Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: Just watched the video. Awesome bike..!!! She's a beast, though: 575 lbs / 261 kgs. Full specs:

XT1200Z Super Ténéré

Features -

* Shaft drive inline 2-cyl engine - 270-degree crank

* Mass kept low and central for agile handling

* Intelligent Unified Brake System and ABS

* YCC-T with 3-stage traction control plus Yamaha D-mode

* First edition adventure pack

* Tough spoked, tubeless aluminium rims

* Adjustable front and rear suspension

* Adjustable seat height

Engine -

Engine type liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, Forward-inclined parallel 2-cylinder, 4-valve, fuel injected, twin spark engine

Displacement 1199 cc

Bore x stroke 98 x 79.5 mm

Compression ratio 11.0 : 1

Maximum power -

Maximum torque -

Lubrication system Dry sump, oil tank in crankcase

Fuel System Fuel injection

Clutch type Wet, multiple-disc coil spring

Ignition system Twin spark

Starter system Electric

Transmission system Constant mesh, 6-speed

Final transmission Shaft

Fuel tank capacity 23 L (6 gal)

Oil tank capacity 4.2 L

Chassis -

Chassis: Steel tube backbone

Front suspension system Telescopic forks

Front travel 190 mm

Rear suspension system Monoshock, adjustable preload and rebound damping

Rear travel 190 mm

Caster angle 28°

Trail 125mm

Front brake Hydraulic Twin Ø 310 mm wave discs

Rear brake Hydraulic Single Ø 282 mm wave disc

Front tyre 110/80R19M/C 59V

Rear tyre 150/70R17M/C 69V

Dimensions -

Length 2,250 mm

Width 980 mm

Height Min:1,410 mm / Max:1,440 mm

Seat height Adjustable 845-870 mm

Wheel base 1,540 mm

Minimum ground clearance 205 mm

Wet weight 261 kg (575 lb)

Last edited by a moderator:
thumb_Yamaha_Super_Tenere_2010_1.jpg

It is indeed a beautiful machine, but: 575 pounds wet is really a turn off for an off road machine! I bought my 1996 BMW R1100GS ABS with the BMW Factory Sidebags on October 1, 1995. The first thing I did after I rode it away from Dirt & Street on 7th St. in Phoenix was to get it to my shop to weigh "Mi Mexico Mule".

I topped off her tank a block away from Metro Mechanical, where I headed up the Pipefitting Division, and placed her on our State of AZ monthly calibrated scales.

I was really bummed out that she weighed 535 lbs., I was truly hoping she was at least under 500 lbs.; sort of the threshold for a true dual sport off road machine.

Forty more pounds than a R1100GS is a shocker to me, coupled with what I know about Yamaha's engineering capabilities. Just before I retired from Metro last year, we put my buddy's KTM 990 Adventure with the gray plastic KTM bags on the calibrated scale, and it came in at 545 lbs. 575 lbs. wet is a real heavy off road porker!!

OMG!!!! THAT is dead sexy. That wet weight had me concerned, but love at first sight might just overcome her slightly portly stats. Does this motorcycle have any chance of being sold in the U.S.?

YIKES!! I didn't need that pic posted to give me motorcycle acquisition syndrome. And it's a Yamaha!!!!! Damn, damn, damn. What am I gonna hafta sell??? XX on the block, or the KLR, or both?

Bastages, all of ye -- F'ing ENABLERS shouldn't be posting pics of that which would make a 6 week ride to Canada's and Alaska's gravel roads such a siren song. 2011? 2012 before the world ends? AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

EDIT to add link: Be still my heart!

OMG!!!! THAT is dead sexy. That wet weight had me concerned, but love at first sight might just overcome her slightly overweight stats.

YIKES!! I didn't need that pic posted to give me motorcycle acquisition syndrome. And it's a Yamaha!!!!! Damn, damn, damn. What am I gonna hafta sell??? XX on the block, or the KLR, or both?

Bastages, all of ye -- F'ing ENABLERS shouldn't be posting pics of that which would make a 6 week ride to Canada's and Alaska's gravel roads such a siren song. 2011? 2012 before the world ends? AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
I fully agree with you, exskibum! That truly is a dead sexy motorcycle. And for Canada's and Alaska's gravel roads, it would still be a perfect machine for those roads!

OMG!!!! THAT is dead sexy. That wet weight had me concerned, but love at first sight might just overcome her slightly overweight stats.

I fully agree with you, exskibum! That truly is a dead sexy motorcycle. And for Canada's and Alaska's gravel roads, it would still be a perfect machine for those roads!
And I agree with both of you guys, it would be an awesome mount to wander around Nevada....Arizona...New Mexico...Utah...you get the picture

I'd gladly trade my FJR for one at this point! (though I doubt I would in reality!)

And I agree with both of you guys, it would be an awesome mount to wander around Nevada....Arizona...New Mexico...Utah...you get the picture
I'd gladly trade my FJR for one at this point! (though I doubt I would in reality!)
IF this bike hits US shores, I'm seriously thinking that the proper way to address this issue of lust is to sell the other two bikes and let this one keep my FJR company in the garage. Maybe pick up a smaller dual sport like the Suzuki DRZ 400 (in blue, of course).

Damn, damn, damn!!!

AVGeek: I can't mention this on any of the BMW Forum's I frequent, because mein BMW Komraden would rat me off to Hans und Dieter in Berlin, Deutschland.

Once one takes the Blue und White Roundel Kool-Aid Blood Oath, you can never leave the BMW Motorraden ranks, without running the risk of Hans und Dieter catching a Lufthansa jet and coming to Amerika to break both of your kneecaps. But, I could see myself getting rid of one of my Beemers for this Super Tenere!

Once one takes the Blue und White Roundel Kool-Aid Blood Oath, . . . . But, I could see myself getting rid of one of my Beemers for this Super Tenere!
SEE?!? I F'ing KNEW that this was a serious condition the moment I laid eyes upon this Yamaha. I'm about to call Peter at Roseville Yamaha.

Dudes -- IS this bike coming to the homeland?

Once one takes the Blue und White Roundel Kool-Aid Blood Oath, . . . . But, I could see myself getting rid of one of my Beemers for this Super Tenere!
SEE?!? I F'ing KNEW that this was a serious condition the moment I laid eyes upon this Yamaha. I'm about to call Pete at Roseville Yamaha.

Dudes -- IS this bike coming to the homeland?
It's anyone's guess. Yamaha was supposed to launch the 660 here in '09, but that didn't happen owing to lack of dealer interest. While I'm sure the dealers may have more interest in this bike, big ticket bikes still aren't moving here (I'd put money on a price point of at least $14K if and when it launches here). Maybe they'll reintroduce the PDP which is what they appear to be doing for this first edition bike in Europe. Less dealer risk that way, though Yamaha will still have to jump through the DOT hoops to get the bike certified for the US. If they do that, then we could see it next year or late next year as a 2012 model.

Fuel tank capacity 23 L (6 gal) is good if the gas mileage is OK.

Anybody know if these tire sizes are common enough to find choice?

Fuel tank capacity 23 L (6 gal) is good if the gas mileage is OK.

Anybody know if these tire sizes are common enough to find choice?
They're what's on a GS so there are plenty of options - including knobbies, available. Matter-of-fact, this bike is so squarely targeting the GS, it's almost a shock that Yamaha just doesn't come right out and say it.

I put in a call in to Peter, the sales manager at Roseville Yamaha, and am awaiting a return call. My message is to request that he pass it on to MamaYama's sales division to PLEASE at least make this motorcycle available in the US via PDP! I'm thinking we need some grass roots pressure, now that they've dropped this gorgeous bomb of apparently perfect adventure bike attributes in the world's motorcycle consciousness.

EDIT to add:

Just got a call back. Call your dealer's sales manager and have this conversation! The apparent reason that Yamaha has given short shrift to the US market is the belief that the price point it requires would not attract enough buyers. The guess, considering dollar/yen exchange rates, is that it may be $16K+, which is apparently what it's going to command in Australia. But this is a new frame, a new engine, the new V-Max shaft drive, and a lot of other cool stuff (e.g., consider traction control's unique application in a bike with an engine big enough to ably handle thousands of miles of interstate when that same power is overapplied in dirt and gravel).

Still unknown if we can get it here, but I'm first on Peter's list for news about its availability and features -- he certainly wants to see Yamaha decide to make it available. I made the case that FJR owners proved that PDP works here with a high price point Yamaha product originally targeted for overseas markets, and that this bike is raising temperatures among many of us (including a Beemer owner whose insta-lust caused him to blaspheme against the Kool-Aid Werks). Peter then told me that a friend in an Amsterdam Yamaha dealership had just told him that this thing would kill BMW and KTM here if we get it.

:dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Yes, please. Make mine in Blue just like the pic...and bring back the PDP if that what it takes to get the machine here. I suffered through it twice, and wouldn't have any problems doing it a third time!

My lust for an Adventure just went away. :eek:

--G

Peter then told me that a friend in an Amsterdam Yamaha dealership had just told him that this thing would kill BMW and KTM here if we get it.
Letter written to local dealer, will deliver tomorrow in person. I suffered the PDP in '04, and I got what I asked for.

:dribble:

Peter then told me that a friend in an Amsterdam Yamaha dealership had just told him that this thing would kill BMW and KTM here if we get it.
Letter written to local dealer, will deliver tomorrow in person. I suffered the PDP in '04, and I got what I asked for.

:dribble:
On ADVrider, a guy writes that the price in Holland will be 16,999 euros for the "First Edition" bike as pictured (w/ panniers, bash plate, etc.). That's $22,900.00. Ouch..!! I refer back to my earlier comment that I wouldn't expect to see this bike here in the US for less than $14,000.00 (ex. accessories). Loaded out, this bike is going to push that $16,000 - $20,000 range already inhabited by the Europeans; BMW (1200 GS), Ducati (MTS 1200), KTM (Adventure) and Moto Guzzi (Stelvio ABS). And, seriously, when you're already up in that price range, you're not really looking to save a grand or 2, you're just looking for the best bike. If Yamaha brought this bike in at, say, sub ~$12K (i.e., $11,999), well, that'd be a completely different story. It'd be like Black Friday at Walmart. There'd be lines around the block. I'd camp out. For a month. Literally.

On ADVrider, a guy writes that the price in Holland will be 16,999 euros for the "First Edition" bike as pictured (w/ panniers, bash plate, etc.). That's $22,900.00. Ouch..!! I refer back to my earlier comment that I wouldn't expect to see this bike here in the US for less than $14,000.00 (ex. accessories). Loaded out, this bike is going to push that $16,000 - $20,000 range already inhabited by the Europeans;
You can't go by the Dutch. Go find out what an FJR costs them. I think you will be quite surprised.