Grip Puppies...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Rich said:
I took an Exacto knife and cut off the grip puppies and the factory Yamaha grips.
Well, I could have done this too, I guess. I just didn't want to destroy them in my search for "the better solution." I want to be able to get back to the baseline if something ends up being worse. If the puppies don't do it, this will be the next step.

Thanks,

W2

Well, I put them on yesterday and the initial assessment is...

Hmmm. Not quite what I expected. These will take some getting used to. Don't like the squishiness too much either. Want big hands for these to be comfortable. I'll give them a few weeks then post a proper take.

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
I put grip puppies on before going to NAFO. They were back off before I got home. Feels like I'm trying to hold onto a beer can because they seem so large.

They didn't help my numb hand issue.

What did help my numb hand a lot was adjusting my suspension, per HaulinAshe's thread... even though I have aftermarket springs front and back.

Anyway, the "comfort" of the gp's was not outweighed by the foreign sense of "largeness" of the grips. I also felt "insecure" about whether or not they would turn.

If I didn't have factory heated grips, I'd probably change to the famed BMW grip.

Well, I put them on yesterday and the initial assessment is...
Hmmm. Not quite what I expected.
Yeah.

I've had mine on now for a couple of weeks and my assessment: Neyh. [SIZE=8pt]I think Bugs Bunny said that originally [/SIZE]

They are OK, I do like the larger grip and they grab my gloves better so

I can relax my death grip a bit, but I have found that they don't help my

right hand numbness very much. That's mostly my non Yoda riding and

bar positioning.

Grip puppies suck...there not a good feeling at all...I felt like I didn't have as much control...way to soft and big...I even tried cutting them in half to just have a fatter area in the middle like the bmw grips...nah...they are now used to stuff in the little glove box thing a ma jig to stop my phone and other things from rattling around...what a waste of money...if you think they will be to big/fat for you...they probably will be...

I found the larger diameter is the key to not gripping too tight and tensing up various muscles. My FJR now has its heated grips wrapped with a baseball bat grip I got at a sports store. Durable rubber, thin foam backing and self adhesive. Huge difference, but looks a bit odd (who cares). That thick rubber works just fine with the heaters on.
For non-heaters, CaSport Touring also sells Sunline grips, larger and tapered. You will have to find a way to drill them to use bar ends, or just cut the ends off (I did this on my V65 Magna). I personally prefer these over the BMW style.

Perhaps better than Grip Puppies (durable and washable) are NOJ 210 overgrips. They attach with velcro. Parts Unlimited has them, from your local bike shop.... mine are coming from here https://www.discounthondaparts.com/eshoppro..._GRIP_WRAPS.htm

The Grab-Ons are a complete replacement grip, made of firm foam, and might work well for those without heated grips.

Also, if you haven't backed off the throttle return spring, I highly recommend it.
Update on my comment about NOJ 210 overgrips. These are cloth covered, and way too mushy. The larger size was OK, but the foam is too soft. Also, since I have heated grips, the heat makes them expand and they slip. Perhaps hairspray would help on the inside, but they are slipping just in the hot weather. I will try Grip Puppies, since I did see a set on an ST1300 that had lasted a long time. They were much firmer, and have the larger diameter that I was looking for. But for now, my baseball grip is going back on for a big trip I have next week.

Oh yes, the NOJ's insulate the grip heaters so the heat does not transfer for quite a long time, nor do you get the full heat. Normally the Yammy heaters will almost burn you...... I wasn't feeling half the heat even cranked right up.

I have grip puppies and they improve somewhat. Biggest improvement I did was the throttle return spring, and installing a throttle lock. For $10.00 you can't beat the grip puppies.

Buck 05 FJR

Dls.TX

I have had them on about a month or two now. Didn't like them at first, but now I'm getting used to them I like them more and more. Easy install, too.

Heated grips still radiate heat just fine with the grip puppies on.

Just wait till you try to ride without the grip puppies once your used to them.

Feels like your holding a pencil in each hand.

Mine are taking the slow road to boston after being backordered, but I did put the neoprene grips on and so far I love them ... will have to wait to see if the puppies are better/worse. Less vibration, but more important the grips are bigger than a soda straw now so my XXL hands aren't numb after five minutes

I've recently upgraded my grips to Hotgrips, and now I don't need Grip Puppies anymore. The Hotgrips are much larger in diameter vs the OEM one's.

Buy some racketball grip tape- soft and cushiny cheap too

I have very small hands, the grip puppies were a disaster for me.

I could not accept the reduction in control for sport riding. Well, actually for any riding, but that is just me- a control freak.

It seems that they are helpful for people with medium to large hands.