a moderator: