2012 Breaks Interstate Camping Trip, May 18-20

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I likely won't be doing that route. That is quite a bit for this area. If you do "any" flower sniffing I'd think your day will be a minimum of 10 hours. That part of Rte 10 between Covel & Matoaka is awesome, though.
The route has all kinds of trimming possibilities. You could just hit 52 after Matoaka and head back from there. I will not miss 10!

I'm not implying that you not ride the route... I am just saying that I likely won't be riding it. & have you ridden the road down into Burkes Garden? Don't discount that one. That's a great road.

Bob,

So many great roads, so little time. I really think we need to meet at Hungary Mother State Park on Thursady May 17, so we can ride those roads on Friday :yahoo:

Words of caution from friend Spklbuk over on FJRiders...

Prepare for more twisties that look awesome on paper.
Per Jim (Spklbuk)

They are pretty damn good on the ground too. Beware part of the southern half of 80 along this stretch (north/west of Hayter's Gap) necks down to one and a half lanes with no painted lines and the local 4-wd pickemup drivers have no qualms about running you into the mountain or over the 300+ foot drops offs as you are sharing their road in the way tight for an FJR turns. Ride with due caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Words of caution from friend Spklbuk over on FJRiders...

Prepare for more twisties that look awesome on paper.
Per Jim (Spklbuk)

They are pretty damn good on the ground too. Beware part of the southern half of 80 along this stretch (north/west of Hayter's Gap) necks down to one and a half lanes with no painted lines and the local 4-wd pickemup drivers have no qualms about running you into the mountain or over the 300+ foot drops offs as you are sharing their road in the way tight for an FJR turns. Ride with due caution.
That section of 80 is not in my route plans.

That section of 80 is not in my route plans.
I know that you are flattered that you feel that I'm posting only for you... & I do love you & all... but my post is for others (also) that may have that road on their route plan.

For instance, it will likely be on "MY" route plan.

Awww! I thought I was special! :unsure:
Bob,

We all know how exactly "special" you are.

10-0514BRMC053.jpg

Tell me, do you guys @ HMSP plan to camp? I "still" haven't spoke with Jay about this... but I'm thinking that if we do make it that far on Thursday, it will be dark. I doubt whether I will want to set up camp in the dark & will likely seek a cheap room or cabin for the night.

Tell me, do you guys @ HMSP plan to camp? I "still" haven't spoke with Jay about this... but I'm thinking that if we do make it that far on Thursday, it will be dark. I doubt whether I will want to set up camp in the dark & will likely seek a cheap room or cabin for the night.
I'll camp...but depending on the weather & how much we drink :drinks: , I may forgo setting up my tent and just use a sleeping bag

I'll camp...but depending on the weather & how much we drink :drinks: , I may forgo setting up my tent and just use a sleeping bag
LOL! Actually, that's probably not a bad idea... especially, if there is a pavilion close by.

LOL! Actually, that's probably not a bad idea... especially, if there is a pavilion close by.
I tried doing that once. I near got hypothermia. Best to set up the tent to retain body heat...recommend setting up tent before opening the beers. ;)

My plan is to camp. They have a 2 bedroom cabin with max occupancy of 6 if anyone is interested. It is $97. There is a double bed in one bedroom and twins in the other. One other bed can rented. If there is a sixth they would have to provide their own sleeping matress/pad. Let me know if you all are interested and I will reserve one.

My plans will be very dependent on what Jay wants to do. I am assuming that him & I will be riding out together. The only time that I'd think about renting the cabin is if there were a few more folks willing to go in on it.

I guess that I will worry about that as time draws closer... because I'm really not much for pitching my tent in the dark.

If I get off @ noon that will definitely have up getting there after dark. I cannot take the whole day off. I will already be having a "no pay day" on Friday & cannot afford to take off.