Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=5.0 They are starting to get a pretty good list of available farkles for the Super Tenere going on over at the Owners Forum. Oh boy, one more bike to spend goodies money on!

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=111.0 This is interesting! AltRider: A company in Seattle has already gotten their hands on a Super Tenere and are building accessories for it in their Washington fabrication shop.

https://www.altrider.com/blog/detail/id/59 You can sign up to receive updates on their new products for our bike!

What is your handle on the Tenere forum ?
Same as here: BeemerDonS Porky McPigdick.
That is Mister Porky McPigdick to you! Manatee Snatch Breath!

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=5.0 They are starting to get a pretty good list of available farkles for the Super Tenere going on over at the Owners Forum. Oh boy, one more bike to spend goodies money on!

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=111.0 This is interesting! AltRider: A company in Seattle has already gotten their hands on a Super Tenere and are building accessories for it in their Washington fabrication shop.

https://www.altrider.com/blog/detail/id/59 You can sign up to receive updates on their new products for our bike!

What is your handle on the Tenere forum ?
Same as here: BeemerDonS MISTER Porky McPigdick.

That is Mister Porky McPigdick to you! Manatee Snatch Breath!
Duly noted and corrected.

I've a great Phoenix Harley-Davidson shop I've been buying my H-D's from since 1989: Buddy Stubbs Harley-D. But the Central Arizona Yamaha shops are truly pathetic, a very sad state of affairs!
You might know Frank, Buddy's son and my landlord! I'm just up the road from the dealership...

And I agree on the Yamaha shops here in the Valley...I wound up going to a dealer in Texas for my Super Ten...Not quite as good of a deal as D&H, but closer for when it gets here (I bet I'll be working way too much again next year)!

I've a great Phoenix Harley-Davidson shop I've been buying my H-D's from since 1989: Buddy Stubbs Harley-D. But the Central Arizona Yamaha shops are truly pathetic, a very sad state of affairs!
You might know Frank, Buddy's son and my landlord! I'm just up the road from the dealership...

And I agree on the Yamaha shops here in the Valley...I wound up going to a dealer in Texas for my Super Ten...Not quite as good of a deal as D&H, but closer for when it gets here (I bet I'll be working way too much again next year)!
Oh my Gosh, AVGeek; what a small world that this is! https://www.buddystubbshd.com/

holidaypic(noderek)500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the new Cycle World in the mail with the Tenere on the cover. Nice looking bike. Was surprised to find out some of the pics for the article were taken by a guy who parks next to me in the garage at work.

I just discovered that you are unable to shut off the ABS.

For me that is a big issue since I have been considering upgrading the KLR to the Tenere. I spend a ton of time sliding around Georgia and North Carolina forest roads and full time ABS would Not be good.

Both the KTM and Beemer big bore duallies have a switch on the ABS.

Yamaha might want to reconsider this lack of choice on a bike that is pictured in most of the ads hauling ass down a dirt road.

For me that is a big issue since I have been considering upgrading the KLR to the Tenere. I spend a ton of time sliding around Georgia and North Carolina forest roads and full time ABS would Not be good.

Yamaha might want to reconsider this lack of choice on a bike that is pictured in most of the ads hauling ass down a dirt road.
https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum Not to worry, GA CYCLE RIDER; there is already a fix for that Yamaha **** up! Get yourself registered to post for info over at www.yamahasupertenere.com and you'll see that everyone has been concerned about this stupid brain fart on the part of Yamaha. Local Arizona Super Tenere dealers will be doing the same thing, on the sly QT! A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse!!!

For example, the Yamaha dealers of South Africa and New Zealand sell all of their Super Tenere's with a local dealership installed switch to turn off the ABS. They do not want the liability of a new owner getting hurt, by the inability to shut off the ABS in the dirt!

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum Not to worry, GA CYCLE RIDER; there is already a fix for that Yamaha **** up! Get yourself registered to post for info over at www.yamahasupertenere.com and you'll see that everyone has been concerned about this stupid brain fart on the part of Yamaha. Local Arizona Super Tenere dealers will be doing the same thing, on the sly QT! A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse!!!

For example, the Yamaha dealers of South Africa and New Zealand sell all of their Super Tenere's with a local dealership installed switch to turn off the ABS. They do not want the liability of a new owner getting hurt, by the inability to shut off the ABS in the dirt!
I have no experience with this, but most of the actual owners on ADV. rider say it is not really needed. Apparently, many people are judging it based on experience with ABS on other bikes, but this one seems to be different. In other words, the people that I read that are complaining about it are mostly the non riders i.e. those waiting to get them whereas the owners and riders (off road ones) are mostly saying it just works surprisingly well. Maybe that is the reason Yamaha didn't put a shut off switch on it. It could be a big brain fart on their part I guess, so we will all see.

doctorj

I have no experience with this, but most of the actual owners on ADV. rider say it is not really needed. Apparently, many people are judging it based on experience with ABS on other bikes, but this one seems to be different. In other words, the people that I read that are complaining about it are mostly the non riders i.e. those waiting to get them whereas the owners and riders (off road ones) are mostly saying it just works surprisingly well. Maybe that is the reason Yamaha didn't put a shut off switch on it. It could be a big brain fart on their part I guess, so we will all see.

doctorj

Doc-J

Like you said, I've read a million post about the ABS and 99% of them said the ABS is like no other bike out there, Etc, Etc..... From my point of view my ABS has saved my life twice on the FJR. So although I could figure out how to add a switch to it to turn it off im pretty sure im going to leave it alone and just ride and enjoy the darn MOST AWESOMELY NEW BIKE..... :yahoo:

One day someone might have a plug in switch I might try it off but I think for what I have planed for this bike I dont need a 'skid-out', hauling balls down some fire road needing to power slide around corners... :p :lol:

From what all the other countries are saying its a GREAT system...

AND- for people that dont read every bit of info on the Tenere ** YOU CAN TURN OFF THE ABS FROM THE FACTORY ** You just cant do it on the fly... Put it on the center stand, start engine, put in second gear for a few seconds and the ABS light will come on and indicate that the ABS system is OFF..... So it CAN be turned OFF........ :clapping:

AND- for people that dont read every bit of info on the Tenere ** YOU CAN TURN OFF THE ABS FROM THE FACTORY ** You just cant do it on the fly... Put it on the center stand, start engine, put in second gear for a few seconds and the ABS light will come on and indicate that the ABS system is OFF..... So it CAN be turned OFF........ :clapping:

Nice find on the video!

Yamaha sent me an Email (and everyone else) that the SUPER TENERE will be available to TEST RIDE at the International Motorcycle show this weekend in Dallas........

See you guys there ! ! ! ! I'm gunna sign up twice ! LOL :yahoo:

No One, would you ride it once for me too and see if there is a way your butt can make some kind of sensory file to send to my butt. I can install a sphincterometer to receive the file via internet :rolleyes: .

doctorj

No One, would you ride it once for me too and see if there is a way your butt can make some kind of sensory file to send to my butt. I can install a sphincterometer to receive the file via internet :rolleyes: .

doctorj
:blink: Now that's just being a little to anal, doc :blink:

Yamaha sent me an Email (and everyone else) that the SUPER TENERE will be available to TEST RIDE at the International Motorcycle show this weekend in Dallas........

See you guys there ! ! ! ! I'm gunna sign up twice ! LOL :yahoo:
I certainly hope that carries through ALL of the shows...I'll be signing up in Long Beach if it is...

I've read the ABS is so good, you won't need to switch it off when running off road. I guess we'll all find out in May when they are delivered. I can't wait to get mine. I'm hoping it will replace both my KLR and FJR.

I've read the ABS is so good, you won't need to switch it off when running off road. I guess we'll all find out in May when they are delivered. I can't wait to get mine. I'm hoping it will replace both my KLR and FJR.
I just read a post on the large thread at advrider that there is a switch being sold in Holland for around 65 euros. I won't get one but just wanted to let peeps know if really want one. I imagine others here in the USA will be able to do the same for less.

doctorj