Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one's mentioned yet the huge engineering breakthrough that somehow allows this bike to have SYMETRICAL HEADLIGHTS! I bet the Bimmer people are in a panic over that! :lol:
You're not kidding on this point, Freund Spud! Hans und Dieter called me on my short wave radio I keep in the basement for BMW Communiques and they're worried!

Last edited by a moderator:
thumb_Yamaha_Super_Tenere_2010_1.jpg
That is one sexxy bitch, I want one too. I suggest a group buy!!!!

There are a couple of good pictures and a video about the bike in the Orange Crush Forum on Adventure Rider. There is all the technical data as well when you work your way through the Yamaha site! The links are in the thread.

There are a couple of good pictures and a video about the bike in the Orange Crush Forum on Adventure Rider. There is all the technical data as well when you work your way through the Yamaha site! The links are in the thread.

Posted pictures and tech on first post too... :) :)

Ok guys just got off the phone with my local dealer here in St Louis, he was not very positive that this bike would ever make it here saying "europe gets all kinds of stuff we never get".

I mentioned the PDP/FJR program and he said "well you can get an FJR here now" and I said "exactly".

I told him I'd sell my harley tomorrow to get one of these and thanked him for his time. he ended the conversation by sounding rather suprised and saying "you know your the second guy to call about one of these today"

Id say if you want this bike TELL SOMEONE!

Ok guys just got off the phone with my local dealer here in St Louis, he was not very positive that this bike would ever make it here saying "europe gets all kinds of stuff we never get".
I mentioned the PDP/FJR program and he said "well you can get an FJR here now" and I said "exactly".

I told him I'd sell my harley tomorrow to get one of these and thanked him for his time. he ended the conversation by sounding rather suprised and saying "you know your the second guy to call about one of these today"

Id say if you want this bike TELL SOMEONE!

AWESOME Canyonman !!!! Did you call Yamaha YET ? LOL (phone number = first post) email and call your friends to do the same... Not sure it will make any difference but guess we should try.....LOL Sounds your as 'jonezzing' for the bike like I am......... ;-)

I don’t know guys, I may be a little dense but I’m just not feeling it. Where do you ride this thing? Sure it’s a great Alaska bike but what then? Unless your friends all ride big GS’s and stick to gravel/dirt roads you know won’t get too hairy I just don’t see this thing getting much seat time. I for one damn sure don’t want to be dropping a heavy-ass expensive scooter on my weekend quest to be the ultimate ADV rider. Hell, this thing makes KLR’s and DR’s look like motocross bikes and that’s’ what it will feel like once it gets beyond the point a Prius fears to tread. Yeah I know, the Dakar guys can float these things like a rally car but mere mortals like me would blow an eyeball vein picking this thing up more than once. I see a well-suspended FZ1, a fantastic all-rounder, but dual sport… I think not. My ass would suck the vinyl off the seat if the rear end started to come round. :unknw:

It does have traction control...ABS... all kinds of trick stuff. AND I WANT ONE.

I will be looking at them on the UK in a few months.

R

I don’t know guys, I may be a little dense but I’m just not feeling it. Where do you ride this thing? Sure it’s a great Alaska bike but what then? Unless your friends all ride big GS’s and stick to gravel/dirt roads you know won’t get too hairy I just don’t see this thing getting much seat time. I for one damn sure don’t want to be dropping a heavy-ass expensive scooter on my weekend quest to be the ultimate ADV rider. Hell, this thing makes KLR’s and DR’s look like motocross bikes and that’s’ what it will feel like once it gets beyond the point a Prius fears to tread. Yeah I know, the Dakar guys can float these things like a rally car but mere mortals like me would blow an eyeball vein picking this thing up more than once. I see a well-suspended FZ1, a fantastic all-rounder, but dual sport… I think not. My ass would suck the vinyl off the seat if the rear end started to come round. :unknw:
UberKul, reading your post confirms to me beyond a shadow of a doubt you have done lots of off road and adventure riding. You're right, this bike is only good for Alaska gravel/dirt roads; it's absolutely not an adventure touring machine, nor can it even be considered a dual sport. My BMW R1100GS, the KTM 990, and the Moto-Guzzi Stelvio are HUGE BIG Trailies, and this new Super Tenere is even larger than they are. I do agree with you, this new Yamaha can very well be considered a fantastic all-rounder and as a well suspended FZ1. But it truly is not even to be considered a dirt bike and is not even a dual sport! Hopefully, Yamaha sees a market!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point is that it's another jack-knife do most things bike, NOT that it's a dirt bike. Beemer recognized a long time ago that there are a lot of riders who want one bike to commute, sit up on trips, not be afraid of gravel, etc. For how far down bike sales are, I'm sure Yamaha put more than a little market research into figuring out what markets are out there, too. Yes, it'll be heavy, and no, I sure don't like the thought of dropping one anywhere. But I think it'll be extremely comfortable. This will also rank high with all those neighbors who have expensive 4 wheel drives simply "because," and not because they'd try to follow me through the brush in one of our old 4WD pickups.

UberKul, reading your post confirms to me beyond a shadow of a doubt you have done lots of off road and adventure riding. You're right, this bike is only good for Alaska gravel/dirt roads; it's absolutely not an adventure touring machine, nor can it even be considered a dual sport. My BMW R1100GS, the KTM 990, and the Moto-Guzzi Stelvio are HUGE BIG Trailies, and this new Super Tenere is even larger than they are. I do agree with you, this new Yamaha can very well be considered a fantastic all-rounder and as a well suspended FZ1. But it truly is not even to be considered a dirt bike and is not even a dual sport! Hopefully, Yamaha sees a market!
I've wondered about this for a long time related to the popularity of the the big BMW GS bikes too. This bike is the same as that in that where you can take it off road is limited depending on skill and ability to pick it up not to mention cost of the bike and expense of parts/repairs for too far off road excursions. I imagine one could ride any ST bike the same places if careful (not that I would). So my summation is that these types of big trailies are like 95% of big 4 wheel drive SUVs in that you could do the same stuff with an average family sedan, but people just like that rugged look and feel and the thought that "wow, I can climb sand dunes if I want--but never will". So guess it's a perception thing. I like it though, but think I'd buy a new Concours 2010 for less money to do the same highway duty. I'd still like to see 'em come to America so I can decide, :clapping: .

doctorj

I like the bike simply because I'm 6'5", and like the thought of lets of legroom, with a high torque engine. Truthfully, I would probably not take it off road at all, but it is nice to know you can. PLUS, Yamaha's shaft drives are proven durable (unlike the BMWs of late). That being said, I'm still planning to ride my FJR until it dies.

I like the bike simply because I'm 6'5", and like the thought of lets of legroom, with a high torque engine. Truthfully, I would probably not take it off road at all, but it is nice to know you can. PLUS, Yamaha's shaft drives are proven durable (unlike the BMWs of late). That being said, I'm still planning to ride my FJR until it dies.
I'm right there with you. With a 36" inseam, my legs get cramped on long trips. That's even with a custom seat in top position that adds another 3/4" to its height.

I'm right there with you. With a 36" inseam, my legs get cramped on long trips. That's even with a custom seat in top position that adds another 3/4" to its height.
So, if you guys are intending to keep your FJR's, would you really be willing to spend 16K for a Tenere so you could maybe take it off road someday? There are a lot less expensive options to have that capability. I currently have a 2004 DL1000 that I bought before my first FJR. It has a Wilber's shock and Ohlins springs in the forks, a very smooth ride on pavement, and does pretty good on gravel roads but I seldom take it anywhere...the only reason it is still in my garage is for the off pavement capability...but its only worth about $4500 so it isn't costing me that much to keep it. Like half the members of this board, I am thinking about an Alaska trip, but unless Deadhorse or Inuvik is a destination, I think I will take the FJR.