• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bill Mayer Saddle GROUP BUY

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Well, I had a GREAT Wednesday! First, at around 1AM, I watched a missile launch over the Pacific. (That's another story for off-line discussion)

Went home and got a few hours sleep and then jumped on the bike for the 90 minute ride south to BMS. When I pulled it, there was a guy on a new BMW Dual-Sport (GS R1200) that as being "fitted". Without missing a beat, they looked at me and pointed to an open area near the shop to park.

As I pulled my gear, Adrian came over and said to get comfortable, coffee is inside and he was going to pull my seats and get started. These guys aren't kidding around!

p447844063-3.jpg

p244587185-3.jpg

I pealed my layers off (I was dressed for the cold that morning and the impending rain storm later that day) and "got comfortable".

Within minutes, the seats were back on the bike MINUS the covers. He had me sit on the seat while they held the bike and made some marks. Then it was back into the shop.

p371140487-3.jpg

Part of my seat is there somewhere!

After a bit, he was back out the door with a dissected portion of my seat and a "pan" to go on top. We did several adjustments and discussed a few things about what I wanted in the end (no pun intended) and he made several more marks on the seat. Back into the shop and to work he went.

Time seemed to fly by as I chatted with the BMW guy (Dan) and watched the 3 techs working on various seats.

About 10:30, we were back on the bike with a glued seat. Time to make some detailed adjustments. I wanted more support in the back, he cautioned against too much, but said he would add more. Another layer of foam and another adjustment on the bike. The seat was feeling pretty good!

p448972356-3.jpg

p107227620-3.jpg

Time for a test ride. As I pulled out of the driveway, I dipped the bars and got a strange sensation... no longer was I able to "pivot" on top of the stock "log" that Yamaha calls a seat. My butt was fully supported on the outside edges and my hips had to pivot. OK, I can get used to this.

Highway 33 is addictive... and you don't want to stop. It's tough to tell yourself to turn around after only 10 minutes of riding this twisty rollercoaster ride, but I wanted a cover on my seat too! The ride was so mice because I was no longer "hanging on" to the bike. Instead, I was planted and felt secure on the seat... just had to use my arms to steer.

After I returned, the real craftsmanship began. Individually-sewn covers done on the spot, glued and stapled in place with every wrinkle or pucker steamed out, massaged out or just plain removed. Nothing less than perfection for these guys.

p115193273-3.jpg

"Pizza's here!" this coming from Susan, who had made a lunch run for everyone. She is the sweet voice at the other end of the phone.

OK, food is done, seat is done, I went and made my payment, (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GROUP BUY!) what am I still doing here? Oh yeah, I'm having too much fun! These folks are great and professional from the word go. They make a terrific product and take care of the customer the entire time.

Well, here it is:

p235928319-3.jpg

I can't tell you how nice the ride home was, but I didn't care about the rain, the traffic or how late it was getting. It was just plain NICE! If there is anyone still not sure about this, get sure about it! This is a rare deal and can save you so much wear and tear and physical discomfort. Almost 30K miles on my 05 stocker and 1500 miles on my 08 stocker and I can already tell you I will NEVER regret getting this seat.

Duff

Thanks for such a great write up and photos! I truly wish I could have ridden in for the custom fit (I am sure that my saddle will be perfect when I get it in the mail today) and to meet the gang. I just called Susan and we are up to a total of 27 orders. Thanks everybody for making this a great experience for my first attempt at a group buy.

A day and a half is all that remains!

Greg.

I am sure there are two more out there, we can make this an even 30!...................................

Thanks JM

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there are two more out there, we can make this an even 30!...................................
Thanks JM
Yep, those splinters in my a**, from all the fence sitting, were getting a mite painful!

Thx,

Jeff

Boy I sure hope we can do this again when I can afford a seat.

Between the 2 helmets, 3 jackets, neck protector, 2 pair of gloves so far, vista cruise, disk lock, battery float, nautilis horn, yamaha turing windshield, (sfo meat/ hotel/ meals/ ) 2 each scala rider cardo Q2 helmet sets, and hopefully nafo, my wife thinks I'm spending money a little too fast on the bike. Better than corbin seat, back rest, exhaust, further pullback bars, l.e.d. lights for givi monkey, hela f550 lights, bike lock with alarm, 2 cooling vests, winter gloves, riding pants, boots, garmin 450 gps, valentine radar detector are still on my list.

Anyone win the lottery lately and want to toss a couple k my way..

Just trying to stay out of the dog house. Jk.

I booked a slot and sent my info to BMS today. Sending the seat in next week. Thx for this.

Thanks gregory for all your effort :clapping: .......I called Tuesday, and have a build date of April 14th. The only hard part will be the Blue Sea fuse block I will have to sit on while BMS is building my new saddle :dribble:

Thanks again!

John

Got my seat yesterday and all I can say so WOW!!!!!!!!!! is my ass HAPPY!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: While I have only had the pleasure of 40 or so mile so far, I am in heaven. I am now looking forward to a much more comfortable SW-FOG and my all of June ride to Hell's Canyon Rally in Oregon For a saddle crafted from just a few pic's I am absoutley amazed. Rocky, I can't thank you enough for graciously giving our group a great deal on an amazing product. I rode to the S.O.'s last night and we both just sat on the bike for 20 min and enjoyed every min in total comfort. (couldn't ride cuz I had to hurry back to get my daughter from curch :sorry: ) This weekend we are going OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :clapping:

Thanks again to all for buying, posting reports, pic's and all the admin help Ignacio!

This was a great experience and everybody has been just great.

Enjoy and ride safe.

Gregory

Great write up Duff.

It's neat seeing the shop through someone else's eyes. Seeing the foam scraps on the floor kinda reinforces the point of no return feeling.

How far did you get on highway 33 before turning back? I got carried away and went past the stoplight at the landslide. I hope you took it back to the central valley, it's a great ride.

I almost chose the basket weave vinyl, but I remembered how it got sun damaged on the Corbin seat for my Ascot. Be sure to keep it covered from the sun and it should last a long time.

Enjoy your new seat.

Brodie

I'm in just made my call. They said I could get in for a 4/21 build or even wait a little as I've been working a lot of ot.

Just got off the phone with Sue.

I have a ride in appointment for May 2nd for the KLR. B)

Not looking forward to the 450 mile ride down there :huh:

hopefully the ride back will be much more pleasant. :rolleyes:

Huh , the organizer gets his and doesn't post pix?

I have em in the camera, but I can't figure out how to post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duff, that doesn't look like the Evolution seat - is it?
Pretty sure it is, but not sure why I didn't get the cute little "wing" stitching. Any way to know for sure? Guess I was BMS-ignorant and could use a little edu-ma-cation. :blink:

<SNIP>How far did you get on highway 33 before turning back? I got carried away and went past the stoplight at the landslide. I hope you took it back to the central valley, it's a great ride.
Unfortunately, not as far as I wanted and I skipped the 4-hour ride home that direction because the weather was looking nasty, but never amounted to anything. Wish I had hind-sight before-hand... wait, that is foresight and I didn't have any of it either. :unsure:

I almost chose the basket weave vinyl, but I remembered how it got sun damaged on the Corbin seat for my Ascot. Be sure to keep it covered from the sun and it should last a long time.
Well, I hope I don't need to go to any extreme measures to keep the vinyl looking good. That is exactly why I got it! I guess the worse-case scenario would be that I go back to BMS and have it recovered at a later date. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it is, but not sure why I didn't get the cute little "wing" stitching. Any way to know for sure? Guess I was BMS-ignorant and could use a little edu-ma-cation. :blink:
Beats me, that's why I ask. Your new seat looks a lot like mine in shape/size. :dntknw:

Beats me, that's why I ask. Your new seat looks a lot like mine in shape/size. :dntknw:
Just called and they are gone... only the bookkeeper left and she didn't know THAT specific an answer. I will call Susan on Manday and get the skinny on what the exact difference is.

Anyone else... Bueller? :huh:

I emailed BMS this AM and got a build date of 4-14 ... my a$$ will be happy and THANK YOU Gregory! For putting this all together. I was not on the fence, I was on the other side of the fence....going to do this next year, but could not resist the deal! Once again.....Thanks!

Baddog (aka Karl)

Status
Not open for further replies.