2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we know for sure that this little yellow/amber light is indeed a SHIFT light?

EDIT: Nevermind...I see the text on the display now. Maybe I was blinded by the light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get why everyone is up in arms about this. Yamaha has certainly been working on this technology for quite some time and have been looking for the right platform to use it. And they'll see how it is received before applying the technology to other bikes.

BTW - I don't have the slightest bit of interest in getting this, but, obviously, some people do so why not let them have their fun?

For the life of me, I can't understand all the bitching and griping about this. Do all of the '06s have shift lights? No (unless I missed that in the specs). Do all of the '06s have clutchless shifting? No. Do you have to get this? No. If you don't like it, don't get it and save $1500. It's not like the ABS or linked brakes that you get whether you like it or not.

What's the big deal? If you don't want it, don't buy it.

I won't be getting one of these but I have a friend who was seriously injured in a bike crash and her left ankle is fused. She still wants to ride and this electronic shift thingy looks like just the trick.

Well, I've given this some thought since my "bitch..bitch..bitch" post.

The "purists" among you are bemoaning Yamaha's taking the FJR in a direction away from what some percieve as a "real" motorcycle.

C'mon, folks.

You guys are bitching 'cause Yamaha is "diluting" the true motorcycling nature of a 600 pound, shaft-driven, water-cooled, plastic wrapped motorcycle with adjustable windshield and standard luggage! Jesus in a Jeep! If the 'Wing is a 2 wheeled Accord, then the Feejer is a two wheeled RSX.

A bigger alternator -- why didn't we get one? So you could turn on your lighted makeup mirrors without turning off your electric vagina warmers?

Give me a break!

Don't get me wrong...I love my FJR. I've only had it two weeks and have already added 3500 miles to the odo...but I didn't spend 10 months shopping and comparing bikes to decide on the FJR because it was some "purist" vision of what a motorcycle is. That would be a mid-50's era Indian. I chose the FJR because it was a modern, comfortable, well equipped, well designed Sport Touring motorcycle loaded with modern amenities.

Do I wish I had waited for the 1300AE announcement before pulling the trigger on my '04? Part of me says yes. The same part of me that may trade for an '06 sometime next year. On the other hand, if I want a raw, visceral motorcycle experience, I'll park the Feejer, lube up the chain on my ZRX and go terrorize the neighborhood.

Oh, BD, Porsche (and VW) watercooled their motors because of EPA regs...the same ones that killed two-stroke bikes also killed air-cooled cars. Didn't have nothin' to do with "warped heads". What kind of horseshit answer was that? But regardless, Porsche built the 914, 944 and 928 before the EPA killed their air cooled boxers and the Poor-shuh Pansies cried foul.

And the electronic shift model comes in such a pretty color. I almost want one. Hey, my peeps wouldn't even notice the difference. Hmmmm...Nah, don't need no linked brakes yet.

Im glad that its yamaha making the jump to some more Innovations, as I have loved owning Yamaha products for years... Im very interested in seeing what they have done with the new machine, but I personally really like to Feather that clutch, drop a gear or two and run those RPM's up and pop that clutch to get my ass out of a bind..

Or into some fun.... How the hell you gunna do that with no clutch... I need that instant control, maybe some people don't... Maybe some people drive more conservatively then I do.... hehhehehe

But I will tell you this... Looking at the auto shifter mounted on the side of the tranny...

I reminds me of that Honda ATV... if your rpms aren't in the right range you CAN'T shift down... and there is quite a pause for shifting as the rpm's have to be just right for that shifter to work right... That is just not for me.. I guess thats why I have a 660 Raptor ATV for me (INSANE), and a Honda Recon for my son, until he's a bit older to handle a bigger machine...

I guess Im one of those INSTANT gratification kind of people...

.............................. Gear I want When I want it................

I think I've figured out why this has me pissing and moaning -

It looks to me like Yamaha is sneaking this platform away to the blue hair set, and away from the "maybe-do-a-track-day-on-it" set. That makes me part of the "not-intereested-in-it" set. :D

I could be wrong.

Oh, I have geriatric shift on an ATV as well. Worst performing, least reliable system on any Honda I've ever experienced. First time ATV riders would even have an easier time with the manual shift. Maybe that's helping to jade my opinion.

I'll shut up now. :bigeyes:

:)

I think we would all agree that Yamaha did NEARLY everything right on the FJR's up to this point (I know, I know, heat, tick, suspension, etc) or we wouldn't all be here (most of us current owners). So, given that Yamaha has already provided us with such a great machine, why do some of you seem to think that mama has suddenly lost touch with what makes a great bike? I'm willing to bet that all of the new features weren't just tossed together, but were subjected to tireless testing and redesigns. I say we're all going to be impressed by what Yamaha has put into the 06, be it the manual clutch version or the auto-clutch version. Let's just wait and see how they turn out.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled bitching.

BTW, who's going to organize the group buy for the 2006 FJRs? ;) :eek:

I think this shifter is headed for the R1 ultimately. The FJR makes a good test bed since it has relatively hight torque, and can accommodate the 17 lb increase. Later on, they'll shave off some pounds and put it on the R1, where the quicker shifts will drop a few tenths off the accelleration times. My guess is that 10 to 20% of the 2006's will go out the door with the button shifter.

Pepperell

Unless I'm very mistaken Yamaha is offering TWO FJR1300 models next year, an FJR1300A and an FJR1300AE.

No one is being forced to by the clutchless transmission unless they want to pony up the bucks and deal with it.

What good is a bunch of name calling and derision over some else's choice for a motorcycle? Most of these people are adults and can purchase whatever they like. I have no idea how that could have a negative impact on your life in the least.

Am I going to go out and trade my '05 in for one of these. No, I like to put lots of miles on my bikes and live with them long term as long as they aren't leaving me stranded.

But I do applaud Yamaha for their efforts in trying to improve the platform. These efforts rarely have the impact that they are thougt too in the long run, but I'm willing to reserve my judgement until the product is out in the market and is proving or disproving it's worth.

E fag topic - so sad

:alien:

First post here on fjrforum... I've been lurking to find out more about the feejer as it is a top contender for my wife's next bike.

From what I've read so far, I think the clutchless tranny is a GREAT idea, so long as the bike doesn't actually shift for you (not an automatic), and it shifts when you tell it to without delay.

I think this would be fantastic for my wife - who has begun to develop arthritis in her forarms and hands, making clutching rather unpleasant and painful after a while. Clutch pull is always one of her main criteria that she'll reject a bike for.

I thought part of growing up was to learn how to shift for yourself, as opposed to being shiftless.

Personally, I enjoy shifting "manually" except when the lupus that I have tweaks my finger joints ... and I get some arthritic-type after-effects from the movements.

But it doesn't happen all the time, which is good. If it did, the Electromoreboringo Shifting would be an attraction.

Also, with my current '05 "dinosaur shifting", I can easily tell when a regular change in oil results in smoother action.

Since so many members wrote about car automatic shifting ..... I'll mention that I've got a rare car, a 1989 BMW 535i, with a five-speed manual.

I love to shift for myself. Nyah. :bleh:

It seems to me that Yamaha could have spent the $$ they used for R+D on the electroshift on more worthwhile tweeks as we collectively have requested through real world riding. I too cannot recall one previous post of a member wanting an auto shifter. Might have it's place on a Goldwing or such, and most certainly for a handicapped person who wants to ride but can no longer shift a bike manually (have a friend exactly in this situation due to a terrible construction accident). Seems like Yamaha took a step to pussify the badboy of sport tourers or why I chose the FJR over the ST or Bimmer. Actually the Concours was my second choice.

I wish they had used the money on this Tip-Tronic to improve the alternator.

Honda built 2 clutchless bikes--the CB400A and the CB750A. Both were slow as dirt and sold fecklessly. MotoGuzzi had a GuzziMatic. Never seen one, so I guess it was a REALLY big seller! These were all automatics.

You'll never bump-start this bike with a flat battery!

Since Suzuki has the Burgman and Honda has the SilverWing, I suspect they won't be following Yamaha's lead, unless we are all wrong and it's a BIG seller.

I am so glad to see the majorityof folks over herre give these so called improvements a resounding no! Me too! I just dont see why they cant correct whatever the main problems might be...heat/airflow, surges..etc. and just let the bike be what it is! A great motorcycle for those who want comfort, performance and handling ! Again....not for me.... I dont want linked brakes. I dont want to ride a scooter. If I did think of all the cash I could save with a new Vespa! I guess when my I wear out my 'o5 I'll go to an R-1 or' Busa.

um, guys, they still have the regular A version with a clutch. Nobody is being forced to buy the E (and I think the DID address the heat/airflow issues in 06, didn't they?)

Kwitcher whinin', you ain't getting any sympathy from a ZZR1200 rider - my bike has been completely discontinued for the ZX14. :angry:

I think you are all nuts and will be proven wrong.

The E-shift is a performance improver. It will shift quicker/smoother than any human can do on a consistent basis. Think Ferrari, not Dodge!

It's not an auto tranny for cryin out loud. It's the same old manual transmission with an automatic clutch. Wake up Yanktar! Peer through that haze of negativity of yours, and seek the truth! It shall set thee free! Comparing this to 70s, what, maybe early 80s designs. Oh, that's brilliant!

And you don't even have to get it for chrissakes!

Sheesh! What a bunch of poo-poos! Haven't even read a review and condemning it.

Good thing you are all not in charge. Otherwise we would all still be driving tractors.

Proof positive of one of the signs of the downfall of the good ol US of A. No innovation accepted here, move right along.

Ok, rant over. :agent:

SkooterG, don't stop your rants. You're the only one making a damn bit of sense.

Let the Luddites have their way and we'd all be driving Feejers with V-twin motors breathing through carburetors and carrying our travel stuff in leather saddlebags.

Oh, and don't forget the tassels streaming from our handgrips.

I think Liquidsilver nailed it by saying that Yamaha is gearing this bike toward the blue hair riders...

This E-shift system is in a lot of high-end sports cars and I can't for the life of me remember one review of these systems that didn't end with the reviewer saying something like, "Yes, the E-shift provides smooth, fast shifts, but at the end of the day I will always prefer to row my own."