ZX14 Dreaming

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah you're not too old. The ZX-14 will be easier to handle in virtually every way compared to the FJR; it's lighter, lower, less top-heavy, and alot more nimble. The ergos are alot different though and you'll have to give your body a chance to get used to the cramped legroom, and your neck and lower back probably won't be too happy at first. But IMO it really is the most comfortable full-blown sportbike on the road. I love my ZX-14, and hope to still be riding it 20 years from now (I'm 42 years young atm).
A fine addition to the bucket list. Do it.
I could not agree more. The ZX-14 is surprisingly comfortable. And I've yet to ride a bike that is smoother than this beast. It is easy to ride at sane speeds but if you desire a little taste of On My God Acceleration, it is just a slight twist of the throttle away. I love my FJR, but it feels quite slow and ponderous after coming off the 14. It's all relative, right? They've made some improvements to the '08 model, but there was truly nothing wrong with the earlier versions, IMHO. And there are a few '07's being blown out. A dealership in FL was selling them for $8599 (plus tax/tag/title). Oh, I'm 5'10 and go about 225 lbs with lots of mass in the upper torso, and have a 32" inseam - just for reference. I feel like I could tour for miles and miles on the ZX-14.

Cheers,

Joe

There's not much more gratifying and inspirational to me than seeing an older (than me) gent enjoying a sporting machine, be it motorcycle, car or or otherwise. Gives me hope for the (not too distant) future!
Next on my list: a Ducati 1098!
Aha! Told you!

Riding a sport bike causes me pain in the neck in about 45 minutes, so I'm sure I'd regret it.
But not during those 45 minutes, you wouldn't. ;)

I believe FJRForum member TurboDave is about 107 years old, and he rides a YZF-R1 on the track for hours at a time!

Warchild,

I believe, from lurking on a Busa forum, that you own a 08 Busa, although I could be mistaken.

After parting with my 03 FJR I spent a year with a 06 Speed Triple and now almost another year with a 07 M109R.

Talk about being all over the map! One thing I learned, for sure, and that is my feet need to be below me, not sticking out in front of me.

Currently looking, very preliminary, at a 08 Busa and ZX14. I am 6', 200 lbs. and 63 years old.

Any advice you, or anyone, can give me, concerning these two bikes would be appreciated.

As I stated earlier, I'm 56. I have no problem with my ZX-14. I'm 5'9+", 160 lbs. I added heli-risers.

The 'Busa and ZX14 are great bikes... they are what they are.

I'm having wayyyy to much fun with mine.... maybe to the point of selling the FJR... Maybe. While WC is resorting to LD stuff, I'm going with bling. I just took the bike into the shop to get the rearend lowered and extended 6" (Schnitz Racing and a Roaring Toyz kit). I've also added a bit of chrome here and there. :dribble:

It's all farkling $$$$$, but in a different way. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Too old? Not hardly. The way I see it... If you have the ability to safely control the beast, and desire it, then you're not too old.

Although you may get some strange looks from the younger crowd on occasion. Every once in awhile, I sure do! (But I could care less.) :D Last summer I pulled up to an Inspection Station on my Busa. Some young kids, maybe 16 years old saw me pull up and I watched their eyes instantly lock onto my bike. I took my helmet off and I heard one of them say, "Hey, wait... uh, you're old!" Me, smiling: Yep. (I'm 55). Of course the next question was, "Can I have it?" The off-spring of Generation-X... what can I say?

In any case, my recommendation is to just go do it! Sooner or later, all of us will face a day where we "can't" [fill in the blank]. When that time comes I sure don't want to look back wondering why I didn't. Nike! :yahoo:

SR-71

^ Out freaking standing the stupid punks that is. I would have told them they could have a swift kick in the ass. The gall of the give me generation.

Cool for you guys still riding them. I'm 44 and really have no desire to ride something with those ergonomics. My ZRX 1200 is bad enough at times. I know I'm turning into a candy ass already HAHA!!!!

^ Out freaking standing the stupid punks that is. I would have told them they could have a swift kick in the ass. The gall of the give me generation.
If only it was followed up with a "Get off my lawn" or a mention of a "young whippersnapper"...

RE: Original post - I say go for it. You only live once (unless you're Sean Connery). At worst you'll just have to sell it when you can no longer ride it.

... Can I have it :D ?

Foxhuntr I am 65 and the proud owner of an 06 ZX-14. As to are you to old at 65 for a ZX-14 the answer is no as long as you respect it. Things happen a lot faster on a 14 than on a FJR-1300 when you really lean on the throttle. I don't ride it as often as the FJR-1300 but when I want an adrenalin rush theres nothing like it.

Foxhuntr I am 65 and the proud owner of an 06 ZX-14. As to are you to old at 65 for a ZX-14 the answer is no as long as you respect it. Things happen a lot faster on a 14 than on a FJR-1300 when you really lean on the throttle. I don't ride it as often as the FJR-1300 but when I want an adrenalin rush theres nothing like it.
I am nearly 67 young and I understand your wanting a sport bike. I have an YZF R1 and I understand the rushing feeling while riding the bike at 3 digit plus mph. I am now doing track riding only on the bike. I do so as I feel a lot more safe on the track than on these crowded roads here in southern CA. I ride my own ride related to speed and the course and know that I will probably be able to ride the bike to its ultimate capability.

My hat is off to you for enjoying the ZX-14. IMHO, life is too short not to live it to the fullest. :p

I guess a deal depends on what you want out of the deal. :unsure:
I got pretty much what anyone can get from any dealer. I probably paid a bit more... but I get exemplary dealer service from Aaron, Nathan, Ben and the bunch.

One small example: I lost a bodywork fastener. They just found one, installed it and said "Go ride!".

They've installed several of my farkles for free. (yes, I did purchase the stuff from them, but still....).

Priority service. Not much, but nice.

Pickup me up or take me home. Not much, but nice.

Discount on most parts.

I guess it all depends.
So one would expect to pay msrp most everywhere here in the states?
Honda East in Toledo Ohio is as good a source as any for good pricing on any of the brands they sell (all 4 Japanese mfgs.). They have an internet sales person who gives very good service. I purchased one of the first 06 ZX-14's when they were selling for over MSRP for $10,250.00 in June 2006. A friend of mine recently purchased an 08 ZX-14 from them for $10,100.00. You should be able to get an 08 FJR-1300 for $12,000 (the price he quoted to me 8 weeks ago) from Scott so they're pricing is well under MSRP. These are delivered prices for out of state buyers and include everything but you're license & state tax when you get home.

I love my ZX14.

I love my ZX14.

I love my ZX14.

Okay, that's enough. :yahoo:

Since my Nolan helmet is designed more for the touring crowd, I've looked into several helmets that would work when I'm on the ZX14. I was deadset on getting the new Akuma Doragon, however they seem to be a company promising one thing and never delivering anything, so........... I bought one of these!

2008_Bell_Star_Viper_Helmet_Viper.jpg

As the bunny would say, "vewy vewy nice!" :p

You're all making it sound way too good! Now I need to look at my retirement plan one more time..........................
Why not consider the new Concours??? It's a ZX14 with better low to midrange grunt, no chain to hassle with, quick dismount luggage & and a lot more comfy to boot!!!

Then you've got the best of both worlds!

Go for it!!!

:aarambo:

You're all making it sound way too good! Now I need to look at my retirement plan one more time..........................
Why not consider the new Concours??? It's a ZX14 with better low to midrange grunt, no chain to hassle with, quick dismount luggage & and a lot more comfy to boot!!!

Go for it!!!

I have owned a boatload of Kawasakis (18 out of 43 bikes over 45 years of riding) and one Yamaha (a 2005 FJR). I also currently own a 2006 ZX-14 which I love. When it came time to decide on a replacement for the 2005 FJR this weekend I chose a 2008 FJR. I have ridden both and although the Concours has a better (more power & smoother) engine in stock form the rest of the bike as a package doesn't measure up to the 08 FJR in my opinion. The concours just doesn't feel as high quality as the Yamaha and I don't like the looks with the bags off which is the way I ride the bike when not taking trips.

You are NOT too old. I'm 62, and my sons gave me a ZX-14 for Father's Day. It's an amazing machine. I find it no less comfortable than a regular street bike. It's a large sportbike, so you don't feel like a pretzel. We usually stop for a stretch every so often when we ride, anyway.

I'm still breaking it in, but loving it so far.

GO FOR IT!

Go for it!!!

The ZX14 competes in it's nich much better (IMO) than the C14 does, after all the engine was designed for it. Serious concessions and redesign had to be make to adapt it to an ST format and I think they still came up soft in the low end, especially 2up and loaded in the mountains. The Kaw did, however, make me realize how much I valued the smoothness and sent me on a quest to improve that on the FJR. I was very pleased with the improvement that can be made in this area. Not quite as buttery as my ST1300 was but close enough to now be a complete non issue.