Grip Puppies...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
I'm looking for something to ease the rigor mortis in my hands that occurs after an hour or so of riding the Feej. Some here have stated Grip Puppies are the cat's meow. I'm interested in hearing what others have experienced. And what size fits the OEM grips? Who has 'em cheap? Etc.

And would you recommend something else?

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for something to ease the rigor mortis in my hands that occurs after an hour or so of riding the Feej. Some here have stated Grip Puppies are the cat's meow. I'm interested in hearing what others have experienced. And what size fits the OEM grips? Who has 'em cheap? Etc.
Cheers,

W2
Small.

Google is your friend.

Cheers,

W2
Large.

Google is your friend.
Love that plate. Mine would say 3 KIDS and it would be mounted on a '72 Honda civic.

Thanks for the grin,

W2

The best I've found so far. Probably not so great in wet country though. It helps to have large hands too.

I put a set on when I first bought the bike. I thought I liked them, but I was wrong. <_< I wore them out going to NAFO last year and tore them off. I had alot better control and feel without them. I wouldn't go back to them because they are too soft and didn't work well when wet . I would look at different type grips instead. I had a set on my old ST1100 that were fatter in the middle then taperd to the edges, thet worked really well, but I don't know who made them or where to get them.

I like the size of the stock grips for about 15 minutes.. after that.. my hands start cramping up. I don't have big hands, but I've ALWAYS gripped the bars to tight, despite conciously loosening my grip.

Grip puppies really extend that time before cramps set in.

I use the small grip puppies as recommended by California Sport Touring. Not sure if the large cruiser size would be a tight fit, never tried them??? I wonder if they stay put?

Used them on my Honda ST for many thousands of miles too. I change them once a year since they do compress and wear out. They will suck up a bit of water when its wet out. doesn't bother me though. They dry out quick enough, I have tried the aftermarket grips and find that the puppies work better for me on a skinny road bike grip.

I use the small grip puppies as recommended by California Sport Touring. Not sure if the large cruiser size would be a tight fit, never tried them??? I wonder if they stay put?
+1 on the small size, and Cal Sport Touring.

When I first put them on it felt weird. My hands aren't that big, and it felt like I was holding a beer can in my hand at first. Once I got used to them, I found that I liked them more, my hands don't cramp up, and there's less noticeable buzz in the grips. And the heated grips still heat. And the Throttlemeister and Crampbuster still fit/work.

Easy install (I used Ru-glyde tire lube from NAPA (since I was spooning on a rear tire the same day I put the Grip Puppies on) and it is the cat's ass), inexpensive and easy to get rid of if and when I decide I don't like 'em. Haven't used 'em wet yet, but I suspect that turning on the heater will dry them out pretty quick.

Hope this helps,

Griff

I was putting them on the FJR in the summer, and taking them off in the winter. Then I got lazy and didn't bother to put them on anymore. They block some of the heat from my heated grips, and retain water. BUT They are very comphy on the hands. The XS doesn't have heated grips, and has a set of grips very similar to the Grip Puppys, and I like em enough that they won't come off.

small size from cal sport touring fit well. cheap enough to try! I put them on for a 1000 mile trip and really enjoyed the comfort, although I must say, the throttlemeister I put on at the same time really helped! Between the heavy bar ends and the softer foam, the grip area has really smoothed out! Try em!

Small size from California Sport Touring as well.

Love 'em - no problems with rain or feel, but I don't push the bike much into the SPORT side of riding.

Have 'em and LOVE 'em!!! (Thanks again Fairlaner for the delivery! :D )

+another on small size from Cal Sport Touring

Used some of Canucklehead-biker's Ru-Glyde to install and they slide on in seconds. Can't comment on how well they wear, but at the price, they can be replaced regularily if required. I highly recommend giving them a try.

Where have I been since 1984... Is that just a new name for Grab-Ons? Looks like the same thing.

Idunno. Bunch of my friends had them way back then andd swore by them. I always liked the more positive feel of a harder grip. Only time in my life I ever had sore hands (not really sore... more numb from buzzing) on a bike was a couple weeks back, after a day on the track, all in 3rd gear.

peronal preference, I guess. (but those ARE the same thing as grab-ons, right?)

+1 on the small size, and Cal Sport Touring.

When I first put them on it felt weird. My hands aren't that big, and it felt like I was holding a beer can in my hand at first. Once I got used to them, I found that I liked them more, my hands don't cramp up, and there's less noticeable buzz in the grips. And the heated grips still heat. And the Throttlemeister and Crampbuster still fit/work.

Easy install (I used Ru-glyde tire lube from NAPA (since I was spooning on a rear tire the same day I put the Grip Puppies on) and it is the cat's ass), inexpensive and easy to get rid of if and when I decide I don't like 'em. Haven't used 'em wet yet, but I suspect that turning on the heater will dry them out pretty quick.

Hope this helps,

Griff
Ditto what he said.

My first pair lasted about 1.5 years before the throttle side started splitting. They're cheap enough to replace.

Unlike others, I have no problem with them in the rain and I ride most of the year in rain (Seattle is known for the rain!).

Also, if you have an air compressor they can be easily installed using a air nozzle. I just get them started on the grip, stick the air nozzle into the open end, squeeze the open end around the nozzle and then push on while blasting the air. You got to get the timing just right on pushing and blasting or the grip will pop off. Final positioning is accomplished by sticking the air nozzle between the grip puppy and the stock grip and blasting air while shoving the grip into position. No lube or glue required.