Grip Puppies...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love mine...put `em on right over existing grips about a month after getting my FJR.

Don't remember the size, but CalSci will tell ya which to get.

The effect I think is 2-fold: 1) foam padding to dampen vibration, and 2) increased grip diameter so your hand isn't as clamped down as it would be around the smaller diameter grip.

Get a set, as others have said they're cheap!!

Mine came with them already installed. I thought I liked them, until I took them off. I like it better without, though I want to try the BMW comfort grips (or whatever they're called). They're cheap enough, buy a set and try them out.

Had a pair (from Cal Sport Touring) and liked them much better than stock grips. I then switched to BMW sport grips (search...there's lots of info on them here) and I like those even better.

Gripe on Grips.

When the dinosaurs ruled the earth you could get these really great grips, that were oval in profile, sometime called titty grips.

They were made in Italy or Germany, were air filled for softness, and had various texured surfaces on them for traction.

Now the only ones I can get are cheap, ugly, and not very effective made by a no name outfit that obviously dosen't give a damn.

So, I wrapped cushioned bicycle handlebar tape over my stock grips creating the large oval I like.

Problem is I have to replace the electrical tape that secures these every few thousand miles.

I think I'm going to try covering it in huge heat shrink tubing, that might do the trick.

Anyone know where a guy can get a good set of titty grips?

It would be great if they were hollow so you didn't have to cut the ends off for the bar end weights.

I think their great. I have big hands and the stock grips are too small in Dia for me. The Grip Puppys are perfect. Rain hasn't been a problem (but everyone know it doesn't rain in Ca.. ya RIGHT!!!!) And the heated grips work fine with them. I took the real cheap method of installing them. A little dish soap and water. and they slide right on.

I had them for 15K and they are definitely better than stock. However, I moved to the BMW sport grips and absolutely love them. I think I have a pair of grip puppies around somewhere. If I can find them, they are yours for shipping.

Regards,

Davy

The PO had put the BMW sport grips on my '06. I didn't like them at all. Put the factory heated grips on and was wondering how much the grip puppies reduced their effectiveness.

The PO had put the BMW sport grips on my '06. I didn't like them at all. Put the factory heated grips on and was wondering how much the grip puppies reduced their effectiveness.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I don't notice any difference in the effectiveness of the heated grips with the Grip Puppies on.

Ok... we now return to our regular scheduled programming, already in progress.

Griff

I had them on for a while then took them off. (Can't remember why) I liked them, but I remember wishing they were just a little smaller in diameter.

GP

Gripe on Grips.
When the dinosaurs ruled the earth you could get these really great grips, that were oval in profile, sometime called titty grips.

They were made in Italy or Germany, were air filled for softness, and had various texured surfaces on them for traction.

Now the only ones I can get are cheap, ugly, and not very effective made by a no name outfit that obviously dosen't give a damn.

So, I wrapped cushioned bicycle handlebar tape over my stock grips creating the large oval I like.

Problem is I have to replace the electrical tape that secures these every few thousand miles.

I think I'm going to try covering it in huge heat shrink tubing, that might do the trick.

It would be great if they were hollow so you didn't have to cut the ends off for the bar end weights.

for a minute there I thought you were talking about rubbers. IE ribbed for her pleasure.

I can't help you on the grips, but I own a pair of "titty" gloves. You know - the ones with gel in the palm (the same gel they use for breast implants). I can't explain it, but I get strangly arroused whenever I put those gloves on. :rolleyes:

Do they make an Iso grip (Kuryaken) for the FJR. I have had them on several bikes, and I think they are great. I just bought my FJ and I gotta say, the stock grips suck. My buddy has the grip puppies on his Busa, and says they are great.

I rode the first 1,300 miles on my '09 with the stock grips. I added the grip puppies before a long trip as I was getting some wrist pain. A 1,700 mile trip and no pain, so I left them on. Now I have approx 5,000 miles and I still like them. They do feel a little large, but way better then stock. For less then $10.00 it is definitely worth trying.

I rode the first 1,300 miles on my '09 with the stock grips. I added the grip puppies before a long trip as I was getting some wrist pain. A 1,700 mile trip and no pain, so I left them on. Now I have approx 5,000 miles and I still like them. They do feel a little large, but way better then stock. For less then $10.00 it is definitely worth trying.

I use the grip puppies combined with a "throttle rocker" (best $8 I ever spent) and I find them great...no need for cruise or anything else to provide relief

I found the larger diameter is the key to not gripping too tight and tensing up various muscles. My FJR now has its heated grips wrapped with a baseball bat grip I got at a sports store. Durable rubber, thin foam backing and self adhesive. Huge difference, but looks a bit odd (who cares). That thick rubber works just fine with the heaters on.

For non-heaters, CaSport Touring also sells Sunline grips, larger and tapered. You will have to find a way to drill them to use bar ends, or just cut the ends off (I did this on my V65 Magna). I personally prefer these over the BMW style.

Perhaps better than Grip Puppies (durable and washable) are NOJ 210 overgrips. They attach with velcro. Parts Unlimited has them, from your local bike shop.... mine are coming from here https://www.discounthondaparts.com/eshoppro..._GRIP_WRAPS.htm

The Grab-Ons are a complete replacement grip, made of firm foam, and might work well for those without heated grips.

Also, if you haven't backed off the throttle return spring, I highly recommend it.