FJR Down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your bikes demise, glad to hear that you're OK. Thanks for sharing, although I know about target fixation, the reminder is a help. I wish you well with your bike. Your going to be a tad sore for a few days.

After reading all the other posts, I agree. Make the claim and wait for the news, when you get it, find an '06. Everything happens for a reason. Hopefully all the farkles are salvageable! :D

+1 on the head and eyes comments. At any speed, you go where you look. The rest is clutch and throttle. :thumbup:

Sorry to read about your crash!

Good that you weren't damaged.

I totaled my ZRX and the insurance company cut me a check to buy a new one. The logistics were a pain, but all was made well in the end. I hope you have as easy a time.

Regards,

Ron

I don’t want to say too much more about the cause, because I don’t know whether file an insurance claim or pay for the damage myself.
Just trying to offer one data point. Here's a link to the '05 FJR I killed.

https://www.bikenorthamerica.com/deer/

Note that all the right side plastic is gone. So is the dash and windscreen. I thought the forks might be toast, but at least I could compress them to the normal limit.

The bike in the link was totalled. Insurance co said that damages in excess of 70% of the value of the bike would result in its being totalled. My estimate was pretty close to 70%, so I wasn't surprised when they euthanized the bike.

as madmike said when you call gary mc coy you are going to get a great deal on the parts from him . dont be surprised if the quote you get from your dealer for parts is 50 percent higher than what gary gives you . you can use the extra cash for some aftermarket parts.

[SIZE=14pt]Totaled!! [/SIZE]

Oh no. That will make me a waiter, but for what year?

I want to pretend that it's repairable.

BTW, my helmet sliders worked just fine.

As all has been saying same here glad your are ok. The bike, as said it can be replaced. One thing you may want to ask your insurance man is , how much is your rate going to go up?

Now for anyone that has taken a motorcycle foundation safety course, what do they teach for technique or what should you do in a situation that just happened?

Coyote; you will be upand running in no time probably on an 06

Just for everyone's information, Coyote is a great rider. He has taken his FJR to track days. I think it's interesting to note that he has already mentally replayed the accident in his mind and realized he suffered "target fixation". Even with a large skill set, good rider's can be bitten by the road gods.

You can pretty much figure they will total the machine. It will be up to you if you want to fix it. That's why I suggested taking it to a dealer for an estimate, then calling the insurance company after you have a parts cost:time ratio to help in your decision.

Keep us up to date. If it comes down to it, there are still some '05s being reported at dealers.

Now for anyone that has taken a motorcycle foundation safety course, what do they teach for technique or what should you do in a situation that just happened?
All depends on current speed and how deeply committed to the turn you are. Me, I'd be rolling off the throttle while simultaneously downshifting and craning my neck as far in the correct direction possible, staying off the brakes, especially the rear so the bike doesn't stand up, some serious lean and then a roll back on to the throttle to get out of trouble and keep the bike upright in my near-horizontal lean. Then I'd stop, dismount and change my drawers. A lot of "ifs" mind you and easier said than done if you're cookin'.

Worst case scenario - brake all you can prior to impact, then put it down on its low side without separating from the bike. Sounds ugly, but it works when suddenly coming upon a stopped semi in your lane with nowhere to go. Did it in training (albeit on a skid pad) about 6 years ago. Just stay with the bike, it's when you separate that you really up your potential for injury.

Coyote,

Across the board, ditto, ditto, ditto. Thanks for sharing your story. I know exactly that sick feeling you get, as I dropped my bike right around 1100 miles of owning it. It was terrible! Of course I wasn't as reserved with the comments. They didn't include, "Stupid, stupid, stupid! Why did I do that?" I used every cuss word in the dictionary. I even yelled at the two jackasses (real donkeys) that saw me crash. They looked at me while I was yelling, did the "hee haw" thing, and that was rock bottom for me. To essentially be laughed at by animals.........ARGHH! Luckily my little mishap only cost me $400, no insurance claim, bike is as good as new, and better than all that, I wasn't hurt. Glad to hear you weren't either.

Something I did learn from your story that sticks out is the term "Target Fixation". I'd never heard it till now, but I realize I'd done it in the past during a few near misses. Didn't know that what I was doing had a name. Now I do. Thanks again for sharing, take care of yourself, and hope it all works out for ya.

Aaron

Hey Dawg,

We were just talking about you earlier. Eve mentioned that she had your number saved in her phone, so we chatted a bit to jog her memory of who you are. Strangely coincidental that we had to have another follow-up late tonight. Sorry to hear of your bike's misfortune, but it's great that you're still around to post. Celebrate another day of living!

At that point I target fixated and planted my wheel right in it.
Dang!

So sorry you did that, but very glad you're not hurt, hope you dont' have too many bruises.

the ins co will pbly total the bike...

I have a Suzuki Bandit... the frame on the side has a slight dent...ok, totalled...

even if the paint on the frame is scrated, if it's deep enuf...

So they subtracted $300 from what I got... i'm happy... it's all cosmetic damage, pegs, bars, etc, except for the dent in the frame...and I got the bike...

You take it easy, it's very easy to do the target fixation thing and not realize it..

but the good thing is you do know what you did... OK, in another 30 years you're allowed to drop a bike in the parking lot! <G>

mary

Daaaaaaam G .. sorry to hear that you tossed it away, reeeeeally glad your OK tho.. glad the gear did it's job and saved your butt, how about you post up what gear you had and how it withstood the damage and did its job correctly. Was it you mesh stuff ?

If the bike did a couple 180's then I think it's totalled as others have said. There'll be enough 06's " ordered " by the dealers in employee names that you should have no problem picking up another bike, even 05's are still out there, and a clean used 04 is another option, seen a couiple low mile ones on CGL lately.

Heal up bro, keep the faith :agent:

You crashed. I think you should stop riding. :eek: Just kidding. There might be an 05 abs up for sale in michigan....has anyone heard from carbon monoxide yet?

Coyote, damn - going down always sucks the big one.

BUT - anytime we can get up and walk away with little or no injury then it was only material damage and not YOU damaged.

Keep riding and good luck on the replacement.

I guess now you can get that ST-1300 you know you have secretly always wanted. :D

I just want to add to FJR_Pig's comments:

The bike has a lot more lean and turning capability than you think. If you're going in too hot, you probably aren't -- the bike can handle it you just need to make yourself handle the situation.

1) Look through the corner. See where you want to go. If you look at the curb in front of you, you're done for. You'll run straight off the road where you were looking at the curb.

2) Countersteer and lean that bike. Keep countersteering and leaning. Most street riders don't weight the inside peg very much, so your maximum lean angle is well past the point where the inside footpeg begins to fold up. Bikes lean a lot further than you think they can.

3) At street speeds, you can roll off the throttle*. This will weight the front end and give you more traction and decrease the rake and trail as the front end dives making the bike turn in more quickly. It would be nice to be able to reapply throttle as you go through the turn, but bikes with jerky EFI make this problematic as the bike will lurch as you go from closed to open throttle. Just keep countersteering and leaning.

4) Let's face it. If you're going in too hot, you probably aren't going to be able to stop in time anyways. So try to make that turn. The truth is, it's mostly mental. The bike can do it, but the rider isn't willing.

* at track speeds, this is probably not a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you're okay. Much better to buy new metal for the bike than for your leg/ankle etc, I've seen too much of it already. Just make sure you're sorted out mentally before you sort the bike up physically.