Any rumor on the 2016...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda still has the ST1300 listed on their site and it is still a 2012. Do they still manufacture them? Perhaps there is hope.
Would I like a Gen 3? Yes. Can I justify it? No. My concern is when it is time to get a new bike, what am I going to do?
While I love(d) my faithful ST1300 I can assure you that you would be better off with a Gen3 FJR. Did you see the price on the 2012 ST1300? Ridiculous. I would say that for my needs a well set up Gen2 and a well set up ST1300 are pretty close although the Yamaha is much faster. But the ST1300 does not come close to the goodness of the Gen3 and it costs much more.

FWIW, Honda is still selling the ST1300 in England with a choice of 3 colors. They never offered color choices here.

Me thinks Skooter here knows more than he's saying. I've met him and dined with him (if you can call his eating habits dining) and he's smarter than he looks. Really.
How could he not be? If he were as dumb as he looks he would forget to breathe.

I too have "dined" with him. Between his poor manners and his physical ugliness I was almost too nauseated to eat.
uhoh.gif

I will say that he would be welcome back in my home anytime. Provided of course that we get some information on the next Gen FJR soon.

Honda still has the ST1300 listed on their site and it is still a 2012. Do they still manufacture them? Perhaps there is hope.
Would I like a Gen 3? Yes. Can I justify it? No. My concern is when it is time to get a new bike, what am I going to do?
While I love(d) my faithful ST1300 I can assure you that you would be better off with a Gen3 FJR. Did you see the price on the 2012 ST1300? Ridiculous. I would say that for my needs a well set up Gen2 and a well set up ST1300 are pretty close although the Yamaha is much faster. But the ST1300 does not come close to the goodness of the Gen3 and it costs much more.

FWIW, Honda is still selling the ST1300 in England with a choice of 3 colors. They never offered color choices here.
Not saying I would chose the ST over the FJR. Never. Guess my point was they seem to be selling them 4 years later, albeit at a ridiculous price. Maybe I can still get a brand new Gen 3 years down the road as long as I'm OK with it saying 2015 and being liquid graphite.

Or is Honda's insane price simply a matter of supply vs demand? They aren't being made anymore, they just stockpiled a ton of them in 2012 and are just selling what is left?

I love my bike. But my security blanket of being able to get a new one should something happen to my current one has been ripped away from me.

New plan: Just don't let anything happen to the current bike.

Honda's ST has one important thing going for it over any other big ST: It's the V4 engine, which is a superior configuration in terms of primary balance and reduced engine vibration.

That said, Honda dropped the ball on the ST by letting it get too porky and not fully optimizing the V4 the way they did with the VFR1200. The styling was also a bit on the sedate side, even as ST bikes go. If the ST was pared down to weigh as much as the FJR,and the engine tune put out what the 1200cc is capable of instead of being "torque tuned" for the oldster crowd, I'd have definitely considered an ST over an FJR.

Clearly Honda has given up on the ST segment altogether at this point, which is one of the choices a company can make when they are losing share in the segment. I'll still be watching to see how they do with the Africa Twin when it is fully released and the initial user reviews start coming in.

Also listed as a 2016 Honda model for US market, VFR1200X.

2016_VFR1200X.jpg

The fat lady may not be singing, but clearly she is warming up.....

The sport touring market's days are numbered....

Leave my wife out of this discussion if you don't mind.

I disagree with you on this. If that is the case somebody needs to tell BMW. I am seeing more new R1200RTs and K1600GTs than ever before. Triumph and Kawasaki probably did not get that memo either.

I remember reading a couple years ago in either MotorCyclist or Cycle World that Yamaha was developing a 3 cylinder replacement for the FJR. When someone on this forum started a thread about it, Management immediately merged it with another thread on the FJ-09. I am wondering if that rumor is coming to fruition.

Actually......... The Sport Touring segment is going up. As are ADV bikes. And sport bikes are going down.

Yep, it's the European AS.... and perhaps it's the same colour as the '14A in Canada. I've seen it and it is quite nice, definitely looks like root beer. A bunch of people are wanting the AS on this side of the pond.

"Magnetic Bronze" according to Yamaha.

(Click on image for larger view)

Daughter says it can't be, because bronze isn't magnetic. Don't you just hate smart *rses?

"Brown" according to the registration document.

I like it, whatever it's called.

And, although they're still available, Yamaha's European web site currently shows the 2014 as the latest year.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Magnetic Bronze" according to Yamaha.(Click on image for larger view)

Daughter says it can't be, because bronze isn't magnetic.
Smaht kid!

But what does that say about Yamaha's marketing department?

(No design engineers would have come up with such an oxymoronic phrase)

It's amazing what we pay people to come up with stupid shit. My company paid over a million dollars to a consultant firm to come up with the the new name of our company after the merger. Turns out all they did was put the two names of the company together and called it a day.

Sheeeezzzzzzzzzzzz,

Dave

I sure hope I'm wrong. I'd hate for the ST market to fade away. Hopefully I can keep my '14 in one piece for a while, but eventually, all good things do come to an end. The practical side of me can't see ever buying a BMW, even though I have to admit, I LOVE the ergos of the RT.

I guess if Yamaha is planning to release a late-2016, telling us now completely kills the sale for all remaining 2015s or even a straggling 2014 if any are still out there.

Skooter - for the love of Pete, would you please throw us a bone? Can you at least tell us if you know whether or not Yammie is continuing the FJR?

Skooter - for the love of Pete, would you please throw us a bone?
He already has! Many, MANY, MANY bones! Go back and read.

Can you at least tell us if you know whether or not Yammie is continuing the FJR?
He's already answered that specific question. Post #290 in this thread. I'll let you go back and easily find it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.