2006 Charging Output from Service Manual

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, SkooterG...

Appreciate the heads-up on TWN. Will keep it in consideration when posting and handling his replies.

I'm with BugR on the matter of the AE's electrical draw. The AE's electric clutch servo motor would definitely have to be one that consumed some watts given the torque it would have to produce to actuate the clutch, and more importantly, the precision it would have to maintain in releasing it correctly and with accuracy, time and time again. And, as he says, all at low speed primarily. It also has extra sensors to keep powered up, a negligible LED shift light to flash a lot with some riders, electric grips in cold weather when it's toughest on a battery to stay charged, more computer horsepower and CPU cycles to thrash around, etc., etc., etc.

Again, like BugR pointed out... In essence, Yamaha HAD to increase the charging capacity of the AE just to stay even, and so kept quiet about it. And since primarily dealers and only more fanatical enthusiast owners would ever even see the factory service manual that showed the alternator output specs (and even some of those owners who bought the service manual probably wouldn't comb through the specificatios sections like ex-mechanic/ex-motorcycle dealers like me do... :blink: ) who wouold really know? Sure, it would probably come out in the press sooner or later, or on one of these forums like it has, but let's face it, people who are as fanatical about their motorcycles like we all are, where we ride 'em, work on 'em, farkle 'em to death, etc., are in a pretty small minority relative to the rest of the motorcycle marketplace.

Actually, when you think the whole thing through Yamaha's decision to not blab about the increased charging capacity makes perfect sense.

And makes me even more glad I didn't buy an AE! :D

Now my radar detector, Garmin 2730, etc. can all live happily ever after once they're installed.

Thanks!

Dallara

Hey Dallara,

Can you post the part numbers of the stator cover and gasket?

I would like to know if the stator cover is the same, if not and the gasket is the same the cover should swap right on.

It still sucks. Mine is still an '05. What is going to power my sub-woofers?
Here you go Scab....

dynamo-sm.jpg
Do they have that in billet alluminum?
I'm waiting for skyway's custom mount for it. :D

Ask and ye shall receive, Rogue... :D

Right off the box and bag:

3P6-15411-00 Cover, Crankcase (T051205A)

5JW-15451-10 Gasket, Crankcase Cover (K051209A)

Since a 2006 is all I've owned I have no idea if those are the same as previous year models or not. But I also don't know if they're the right ones since I haven't gotten a chance to put 'em on yet... I decided to go and ride yesterday afternoon rather than wrench! :yahoo:

Will probably get to swapping out parts this evening or tomorrow evening, depending on how work goes, and then I can get pics of the stator, too.

Hope this helps!

Dallara

3P6-15411-00 Cover, Crankcase (T051205A)
5JW-15451-10 Gasket, Crankcase Cover (K051209A)
5JW-15411-00-00 COVER, CRANKCASE 1

5JW-15451-00-00 GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 1

Different PART NUMBERS for the gasket and cover. Those are stats from the Yammy website for my '04.

You never know, though... the parts still might be interchangeable. How about the crank case? Wonder if IT is any different?

Last edited by a moderator:
04' part #'s

Cover-5JW-15411-00-00

Gasket-5JW-15451-00-00

:angry2:

I see I'm too slow looking them up.

The starter clutch and starter gear attach to the rotor, need to be sure these haven't changed also.

Well, if it is true, that sucks arse big-time. Why? Cause mine is an '05.
The route I'm looking at for my '05 is the Electrex stator and the '06 rectifer (assuming that all this is real).

It was the longterm reliability of the rectifer which had me most concerned about upping the output.

Chris

I am game,. ..How do you test it? I have an 06. I have lots o tools but little knowledge in the lightening bolt dept.
'Fencer, stop by, I've got the test equipment here in Manchester, NH.

Equipment list

.01 ohm shunt resistor in series with the negative battery lead

4 ½ digit DMM to read shunt

1k watt variable load, preferably water or forced air cooled

4 channel O'scope to monitor the 3 phase AC output of the stator

DMM to monitor output of regulator/rectifier

throttle lock

1 thermocouple to measure engine ambient temp

1 thermocouple to measure stator temp

1 thermocouple to measure regulator/rectifier temp

1 thermocouple to measure ambient air temp

Establish electrical and mechanical operating profile at which to take measurements

1.0 k rpm - low load

1.0 k rpm - high load

collect all measurements

3.0 k rpm - low/high load

collect all measurements

>5k rpm - low/high load

collect all measurements

extended run - low rpm high load

extended run - 5k rpm high load

collect all measurements and map temp and voltage profiles at stator and R/R over time

Analysis

Shut down, beverage of choice, Excel time. This isn't a fully comprehensive test but it does cover the basics. Resistance and magnetics change with temp, wire length and gauge matters, electrical noise and filtering, rate of change between load vs rpm, etc round out the picture.

Whaaaaa? You mean I cant stick my OHM meter from the Shack up the tailpipe and get a good result? :blink:

Nah, TWN... You ain't got no 2006 paper manual, and we both know that, right.
And an even bigger *NAH* to you tryin' to hang Groo up in your wad of yarn, Ol' One Bullet. He suggested it might be typographical error, as did some others... But he never claimed it was a "bootlegged" fraudulent manual sourced from some "Chinese" shit vendor. Maybe you deal with those types, but I don't.

Skippy... Junior... Sport... Kiddo... Each used in a condescending turn. Yep, that's a way to welcome new members! Call 'em a con artist, and then a bit of condescension thrown in... That's the ticket!

There's one on every board... :lazy:

And man, oh man, Fifer... Ya' got's me just a shaking in my boots a so hard mine's heels is a clackety-clacking with that talk about Yamaha Cypress! Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-babeeeee, I'sa be's a soooooooooooooooo scared. Does that kind of crap work for you often?

Why would I care one nano-whit if Yamaha Cypress saw any one of my posts? Don't tell me... There gonna' send out the "Manual Police", right?

Geez... :drag:

Dallara

-Un30-

Okay. Let's get it straight, Mr. There's One On Every Board (indeed, there is, isn't there?). 1st of all, I merely concurred with Groo - I ain't pushing blame on him, but I do think that Groo is a brilliant and insightful genius, known to be right in his theories 100% of the time. B, Skooter's almost right, but not quite... The shock of seeing him jerking off Art's, um, fork has left me with serious psychological problems that even Dr. Phil can't cure (and poor Art hasn't recovered yet, either!). III, you do know what smilies are for, right? No? Well, here's a hint: Google. Part quatro, you're a selfish one, ain't you? Do you give a rat's ass about your dealer friend? I don't think Cypress will look too kindly on a dealer handing out his password to customers so that they can download manuals for free. That was the point of that comment, but obviously, you didn't think about that nor do you give a shit. If you've secured an unpaid copy of a manual that Yamaha has copyrighted and charges for, then your copy is indeed, bootlegged. They only way you could legally obtain it for free would be if Yamaha itself, gave it to you or if a previously purchased manual were given to you in it's original form. But, that's not the case, is it? Next, you're are correct about one thing though, I don't have an '06 manual. I have one for the previous years, purchased from my dealer, oh he 'who doesn't deal with those types.'

Okay, I'm done with you, Ali Baba. Have a nice day. ;)

-30-

Ahhhh, I remember when I was a noob....(insert flashback here

Okay. Let's get it straight, Mr. There's One On Every Board (indeed, there is, isn't there?). 1st of all, I merely concurred with Groo - I ain't pushing blame on him, but I do think that Groo is a brilliant and insightful genius, known to be right in his theories 100% of the time. B, Skooter's almost right, but not quite... The shock of seeing him jerking off Art's, um, fork has left me with serious psychological problems that even Dr. Phil can't cure (and poor Art hasn't recovered yet, either!). III, you do know what smilies are for, right? No? Well, here's a hint: Google. Part quatro, you're a selfish one, ain't you? Do you give a rat's ass about your dealer friend? I don't think Cypress will look too kindly on a dealer handing out his password to customers so that they can download manuals for free. That was the point of that comment, but obviously, you didn't think about that nor do you give a shit. If you've secured an unpaid copy of a manual that Yamaha has copyrighted and charges for, then your copy is indeed, bootlegged. They only way you could legally obtain it for free would be if Yamaha itself, gave it to you or if a previously purchased manual were given to you in it's original form. But, that's not the case, is it? Next, you're are correct about one thing though, I don't have an '06 manual. I have one for the previous years, purchased from my dealer, oh he 'who doesn't deal with those types.'
Okay, I'm done with you, Ali Baba. Have a nice day. ;)

-30-

Sport... Skippy... Junior... Kiddo... and now Ali Baba. I can't wait to see what you come up with next, TWN. You were really picked on as a kid, right?

Hard for you to get anything straight, since you have literally none of the facts of the case. But apparently that doesn't keep you from putting your foot squarely down your throat for all to see. Then, of course, toejam cheese may be part of your regular diet... :eek:inksmiley:

Now, let's REALLY get some things straight, shall we?

1.) Evidently there is "one on every board", and from the posts in this thread, you're it. Be proud of it. Probably the only title you'll ever own...

2.) Groo suggested there may be a typo in the manual, period. Nothing more. He made no assertions or allegations that the pages I put up might be fraudulent or obtained from less than reliable sources. Only YOU did that, and suggested that the source of the manual might be questionable.

3.) From what I can see Mr. SkooterG is exactly right. Absolutely spot on in his analysis of one TWN. If you have psychological problems that need addressing, then by all means, go get some therapy. One would think you would want to rather than parade those maladies around here in public. But then again, maybe you are just an attention addict and want folks to feel sorry for you... Who knows? :jerry:

4.) I most definitely know what smilies are for, how they're used, etc., but they lose a lot of their positive effect when they are followed by blatant condescension with remarks like Sport, Skippy, Junior, Kiddo, Ali Baba, etc., don't you think?

5.) Do I care about my dealer friend? Absolutely, positively, 100%, and without question. But see, this is where you go way wrong again, and have another big, heaping helping of your toes with shoe sauce... My dealer didn't give me his password. Not in any way, shape, or form. This is where you're reaching, and doing so only to try and extricate yourself from the deeper hole you are digging for yourself...

Here's a hint - When you're in waaaaaaaaaaay over your head in hole, stop digging.

I have NOT "secured an unpaid copy of a manual that Yamaha has copyrighted and charges for...", despite your once again erroneous and inaccurate allegations and assumptions. I have, actually and in fact, paid for it (and so has my dealer). That it is *my* copy of Yamaha's copyrighted material, that I paid for from my dealer, is why I have refused to produce or send any copies to any of the multitude from this board that have asked me to do so... Or haven't you bothered to read the thread? My dealer friend made it very clear to me that he did not want me making copies for anyone, and I gave him my word that I wouldn't, and I haven't. My conscience is not only clear, but I have not jeopardized my dealer's relationship with Yamaha in any way, despite your fondest wishes and prayers that I have somehow.

My 2006 manual copy is not "bootlegged" in any way, so get over it.

You keep nibbling on those little piggies and before you know it you'll be trying to shift your bike with ankle nubs...

6.) Last but not least, we are in complete agreement - I do have a factory service manual for 2006 USA Yamaha FJR-1300's, and you don't... In fact, I have two copies. The CD copy that sits in my computer at home right now, and a complete paper, bound one that will be here from Yamaha shortly.

So, we have established two things as absolute fact, TWN - A.) You are a condescending posting whore with a taste for his own heel sweat and sock drippings, and B.) you are completely, 100% wrong about literally every other point you have addressed in this thread. :clown2:

Cheers! :drinks:

Dallara

He he he..........

Quality entertainment this is. :rolleyes:

Go get him Dallara! Not only do you know how to push his buttons, but I think you got his number as well.

In fact, I am pretty close to proclaiming that twowheelnut be officially known as Dallara's bi-atch!

:D

Why don't we all just take down a notch here?

The signal in this thread (whether charging output is 590 watts) is all good stuff.

The noise of accusation, response, and rebuttal is getting tiresome. Everybody put on their responsible adult and citizen cap and knock off the flaming and keep that signal to noise ratio rightly aligned. If you need to, reread #5 of the Forum Guidelines

Thank you.

THE MANAGEMENT

Why don't we all just take down a notch here?
The signal in this thread (whether charging output is 590 watts) is all good stuff.

The noise of accusation, response, and rebuttal is getting tiresome. Everybody put on their responsible adult and citizen cap and knock off the flaming and keep that signal to noise ratio rightly aligned. If you need to, reread #5 of the Forum Guidelines

Thank you.

THE MANAGEMENT

But Iggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggyyyyyyyyyyy...............................................

It was just getting fun around here. :yahoo:

THE "BAD" MANAGEMENT :lol:

Oh, don't worry...
I'm not going to pick up my ball and go anywhere. Not a chance. Just might not be so quick to share information in the future... rhubarbsauce or whatever, Sport.

And I have pretty good sources of information, too... And ones I know to be reliable because I have been dealing with them in and out of the motorcycle business since the 1970's, Sport. But hey, believe whatever you like. I got the manual.

Thanks!

Dallara
:yahoo:

I hope you know it's all in fun here, some of the post bothered me in the beginning, but what else do they have to do, there not riding so there here entertaining themselves.

But Iggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggyyyyyyyyyyy...............................................
It was just getting fun around here. :yahoo:

THE "BAD" MANAGEMENT :lol:
Bad Maverick! You're not supposed to leave your wingman!

.....avatar adjusted accordingly.

Sincerely,

Goose

TWN,

I luv ya brother... but this...

I do think that Groo is a brilliant and insightful genius, known to be right in his theories 100% of the time.

is in the unforgetable words of our own benevolent dictator... "as fucked up as a soup sandwich"... :rofl:

For you board admin's...

I will endeavor to turn the gain down a few notches in the interest of domestic tranquility. I certainly don't want to incur any ire from the powers that be here. I honestly make an effort to only respond in kind.

As I honestly believe we have established beyond all doubt that I have, in my possession, an accurate and correct copy of Yamaha's service manual for 2006 FJR's. it is apparent no further exchange with TWN and myself is necessary since his allegations are groundless and incorrect.

I will admit to enjoyment when toasting a marshmellow, but once they're burnt black on the outside and gone all drippy and gooey on the inside, what's the point, right? Might as well toss it in the dirt for the ants.

That said, I do imagine that "Groo is a brilliant and insightful genius..."

After all, he is a Texan. :cowboy:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dallara

So how come an '06 owner hasn't just measured the output?

Equipment list.01 ohm shunt resistor in series with the negative battery lead

4 ½ digit DMM to read shunt

1k watt variable load, preferably water or forced air cooled

4 channel O'scope to monitor the 3 phase AC output of the stator

DMM to monitor output of regulator/rectifier

throttle lock

1 thermocouple to measure engine ambient temp

1 thermocouple to measure stator temp

1 thermocouple to measure regulator/rectifier temp

1 thermocouple to measure ambient air temp

Establish electrical and mechanical operating profile at which to take measurements

1.0 k rpm - low load

1.0 k rpm - high load

collect all measurements

3.0 k rpm - low/high load

collect all measurements

>5k rpm - low/high load

collect all measurements

extended run - low rpm high load

extended run - 5k rpm high load

collect all measurements and map temp and voltage profiles at stator and R/R over time

Analysis

Shut down, beverage of choice, Excel time. This isn't a fully comprehensive test but it does cover the basics. Resistance and magnetics change with temp, wire length and gauge matters, electrical noise and filtering, rate of change between load vs rpm, etc round out the picture.
Oh :dribble:

Ok, this conversation is a lot more fun, carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.