Cautionary Tales about Seth Laam!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the exact experience as yours when I had mine built by Seth....
Those with information gained firsthand might want to consider posting about their experience with this vendor, particularly after you've completed the exchange. This area of the forum is intended to collect in one spot distilled firsthand details about about a particular vendor and their product.

I do remind everybody that this area of the forum has very specific rules that you will be expected to follow to a T.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Laam told me he uses USPS almost exclusively. USPS advertises and sells a 3-day shipment but they won't guarantee it'll be delivered in three days. According to my post office, it's not uncommon for them not to hit the three day mark. (Hope whoever has your AirHawk has a real bad case of 'roids now.)

Mine didn't get built on or near the date indicated. But I'd figured out the guy was pretty random by then, and my bike was down anyway, so I didn't really pay much attention. I guess, in addition to randomness, we are figuring out that even date constraints discussed with the vendor don't do very much good. That's my experience with Laam.

I just talked with Seth. He hasn't started building the seats...Kaarin told me the seats were shipping on last Monday via USPS 3 day...
SMH...not good. Not good at all.

I think LAAM's new tagline will need to read, "Great seats, when you don't give a shit when you get it."

I like my LAAM seats...but I feel like they're tainted now.

I think LAAM's new tagline will need to read, "Great seats, when you don't give a shit when you get it."
<sarcasm>Whoa to the aggrieved! How can forum dwellers possibly survive the injustice? </sarcasm>

The first-world problem hand-wringing is starting to get cloyingly thick in this thread...along with a few that are appear to be jumping on a bandwagon with pitchforks. Please keep it civil folks and try to attack the problem and not the vendor please. Thanks.
rolleyes.gif

I had the exact experience as yours when I had mine built by Seth....
Those with information gained firsthand might want to consider posting about their experience with this vendor, particularly after you've completed the exchange. This area of the forum is intended to collect in one spot distilled firsthand details about about a particular vendor and their product.

I do remind everybody that this area of the forum has very specific rules that you will be expected to follow to a T.
Hand wringing is over. The promised date, the followup date, the we are shipping 3 day today date are all in the rear view mirror. The fact is I'm leaving for a 3k-4k mile trip on OEM seats. Once (if) I ever get the seats and have a chance to try them I'll post in the Vendor Feedback section. It could be late next spring.

"The first-world problem hand-wringing is cloyingly thick in this thread. rolleyes.gif"

And why not?? This is a First World forum about expensive TOYS!

It would seem more like a real problem had it happened to you.

At this point I'd say screw it. Have them send the pans back and go thru Russell, which is what I thought you said you really wanted from the beginning.

The ship for comfortable seating looks to have sailed for this weeks trip.

<sarcasm>Whoa to the aggrieved! How can forum dwellers possibly survive the injustice? </sarcasm>

The first-world problem hand-wringing is starting to get cloyingly thick in this thread...along with a few that are appear to be jumping on a bandwagon with pitchforks. Please keep it civil folks and try to attack the problem and not the vendor please. Thanks.
rolleyes.gif
If I knew what cloyingly thick meant, I might be even more aggrievedly upset. Whoa sayeth the jester!

I wish that this had started as a second thread so that there would be a second cautionary tale.

Apparantly one is not enough.

Just have him send the effin' seats pans back and wash your hands of him lest the ghost of Ricky ride again.

There's a Saturday Night Live sketch in here somewhere.

I wish that this had started as a second thread so that there would be a second cautionary tale.
Apparantly one is not enough.
No.....

Multiple mobs threads ain't happening here. Work the issue in the existing thread.

Edit: In fact, since the helpful dialogue in this thread has morphed a bit over time...the title now indicates plural Issues

Thanks.

The Management

Instead of having Seth send the pans back to you, have him send the pans directly to Russell on your behalf. Saves paying one leg of the shipping.

I don't care what anyone says or thinks. With this news, I'll never get a Lamm seat. That's bullshit. Seth just finished my seats and sent them back today. EXACTLY when he said he would. I'm hoping that does the trick. If not, I'll pay more to go the Russell route.

What a shame!

I'm struck by how the tone of this thread has changed over time. The OP, kampod, took a lot of grief for that first post. My, how the worm turns! It seems like after 253 post on the topic, that maybe kampod wasn't so off base after all.

Seth reminds me of a guy who can't walk across a yard without stepping on a rake.....and it's always the rake's fault.....

On the other hand he did fine on handling my order. However, I did have it done mid-winter while I was enjoying my skiing hence no urgency.

Good luck to all!

I'm struck by how the tone of this thread has changed over time. The OP, kampod, took a lot of grief for that first post. My, how the worm turns! It seems like after 253 post on the topic, that maybe kampod wasn't so off base after all.
A recognition I wasn't shooting for... but thank you nevertheless :) I feel bad for Seth who can't turn skills into truly successfully business, and for everyone else waiting in vain for their seats. For what it worth: the seat is good. While I still regret not giving chance to Russel, this is huge improvement over the stock instrument of torture.

richsp51's post made me wonder if I'd been one of the first responders. I was not. My first post was #86, and at that point it was to comment on Rick M. as a mentor, and to comment on Russell's business model, which seems to be pretty professional.

I don't think Kampod would have been hammered by the earliest responders had his second post not been to start this thread.

We all tend to want to believe the best of vendors we know or have dealt with. So when someone we don't know starts complaining, it is easy to discount their story.

I'm glad Kampod's seat worked out OK. As this thread has evolved, I've looked at other forums, and the issues raised here are not that uncommon.

I like the Kampod's chosen title for the thread, and retroactively would like to thank him for sharing his experience. Obviously it was of interest to a lot of folks.

I saw several Lamm seats at the RR5. Excellent build quality. It seems that Seth mights be an artist and not a production shop. Big difference. Russell appears to be a production shop. My 2 cents

Seth does great work...but don't ever depend on him to make a deadline that is important to you.

He may make it, but you can't depend on it. Even if he promises to. I guess that's what artists do.