Your favorite Scotch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunch o' rich folks on this forum. Who can afford that expensive stuff anyway? Oh, you don't ride much, so with the money saved from not buying fuel you splurge? :rolleyes:

[SIZE=8pt]Jus' kiddin' don't flame me or I'll fart and blow all of us up.. :rolleyes: [/SIZE]

I have little taste so I simply invite buds over to the Hondarosa, they bring the good stuff, then I feed them cheap stuff. They have a good time, forget they brought the good stuff, then leave, and I end up with good Scotch for free! :yahoo:

Cheap bastage!

So when can I come over?

As a Scot I've enjoyed many visits to the distileries that produce some of the fine malts mentioned so far. I have a particularly fond memory of visiting the Talisker distillery (Isle of Skye) on my 1984 BMW K100RS shortly before immigrating to Canada in 1992.

For the one or two discerning souls that have mentioned a fondness for Laphroaig, I'd heartily recommend the 16 or 18 year old Lagavoulin. Both hail from the Isle of Islay (promouned 'Isl-ah') off the west coast of Scotland and have a very different character from the Highland malts created on the mainland.

Lagavoulin - could be described as a cousin of the Laphroaig, but with increased refinement and a more gentle peaty character - you can almost taste the salty sea breeze on it too (the distillery stands right on the ocean's edge). I've never been a cigar man - but I would imagine that the smokers in the crew would find either of these malts a fine treat - and a completely different experience from the Highland / Mainland malts.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Scot I've enjoyed many visits to the distileries that produce some of the fine malts mentioned so far. I have a particularly fond memory of visiting the Talisker distillery (Isle of Skye) on my 1984 BMW K100RS shortly before immigrating to Canada in 1992.
For the one or two discerning souls that have mentioned a fondness for Laphroaig, I'd heartily recommend the 16 or 18 year old Lagavoulin. Both hail from the Isle of Islay (promouned 'Isl-ah') off the west coast of Scotland and have a very different character from the Highland malts created on the mainland.

Lagavoulin - could be described as a cousin of the Laphroaig, but with increased refinement and a more gentle peaty character - you can almost taste the salty sea breeze on it too (the distillery stands right on the ocean's edge). I've never been a cigar man - but I would imagine that the smokers in the crew would find either of these malts a fine treat - and a completely diffent experience from the Highland / Mainland malts.

The Lagavulin that I have had (here in the states) was an extremely, strong peaty flavor. I enjoyed it thoroughly, as it was very unique and bold, but it definitely had the strongest smoke flavor of any whiskey I've ever tasted. It's a good one to have on hand for a special occasion.

However, it's entirely possible that what we get exported to the US is different than what goes to other markets or stays in Scotland domestically. The same may be true for others as well... Worth considering IMO

I almost forgot about these:

0007161030019_LG.jpg

They're messy and they don't always burn evenly, but, they are tasty!

They're also cheap and sold everywhere.

0007161030019_LG.jpg

These are my favorite "cheap" cigar:

https://www.keywestcigar.com/cigars/quorum.html

Truth be told, the majority of cigars I buy are in the "under $5.00" range. ...many 3 bucks each. I like to treat myself now and then, but really can't afford to spend alot on cigars. (rather use it for the scotch)

My usual daily evening practice is to sit my ass down in my hot tub with a cigar and drink..so a drink and a cigar everyday can add up quickly.

I found a nice little 3 dollar cigar that's band simply says "Dominican Estates" in a orangish holographic background. It's a "corona" size, although I prefer the "Churchhill" sized cigars..

KM

0007161030019_LG.jpg

Blech. You are doing yourself a disservice smoking cigars like those.

And $3 is not all that cheap. You just need to you buy your cigars by the box and be a somewhat frugal shopper.

My daily cigars used to be Sancho Panza's at ~$45 per box of 20. (I no longer smoke daily)

I also liked the smaller (corona) sizes of Punch and Padron that could be had for right around $50 per box of 25.

Another way to go are the JR Alternatives. They are good bundled cigars and are less than $2 each.

However, it's entirely possible that what we get exported to the US is different than what goes to other markets or stays in Scotland domestically. The same may be true for others as well... Worth considering IMO
I have an Uncle that worked for Ballantines (blended whiskies) and that topic was discussed a while back with him. At that time, they did produce specific blends for different countries, but their primary blends remained unaltered regardless of the market.

I wonder if perhaps there was a "reduced power" blend specifically for France though, just like the FJR?

My all time favorite is the Balvenie 21 Port wood finish.....

balvenie-21yr_v.jpg

You clearly have exquisite taste!

The Balvenie 21 is my all-time favorite as well. It taught me what the definition of smooth is! Unfortunately, with the devaluation of the dollar, the price has gone from $64 to $103 in the last six years.

My all time favorite is the Balvenie 21 Port wood finish.....
balvenie-21yr_v.jpg

You clearly have exquisite taste!

The Balvenie 21 is my all-time favorite as well. It taught me what the definition of smooth is! Unfortunately, with the devaluation of the dollar, the price has gone from $64 to $103 in the last six years.
only 103? i remember it being about 100 bucks in the states, though the first one I got was duty-free out of Heathrow.

But when I was in TX in March, I spent 130 or so..... thought it was a bit much, but a gift to a friend. hmmm. can't spare a price for convincing somebody that scotch is the way forward..... :rolleyes:

My favorite Scotch?
A nice glass of Knob Creek bourbon with a splash of fresh rain water.

It protects my precious bodily fluids.
A distiller needs to remake the scene in Dr. Strangelove with Slim Pickens so that he is riding a giant bottle of bourbon and waving his hat. "We'll Meet Again" plays in the background. The bottom of the screen reads "Worried about Doomsday? Protect your precious bodily fluids: X and a splash of rain water."

Cutty Sark. It's what Dirk Pitt used to drink (until he became sissified)

cutty sark...interesting.... a favorite of haruki murakami (author) if you've read his stuff.....

never had it, but should give it a go sometime....don't see it that often at bars tho.

Cutty Sark. It's what Dirk Pitt used to drink (until he became sissified)

Yeah. lets all drink what fictional charicters drink. Had a bartender freind tell me that when the first Bond movies came out there was an absolute explosion in the amount of "Vodka Martini-shaken , not stirred" ordered at bars. Oddly, in one of the films they had it backwards..as in "stirred, not shaken".(think is was From Russia with Love...) So there were alot of folks ordering that way instead too.

The funny thing is most bartenders worth their salt know that Vodka Martinis are ALWAYS shaken and Gin Martinis are ALWAYS stirred (Gin "bruises")

When the "Big Lowboski" came out, the number of "White Russians" ordered tripled.

You can keep the Cutty Sark...and the white russian, but a good Vodka Martini is alright with me..

KM

("absolute" explosion...that was good...)

Well, thanks for all the input.

Managed to try several from the ones suggested:

Laphroaig 15 year old

Macallen

Balvenie 21 Port wood

Balvanie

Dalwhinnie 12

Talisker 10

Oban

17-year-old Ardbeg

Glenmorangie (port barrel)

Talisker

Glengoyne 17

--- Tullibardine---?

Cragganmore Single Speyside Malt 12 years old

Lochnagar

Scapa.

Grants

For price and taste, I'm going with the Balvanie Double wood 12 year old. The Port Wood is very nice, but goes for 130 a bottle here.

The Talisker was just too "smokey" ..some of the others were not to shabby, but I had to put a price limit on my choices for my "everyday Scotch"

Will likely spend go through the Irish whiskey's next, being fond of Micheal Collins and the blended scotches.

Cigars are much tougher to choose. Luckily my local cigar vendor is having a "open house" this thursday with free food, drink and cigars for those attending.

As variety is the spice of life , I doubt I will ever settle on smoking only one brand of cigar, much less sticking with one brand of scotch...when I have yet to try them all.

So thanks again for all your suggestions. Cheers.

KM

Laphroaig 15 year old

Macallen

Balvenie 21 Port wood

Balvanie

Dalwhinnie 12

Talisker 10

Oban

17-year-old Ardbeg

Talisker

Glengoyne 17

--- Tullibardine---?

Lochnagar

Scapa.

Grants

For price and taste, I'm going with the Balvanie Double wood 12 year old. The Port Wood is very nice, but goes for 130 a bottle here.

The Talisker was just too "smokey" ..some of the others were not to shabby, but I had to put a price limit on my choices for my "everyday Scotch"

Will likely spend go through the Irish whiskey's next, being fond of Micheal Collins and the blended scotches.

Cigars are much tougher to choose. Luckily my local cigar vendor is having a "open house" this thursday with free food, drink and cigars for those attending.

As variety is the spice of life , I doubt I will ever settle on smoking only one brand of cigar, much less sticking with one brand of scotch...when I have yet to try them all.

So thanks again for all your suggestions. Cheers.

KM
Hey, com'on buddy: "Let's all drink what fictional characters drink"? But Michael Collins? He was a great man of Irish history, and I like my Irish whiskey, but that's kind of like drinking a bourbon because it is named "Daniel Boone".

Just jerking your chain-- interesting thread to read. :blum:

B)

Hey, com'on buddy: "Let's all drink what fictional characters drink"? But Michael Collins? He was a great man of Irish history, and I like my Irish whiskey, but that's kind of like drinking a bourbon because it is named "Daniel Boone".Just jerking your chain-- interesting thread to read. :blum: B)

Oddly, I never gave much thought to Irish Whiskey's...being a Scotch fan. But several months back, my daughter asked me for some help picking out an Irish whiskey for her boss...as this she found was his booze of choice, and wanted to give him something "special" as a thank you for her recent promotion.

Not knowing much about the stuff I suggested we should go to Luka's and see what there was to see, and ask Tim , their "whiskey guy", his reccomendations.

Well, you can't have someone give you an opinion on a drink without sampling some yourself, so Tim provided me with samples of the top 3 - Micheal Collins, Bushmills, and Jamisons. I really liked the Micheal Collins (blended) and since then have substituted a bottle of it now and then for my old favorite everyday drink , Chivas (12 year old).

Before this I did have much desire to drink the odd lot of stuff out there, as a few years back a friend went on and on about this "single malt" he had...which I found to be horrible...but as my appreciation and knowledge of wine has expanding, I think it opened up unused areas of my pallete and I found some of the stuff I did not care for 10 years ago to be somewhat appealing.

Hence the reason I started this thread, to learn what others liked and to become more familar with the brands available. It has been both entertaining and informative for me.

KM

Laphroaig 15 year old

Macallen

Balvenie 21 Port wood

Balvanie

Dalwhinnie 12

Talisker 10

Oban

17-year-old Ardbeg

Talisker

Glengoyne 17

--- Tullibardine---?

Lochnagar

Scapa.

Grants

Your commitment impresses me KM! - not only do you take it upon yourself to investigate this complex topic but you also create reports and make life so much simpler for the rest of us on the board. I can't help but say I'm impressed when I see someone so willing to take one for the team.

On behalf of the FJR forum team - I salute you! :D

PS - you reminded me of Ardbeg - another Islay whisky that I'd completely forgotten about. Nearly ten years ago I had a wee dram of the 16 year old and it was absolutely exquisite. I'd forgotten all about it till you added it to your sampling list above. I might just track some down this week.

Great minds think alike:

I drink Chevas when I can find it on sale, and switch from it to Bushmills in between. There is currently a bottle of Jameson on the shelf in their stead.

I found Michael Collins (the person) interesting, but Erskin Childers more so-- too bad they didn't name some booze after him too.

B)