Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thumb_Yamaha_Super_Tenere_2010_1.jpg
OMG!!!! THAT is dead sexy. That wet weight had me concerned, but love at first sight might just overcome her slightly portly stats. Does this motorcycle have any chance of being sold in the U.S.?

YIKES!! I didn't need that pic posted to give me motorcycle acquisition syndrome. And it's a Yamaha!!!!! Damn, damn, damn. What am I gonna hafta sell??? XX on the block, or the KLR, or both?

Bastages, all of ye -- F'ing ENABLERS shouldn't be posting pics of that which would make a 6 week ride to Canada's and Alaska's gravel roads such a siren song. 2011? 2012 before the world ends? AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

EDIT to add link: Be still my heart!

LOVE THE BEAST !!!!! USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA IM BUYING !

OMG!!!! THAT is dead sexy. That wet weight had me concerned, but love at first sight might just overcome her slightly portly stats. Does this motorcycle have any chance of being sold in the U.S.?

YIKES!! I didn't need that pic posted to give me motorcycle acquisition syndrome. And it's a Yamaha!!!!! Damn, damn, damn. What am I gonna hafta sell??? XX on the block, or the KLR, or both?

Bastages, all of ye -- F'ing ENABLERS shouldn't be posting pics of that which would make a 6 week ride to Canada's and Alaska's gravel roads such a siren song. 2011? 2012 before the world ends? AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

LOVE THE BEAST !!!!! USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA-USA IM BUYING !

please call... 714-761-7300

Henio Arcangeli Jr.

President, Yamaha Motorsports USA

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

If you want it we all need to contact Yamaha ->

please call... 714-761-7300

Henio Arcangeli Jr.

President, Yamaha Motorsports USA

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

I LOVE IT ! :)
Has anyone ever ridden a (claimed) 575 lb bike off pavement? There was a reason that BMW went to such great lengths to attempt to reduce the weight of their 575 lb R1150GS by 60 pounds...and why the R1200GS has been so popular. If I wanted to spend 16K for an adventure touring bike I would stick with a lighter bike especially after spending a couple of days of riding the overweight and top heavy R1150GS...which made my DL1000 feel like a lightweight.

It is indeed a beautiful machine, but: 575 pounds wet is really a turn off for an off road machine! I bought my 1996 BMW R1100GS ABS with the BMW Factory Sidebags on October 1, 1995. The first thing I did after I rode it away from Dirt & Street on 7th St. in Phoenix was to get it to my shop to weigh "Mi Mexico Mule".
I topped off her tank a block away from Metro Mechanical, where I headed up the Pipefitting Division, and placed her on our State of AZ monthly calibrated scales.

I was really bummed out that she weighed 535 lbs., I was truly hoping she was at least under 500 lbs.; sort of the threshold for a true dual sport off road machine.

Forty more pounds than a R1100GS is a shocker to me, coupled with what I know about Yamaha's engineering capabilities. Just before I retired from Metro last year, we put my buddy's KTM 990 Adventure with the gray plastic KTM bags on the calibrated scale, and it came in at 545 lbs. 575 lbs. wet is a real heavy off road porker!!
No doubt, it IS a heavy bike, made "heavier" by the fact that it's tall and intended for off-pavement riding as a big part of its mission. You know what, though: there are a couple things that make me a little less afraid of the significant weight of this bike (heavier than my KLR and even my XX, though lighter than my FJR).

First is the state of the art counter-balanced parallel twin engine, which design (like the 3 yr. old 2 cylinder 650cc twin in Ninja 650R and Versys Kawasakis) allows the smallest powerplant, the best mass centralization and optimum powerplant placement. I'd bet that engine design scores near the best power to weight and size ratios of all similar displacement street legal MC engines. Also utilized in das Motor Werks' K bikes, canting the engine barrels forward should allow even greater lowering of C.O.G. for that power plant, as well.

The other big weight component for this bike must be the shaft drive/swingarm assembly. Again -- weight low on the bike. Shafts lose more engine power getting it to the ground and weigh considerably more than a chain or belt, but it's a maintenance dream answered (without the firey demises of Hans and Dieter's designs). So . . .

This thing just might feel and handle a lot lighter than it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE IT ! :)
Has anyone ever ridden a (claimed) 575 lb bike off pavement? There was a reason that BMW went to such great lengths to attempt to reduce the weight of their 575 lb R1150GS by 60 pounds...and why the R1200GS has been so popular. If I wanted to spend 16K for an adventure touring bike I would stick with a lighter bike especially after spending a couple of days of riding the overweight and top heavy R1150GS...which made my DL1000 feel like a lightweight.

I agree... that's like an FJR... LOL Ive been reading all day about the bike.. Many are talking about the over all geometry and weight position on the bike will help allot of that, Bla-Bla-Bla.... I'm just going to wait till I see all the reviews of the bike and go from there... Yamaha builds damn good stuff.... If the bike was packed up, full of fuel, packed with mud and you fell.............. GOOD LUCK ! But I think this is a straight shot at the BMW GSA... if someone where to look at the two, they are close in many things.... People love the BMW around the world and Yamaha wants some of that action... Is it the bike for me, ( I LOVE IT SO FAR ) is it for anyone else, not sure... Its just what someone is looking for.... :) :)

It is indeed a beautiful machine, but: 575 pounds wet is really a turn off for an off road machine! I bought my 1996 BMW R1100GS ABS with the BMW Factory Sidebags on October 1, 1995. The first thing I did after I rode it away from Dirt & Street on 7th St. in Phoenix was to get it to my shop to weigh "Mi Mexico Mule".
I topped off her tank a block away from Metro Mechanical, where I headed up the Pipefitting Division, and placed her on our State of AZ monthly calibrated scales.

I was really bummed out that she weighed 535 lbs., I was truly hoping she was at least under 500 lbs.; sort of the threshold for a true dual sport off road machine.

Forty more pounds than a R1100GS is a shocker to me, coupled with what I know about Yamaha's engineering capabilities. Just before I retired from Metro last year, we put my buddy's KTM 990 Adventure with the gray plastic KTM bags on the calibrated scale, and it came in at 545 lbs. 575 lbs. wet is a real heavy off road porker!!
No doubt, it IS a heavy bike, made heavier by the fact that it's tall and intended for off-pavement riding as a big part of its mission. You know what, though: there's a couple things that make me a little less afraid of that substantial weight on this bike (heavier than my KLR and even my XX, though lighter than my FJR).

First is the state of the art counter-balanced parallel twin engine, which (like the 3 yr. old 2 cylinder 650cc twin in Ninja 650R and Versys Kawasakis) allows the smallest and best mass centralization from powerplant placement; I'd bet it scores near the best power to weight ratio of all similar displacement street engines. Also utilized in das Motor Werks' K bikes, canting the engine barrels forward should allow optimal lowering of C.O.G. for that power plant, as well.

The other big weight component for this bike must be the shaft drive/swingarm assembly. Again -- weight low on the bike. This thing just might feel and handle a lot lighter than it is.

I just posted something that you said before me.. I took the words out of your mouth..... LOL Your right, Ive been reading what you said all day... Looking forward to the reviews... There will be tons of U-Tube stuff in 24Hr from people in Istanbul where its being unveiled tomorrow in real life..

It's still a heavy pig for what it is. As good as it looks, I'm a bit disappointed by the weight.

It's still a heavy pig for what it is. As good as it looks, I'm a bit disappointed by the weight.
This thing ought to make it up the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest Road better than an FJR though. It ought to be great for some off pavement bonus hunting don't you think?

As much as it pains me, really pains me, to agree with my illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG: The pointy headed little prick is right on the money here, it is a heavy pig for what it is and the weight is an incredible disappointment for a dual sport bike! Now having said that, manufacturer's published weight data is usually wrong!

As I stated above in Post #42, my 1996 BMW R1100GS on a calibrated and certified scale, with a full tank of fuel and the BMW System Side Cases, weighed 535 lbs. Our good friend, friend of both Skooty and I, Seamus MacTreinfhir's 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure weighed 550 lbs. on a certified scale; with the full Adventure 8 gallon tank and the aluminum side cases. Another friend of Skooty, Seamus and Papa Chuy; Dave Cooley, a fellow employee at Metro Mechanical, had his 2005 BMW R1200GS with a full tank of fuel and the Al Jesse aluminum panniers weigh out at 495 lbs.. The reason for this lengthy description is that NONE of the BMW Factory's printed specifications have MATCHED the reality of true calibrated and certified weights! The BMW literature for the last 15 years shows both my R1100GS and Seamus's R1150GSADV at much higher weights than they really are; and conversely, they have shown the R1200GS much lighter than it really is. Why? Who the hell knows? They are fucking lying miserable Krauts! Just kidding, but I don't know! After our own personal experiences, I find myself skeptical of the 575 listed pounds.

Where you take this new Super Tenere all depends on how skilled a rider you are, regardless of its weight. Seamus was based in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and took his 550 lb. R1150GSADV off road all over the Middle East and North Africa. SkooterG, Seamus and Papa Chuy are constantly laughing at Dave because his R1200GS has never been on dirt in the 6 years and 90,000 miles he has put on his GS. My R1100GS has been all over Mexico, I mean all over Mexico, plus to Alaska and Canada. Mention of the centralized mass of this Yamaha can be a huge factor in making it easier to handle than a BMW GS. As MCRIDER007 correctly stated, the BMW GS's carry their weight up high; and until you put a number of miles on a GS, 155,000 on my 1996, that is a handicap. I feel the Yamaha will handle way better!

I really feel that this new Super Tenere will work really well on all gravel service roads in North America. I do not feel it well work well on the sandy tracks of the West Side Highway on the Baja California Peninsula between San Ignacio and San Juanico (Scorpion Bay). I also don't feel it can cut it between Batopilas and El Fuerte; and Alamos and Urique, in Mexico's Copper Canyon. But that is why ShinyPartsUp, Papa Chuy, Tucson Joe and three others on our FJR Forum will be riding those tracks on 450 lb. machines this coming November. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...t=0&start=0 I really like this new Super Tenere, I can easily see it as a replacement for my R1100GS. I also will write a letter to Yamaha expressing my interest in buying a Super Tenere, and will sell off one of my BMW's to make it so!

[SIZE=18pt]Booiiinnggg. [/SIZE]

I LIKEY

I generally don't buy the 1st year production for anything, but I can see one in my future!

Aftermarket windshield and I'm there with something new to farkle. :clapping:

Peter then told me that a friend in an Amsterdam Yamaha dealership had just told him that this thing would kill BMW and KTM here if we get it.
:dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Letter written to local dealer, will deliver tomorrow in person. I suffered the PDP in '04, and I got what I asked for.

:dribble:
On ADVrider, a guy writes that the price in Holland will be 16,999 euros for the "First Edition" bike as pictured (w/ panniers, bash plate, etc.). That's $22,900.00. Ouch..!! I refer back to my earlier comment that I wouldn't expect to see this bike here in the US for less than $14,000.00 (ex. accessories). Loaded out, this bike is going to push that $16,000 - $20,000 range already inhabited by the Europeans; BMW (1200 GS), Ducati (MTS 1200), KTM (Adventure) and Moto Guzzi (Stelvio ABS). And, seriously, when you're already up in that price range, you're not really looking to save a grand or 2, you're just looking for the best bike. If Yamaha brought this bike in at, say, sub ~$12K (i.e., $11,999), well, that'd be a completely different story. It'd be like Black Friday at Walmart. There'd be lines around the block. I'd camp out. For a month. Literally.

Don't worry about Euro pricing. It ought to be somewhere around that $12K range you're talking about, maybe a bit over if the yen exchange keeps getting whacky. Here's the similar price on a tag on a FJR a half-year back:

P1100009.jpg

We don't comprehend that the Europeans have a built-in tax of about 25% and they don't get the incentive pricing that we get.

While calls will help get it here sooner, it was the French dealer where I learned that the design of the 1200 Tenere was oriented to get it to the US. The Euro customers are ok with chains and their dealers wanted the bike to be a bit lower in price to compete with the commuter choices of KTM Adventures and Honda TransAlps.

I think the new Tenere is going to become one of those bikes that develops a cult following!

Checks

And Don - About that KoolAid:
KLR_render_thumb.jpg

:p
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=30373&hl= Ha, Ha: That's great, Bob! Checkswrecks, you will absolutely never hear me say one disparaging word about the mighty Kawasaki KLR 650; I still fully believe that the KLR's are still the very best bang for the buck in the motorcycling dual sport world! Great Bikes!!!

Before I sold "Mi Mexico Mule II" to fellow BMW AZ Beemers Club Member RJ Strayer, I'd put over 10K miles on her; primarily all offroad from the Yukon to Michoacan!

In Reply #8 of the link above, is a picture of my 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 at the first bridge over the Rio Urique in Mexico's Copper Canyon on the track to Batopilas.

That was one of two Copper Canyon trips that "Mi Mexico Mule II" carried me on, we also went to Urique together. She was indeed a faithful tough pack mule!

Bob: Have you given any thought to joining ShinyPartsUp, Tucson Joe, fjrrider and the other two FJR Forum riders on our Copper Canyon Expedition this coming November? With your off road world traveling life experiences, you would be a perfect match for this Mexico Adventure; and, we would love to see you join us!

As I stated above in Post #42, my 1996 BMW R1100GS on a calibrated and certified scale, with a full tank of fuel and the BMW System Side Cases, weighed 535 lbs. Our good friend, friend of both Skooty and I, Seamus MacTreinfhir's 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure weighed 550 lbs. on a certified scale; with the full Adventure 8 gallon tank and the aluminum side cases. Another friend of Skooty, Seamus and Papa Chuy; Dave Cooley, a fellow employee at Metro Mechanical, had his 2005 BMW R1200GS with a full tank of fuel and the Al Jesse aluminum panniers weigh out at 495 lbs.. The reason for this lengthy description is that NONE of the BMW Factory's printed specifications have MATCHED the reality of true calibrated and certified weights! The BMW literature for the last 15 years shows both my R1100GS and Seamus's R1150GSADV at much higher weights than they really are; and conversely, they have shown the R1200GS much lighter than it really is. Why? Who the hell knows? They are fucking lying miserable Krauts! Just kidding, but I don't know! After our own personal experiences, I find myself skeptical of the 575 listed pounds.
I think the reason it is so hard to match a GS's advertised weight to the weight of the bike you are riding is because they eventually have so many models/options (cast wheels. spoked wheels, bags, no bags, different size tanks) and even the magazines are not consistent which options they are weighing and whether they actually weigh them at all. However, the bikes coming out of Japan have usually listed manufacturer's dry weights which turned out to be about 70 lbs less then actual wet weight. I have noticed that some of the big four have started showing wet weights in their press releases but don't know if those numbers are accurate. It would really surprise me if the wet weights were understated so when Yamaha says 575 lbs I think you can count on taking at least that much to the bank.

Can you ride it off pavement? Sure, you can ride almost anything off pavement if you take it slow and easy; I found that out when 4 of us rode full dress touring bikes, pulling trailers, to Inuvik. I just don't want a 16K Adventure Touring bike, sitting next to my FJR, that I have to ride slow and easy when I take it off pavement. Maybe it will work great, it will be interesting to read the comparisons between the Tenere, R1200GS, and the new Multistrata.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....per+Tenere+1200 Wowser, Adventure Rider is sure buzzing about this! Lots of complaints about price and weight!
I think there is 175K people that have clicked on the link over there at ADV site.... Whooooo-hoooooo ! :) From all that I have read a good guess would be $12-15K in US.. Just a crazy guess... and the weight is 'right now' in line with its competitors.... Did you see that honking big muffler on that thing, that has got to be 40Lbs... Anyone ever take off your stock FJR pipes, I think they have lead in them to slow the bike down... LOL So, if this comes to the US, we can replace that lead basket and there is 25Lbs + right there... Also, this comes with bags, they probably weighed the bike with the bags and all the mounting hardware. Most if not all the other bikes in the category dont come with it standard and the manufacture is weighing the bike with out all that stuff......... Drop the lead cannon and drop the bags if someone didn't need them for the day and the bike is at the same weight as a few others or below a few others......

Guess Ill be doing more reading in the weeks and months to come!!!! "dreaming of US market".... LOL

Holy cow No One, you really got a hard-on for this bike. I think you are seeing things through rose-colored glasses.

25lbs+ weight savings with the can is a bit optimistic IMHO. You are also making a lot of other big ASSUMPTIONS about how they measure weight.

I am sure this will be a great bike, and bikes are more than the sum of their stats, but frankly, right now it's not comparing too favorably to the BMW GS1200 IMHO.

The Bimmer's wet weight is only 504 lbs. for crying out loud. The Super T's 575 lbs. is closer to my FJR's wet weight than it is the BMW. And as for mass centralization, well that's all well and good but I don't see how a vertical parallel twin is NOT going to be more top heavy than the boxer design.

6 gal tank for the yammie, vs. 5.3 for the BMW.

Slightly better rear suspension travel on the BMW.

What I would like to see is electrical system output. Something BMW typically excels at, and something Yamaha typically doesn't.

Still waiting on power/torque numbers.

The Yammie better be significantly cheaper the the BMW to be competitive imho. Of course all the magazines will love it, but once it's been out a year or so and we know some real world data, and not before then, then we'll have an idea how it stacks up. Right now it's all mental masturbation. Still, based on the numbers, I am still disappointed by that weight.

thumb_Yamaha_Super_Tenere_2010_2.jpg

Since the first picture has made so many people happy, here's another one in Blue...

Bij the way:

Power: 110 HP at 7250 rpm

Torque: 114 NM at 6000 rpm

So a bit less torque than compared to the BMW. (120Nm)

And for crying out loud, I see the copied one of BMW's VERY BAD habits of limiting left bag space because of the exhaust. Fuke me! I would have expected better from Yamaha.

No one's mentioned yet the huge engineering breakthrough that somehow allows this bike to have SYMETRICAL HEADLIGHTS! I bet the Bimmer people are in a panic over that! :lol:

https://www.motodiscovery.com/tours/mexico/ccadvtrain.html No One: Out of curiosity, just what do you want this machine to do for you? If you are looking to ride to Alaska like evilmedic13, Papa Chuy and many others have done on our FJR Forum, then this Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 will work just fine for that exact purpose.

But: KTM Adventure 990, BMW R1200GSADV and Moto-Guzzi Stelvio will also fill the bill just fine for the road from Watson Lake, Yukon Territory to Prudhoe Bay, AK.

If you've a ton of off road experience, then please ignore what I'm going to post up next. If you don't have lots of miles riding off road, may I humbly suggest the Moto Discovery Copper Canyon Adventure Training Tour. Basically, from the time you cross the border you'll be under the tutelage of Ramey "Coach" Stroud; a highly experienced off road explorer, racer and adventurer. For $2,649 for the 8 day ride and $859 for a rental Suzuki DR 650 you'll return to Estados Unidos being an accomplished off road rider. "Coach" covers Seated Endurance, Standing to Ride: Why and How, Traction Management and Hills, Switchbacks and Terrain. If you want more than gravel roads leading to Alaska, then you'll need a lighter bike than this Yamaha Super Tenere! You also may want to consider a $3K Kawasaki KLR 650!