FJR lean angle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test rode a VFR1200 today. Nice bike, good engine (a bit more vibey than I expected) seemed pretty light on its feet too. The lack of leg room killed it for me though. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam and it folded me up pretty good. The salesman I was working with said he had a 29 inch inseam and it wasn't an issue for him. The seat is very narrow in the front so the reach to the ground shouldn't be a problem. There is the little bitty tank though so range is short for a bike you want to tour on and of course wind protection isn't nearly as good as the FJR. It had Heli-Bars installed and reach to the bars was no problem for me.

It isn't the bike for me but you might take a look at them. There are tremendous deals on them as it's been a poor seller.

BTW, I don't know if you remember me or not but I rode with you (Glory Racing) and Scott at the STN National back in 08. I was on my K1200S at the time. I'm planning on bringing the FJR down next month to do it again.
Yep, the vfr is on the watch list. Just need to find a preowned so I can ride it a bit to get a real read. I also like the fact that they are selling affordably as well. I could care less if they are not popular. More go for the dough and the fact that it works for me is all I am interested in.

Glad you are gonna make it back down for some more twisty ridin at SFO. Looking forward to it! Hey, maybe you can help me with my technique, since that is what most members are wanting to talk about.

just sold mine... it was an 04. i truly loved that bike. and if you get one of that generation, or any for that matter, you will certainly not be disappointed.

it tips the scale onto the sport side but does everything else really well.

i needed more weather protection for long road and commuting, hence the change...

Thanx for the suggestions and excited about getting to ride/visit with you again.

I notice that most of the guys chiming in on this live in Flatlandistan of some sort and have no phuching idea what they are talking about.
Third thought .. cornering lines. Take a look at how you apex ... are you making the corners tighter than they need to be?

Sometimes on left hand turns when I look forward for the line and where I want to go...I drift towards the center. This does make me tighten the corner and lean more. Pisses me off when I do that! Until I can correct the tendency, it is gonna happen regardless of the bike I ride. So I am still looking for "possible" replacements for FJR.

Fifth thought .. I think this is the winner .. get a second sporty leany bike, like an older SV650. Have your fun on that, tour on the FJR. Or just tour on the SV. I've done it a few times and I wouldn't be disappointed to do it again.

Thought about a second bike and may just do that and keep the FJR for the 2 up rides. Been craving an FZ1 for a while. However, I prefer a one bike does it all scenario. That perfect bike may not exist and the FJR is pretty damn close, but maybe, just maybe, I can get a little closer to what would be ideal for me right now. Thanx.

after wearing off my feelers and "reshaping" my center stand, i upgraded to titanium feeler pegs. seem to hold up fine.

i ride well within the limits of the bikes capabilities and still touch down. alot

i've scuffed a knee on this thing.
Well if that's the case you won't actually enjoy riding with me. If you ride like this I'll be waaaaaay to slow for ya. You'll just have to wait & meet me at the end point of the route and have a beer while I try to catch up. :(

actually i would enjoy riding with you very much... i've seen your excellent videos.

i think there's an assumption generally here that those of us that "go fast" or "touch Down" are ALWAYS riding way outside the limits of sanity and safety.

not so. yes, i've done it (ride outside the limits of sanity and safety) but not so much anymore.

and there's another assumption that we ride like that all the time...

wrong again.

i have the pleasure of riding with a very diverse group. some are brand new to the sport and scared as hell some can leave me standing me all day long... we get along great and all learn from each other.

mostly, i ride with people that enjoy the ride. we all ride "our own" ride within the comfort of our own skill levels and enjoy the comradeship that comes at the end of the day...

truly it's the beauty of the sport tour... it can appeal to a vast spectrum of age, skill, experience and purpose...

can't we all just get along? :)

and GR, in case you have forgotten, you are the one that turned me on to the Titanium feelers. which i love by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - I'm with ya on the lean angle GloryRacing. I notice that most of the guys chiming in on this live in Flatlandistan of some sort and have no phuching idea what they are talking about. I work on my technique constantly, but there's only so much you can do two up. The FJR is no wheres near the limit of grip when the peg feelers touch down, no matter how good your body position is, and equally important, how well you throttle through the apex. The best advice I can give you is quit buying the soft and expensive aluminum peg feelers, go to the hardware store and buy some M10x20 bolts and grind away.

Edit - suspension helps a little, but doesn't create miracles, but then, you already know that.

So if I follow your logic here, FLATLANDER (that's folks in Colorado call all people east of us...) the elevation of one's location dioctates the effect of lean angle and hard part dragging? If that's the case, i should drag hard parts 10 times more than you since Calhoun is at abuo 660 ft and I am at 6900 ft. Whenever I leave my driveway I should begin dragging parts and it should stop when I return home. Yes? :rolleyes:

What technique are you working on? How far over you can lean or how quickly you can get through a corner? :dribble:

Glory, I am not about to try to lecture you on how to ride, how fast to ride, or whether you know what you are doing. I will strongly recommend you get into track days with a suitable bike. I would rather ride fast where I know all traffic is moving in the same direction I am. Someplace where Captain Slow in his Prius with a license plate from "Flatlandistan" did not cut the inside of the curve and throw gravel all over my apex point. Someplace where speeding tickets are not part of the equation. That kind of hobby is easier to finance than dying because of some idiot from "Flatlandistan" sightseeing in your lane.

I have been thinking about this alot and if you can ride as well as you say, you are probably very knowledgeable about the bikes you might consider as alternatives. What are you leaning towards? You must have some idea of what you would rather ride?

Today I was in the Honda/Yamaha dealership and looked closely at the VFR 1200. I prefer the older VFR800 with factory bags. I've seen pics of those on the Dragon leaned over far enough to be grinding away the saddlebag.

What about an FZ1? I have always wanted to try a set of soft bags and bar risers on one of those. Of course, you would still have the chain to work on.

Good luck with your choice from down here in Swampy Flatlandistan.

i think there's an assumption generally here that those of us that "go fast" or "touch Down" are ALWAYS riding way outside the limits of sanity and safety.
Nah I don't personally really think that myself, some others might. Many times certain riders that can ride a ST and scrape pegs typically means their riding ability exceeds the ability of the bike & their just good riders.

My only point is that I've ridden behind riders that seem to scrape every other twistie and I'm not scrapping at all...yet I'm right on their ass. So some riders just tend to flop the bike over more than others, but it doesn't always equal more speed in the curves.

...in case you have forgotten, you are the one that turned me on to the Titanium feelers. which i love by the way.
Glad your liking them. lol. I have them on my bike but I've only touched down a hand full of times in almost 10,000 miles. I actually love the fact that I rarely do anymore. I like to ride between 60%-75% which is still a nice brisk pace without pushing it at all. I can ride that pace safely all day long and have a good time.

Getting tired of scraping/replacing hard parts. I really like everything about my ride except the lack of lean angle. I am quessing there is nothing that can be done to the bike to help ease the situation as suspension has already been tweaked. Therefore, is there a ride out there that is much like an fjr but with substantially better lean angle?
This would be fun...

VP1781956_1.jpg

I like to ride between 60%-75% which is still a nice brisk pace without pushing it at all. I can ride that pace safely all day long and have a good time.
exactly...

and of course we are now way off topic from the OP's request for advice... yet i digress...

and i didn't think that you make the assumption about 'go fast/touch down' its just that the tone of this thread (and others) seemed to be hanging on that general assumption.

just think that what is "fast" is very subjective to so many things.

i truly enjoy a good slow easy ride as well... and can't wait for the next one.

maybe we'll get that ride in someday!

FWIW, i LOVE the VFR800 much better than the VFR1200 and i've seen some amazing deals on them.

Getting tired of scraping/replacing hard parts. I really like everything about my ride except the lack of lean angle. I am quessing there is nothing that can be done to the bike to help ease the situation as suspension has already been tweaked. Therefore, is there a ride out there that is much like an fjr but with substantially better lean angle?
This would be fun...

VP1781956_1.jpg
Seems like that is built for Arkansas. According to the picture it is operated by a disabled person as well...might be rough for that 2up cross country tour...but good enough for Arky I would think. :clapping:

The FJR, even with custom suspension, has some limits on ground clearance. If you want to push hard in the twisty bits you have to hang off with good technique and truly work on reducing lean angle. Lots of riders think they are hanging off, and they are and they look good, however they are also pushing the bike down at the same time. The Lee Parks Total Control course is very effective at teaching proper body positioning, It helped me a bunch. If I drag hard parts now it is usually because I am not paying attention to technique.
this.

if you want to go fast and do it safely then you have to use good technique regardless of the bike. a "sometimes" approach will net the same loss of clearance regardless of the bike you try. if you don't want to get off into the inside of the corners on a given day, then slow down on that day. an upgraded suspension (mine's Wilburs and it's not stock like someone seemed to be saying) will help on nearly any production bike.

maybe you should be considering tack days and staying within your sight line and keeping it to 80% when on the street?
YES...technique and suspension is important. That has been mentioned and I understand.

I have never done a track day and probably will not do one. Although almost everyone I ride with says I should do it...I can't really afford another hobby right now.

And I very rarely even run as high as 80% when on the streets. Even though there are some roads around here that cut through the forest and are as safe as a public road can be...good sight lines, paved shoulders, zero driveways, etc...I aint gonna push that hard. Running at 70% for me is plenty fast enough...although it does still drag hard parts sometimes on the ole FJR. ;) Any bike suggestions?
dragging hard parts on public roads is going more than 70% since that includes more than just the road in the rating; it includes the bike's ability, etc.

honda_ruckus_2.jpg

The FJR, even with custom suspension, has some limits on ground clearance. If you want to push hard in the twisty bits you have to hang off with good technique and truly work on reducing lean angle. Lots of riders think they are hanging off, and they are and they look good, however they are also pushing the bike down at the same time. The Lee Parks Total Control course is very effective at teaching proper body positioning, It helped me a bunch. If I drag hard parts now it is usually because I am not paying attention to technique.
this.

if you want to go fast and do it safely then you have to use good technique regardless of the bike. a "sometimes" approach will net the same loss of clearance regardless of the bike you try. if you don't want to get off into the inside of the corners on a given day, then slow down on that day. an upgraded suspension (mine's Wilburs and it's not stock like someone seemed to be saying) will help on nearly any production bike.

maybe you should be considering tack days and staying within your sight line and keeping it to 80% when on the street?
YES...technique and suspension is important. That has been mentioned and I understand.

I have never done a track day and probably will not do one. Although almost everyone I ride with says I should do it...I can't really afford another hobby right now.

And I very rarely even run as high as 80% when on the streets. Even though there are some roads around here that cut through the forest and are as safe as a public road can be...good sight lines, paved shoulders, zero driveways, etc...I aint gonna push that hard. Running at 70% for me is plenty fast enough...although it does still drag hard parts sometimes on the ole FJR. ;) Any bike suggestions?
dragging hard parts on public roads is going more than 70% since that includes more than just the road in the rating; it includes the bike's ability, etc.

honda_ruckus_2.jpg
Thanx for finally suggesting a bike. Although the ruckus appears to have a greater lean angle than the FJR...no shield or wind protection. Thanx for playing.

This would be fun...

VP1781956_1.jpg
No doubt a SM would be a blast on most of the roads around these here parts. Almost pulled the trigger on a KTM but decided to try and live with the one bike scenario .

FYI...Last summer a Yamaha SM smoked my ass going up and back down the dragon. Talk about good braking action!!! Had a good time chatting with him afterwards. He lived in the area and we rode some other back roads for the rest of the morning. I asked him how the SM would do on the Cherohala...he suggested the FJR would easily dominate in that situation.

You gonna be able to come ride during SFO?

Geez, didn't realize I would have to answer so many questions. Here goes. If I miss any, let me know.

I do live where the roads are very crooked. I am not good but I like to ride fast. I ride both solo and 2up. Surely my technique can be improved. On the clutch side the peg, kickstand then the centerstand drag. On the throttle side the cans drag. I 'hang off' sometimes but prefer not to...that is why I am on a sport touring bike. Upgraded suspension since FJRrider has followed with stiffer fork springs and a penske shock. It was great for a while but now I have progressed, or regressed, which ever the case may be! My warrantee will expire on the FJR in the near future...so I am looking at other rides as candidates for replacement given my current riding style.

So far a Multistrata and a Busa has been suggested. Anything else someone can suggest? What about a K1200/1300?

Thank you for your suggestions.
I wholly recomend a VFR1200F. I bought one last October, and I have hardly ridden the FJR since. Absolutely, the fastest and best handling sport/sportouring motorcycle out there. When they first came out they were selling for 15,999, but I bought my 2010 fresh out of the crate for 10,999. The bar position is a bit more forward and a bit lower than the FJR, but once you adjust to it you will love the increased leverage in the twisties. Terrific anti-lock brakes, liter-bike performance, fabulous paint and great fit and finish. You can also purchase system cases, top-box, heated-grips, larger windscreen and a centerstand if you so desire. If you can still find a 2010 for sale, take one for a test ride. I'm thinking you will be impressed. By the way, did I mention that this moto is FAST?

Geez, didn't realize I would have to answer so many questions. Here goes. If I miss any, let me know.

I do live where the roads are very crooked. I am not good but I like to ride fast. I ride both solo and 2up. Surely my technique can be improved. On the clutch side the peg, kickstand then the centerstand drag. On the throttle side the cans drag. I 'hang off' sometimes but prefer not to...that is why I am on a sport touring bike. Upgraded suspension since FJRrider has followed with stiffer fork springs and a penske shock. It was great for a while but now I have progressed, or regressed, which ever the case may be! My warrantee will expire on the FJR in the near future...so I am looking at other rides as candidates for replacement given my current riding style.

So far a Multistrata and a Busa has been suggested. Anything else someone can suggest? What about a K1200/1300?

I wholly recomend a VFR1200F. I bought one last October, and I have hardly ridden the FJR since. Absolutely, the fastest and best handling sport/sportouring motorcycle out there. When they first came out they were selling for 15,999, but I bought my 2010 fresh out of the crate for 10,999. The bar position is a bit more forward and a bit lower than the FJR, but once you adjust to it you will love the increased leverage in the twisties. Terrific anti-lock brakes, liter-bike performance, fabulous paint and great fit and finish. You can also purchase system cases, top-box, heated-grips, larger windscreen and a centerstand if you so desire. If you can still find a 2010 for sale, take one for a test ride. I'm thinking you will be impressed. By the way, did I mention that this moto is FAST?
Definately want to check out the VFR. All I have been able to locate so far is the Auto version. Saddlebags are $1400! Ouch.

Gone ridin for a couple days with the MSSR boys. Yall have a good weekend and talk to ya on Monday.

smoked my ass going up and back down the dragon.
thanks for the the clarification of where and how you want to ride.

i'm out. the last 3 times i did the dragon is was filled with wankers that should have been on a track. over filled actually.

it's simply no fun now that it's become such a destination for the squideratte.

if you're wanting to emulate those riders, then FJR isn't the tool.

I just got done with a day ride with my co-worker on his VFR1200. I got to ride it and it would for sure be on my short list of bikes to own if I had to leave the FJR. Comfortable and smooth power. They're not a whole lot faster in a straight-line than the FJR. Not to nit-pick what you're saying but they're no where near as fast as the current liter-bikes.

Here's a vid for fun. He shifted a thousand rpm shy of redline in this video. If he runs it all the way up he will put a couple bike lengths on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gby_PTuju_k

Oh... and here's another video with an 'oh shit' moment a couple minutes in. He's a newer rider on the VFR and was probably pushing his skills a bit too hard on a road he wasn't real familiar with. Fun to watch the bike though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAFH5b1tsLk

I just got done with a day ride with my co-worker on his VFR1200. I got to ride it and it would for sure be on my short list of bikes to own if I had to leave the FJR. Comfortable and smooth power. They're not a whole lot faster in a straight-line than the FJR. Not to nit-pick what you're saying but they're no where near as fast as the current liter-bikes.

Here's a vid for fun. He shifted a thousand rpm shy of redline in this video. If he runs it all the way up he will put a couple bike lengths on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gby_PTuju_k

Oh... and here's another video with an 'oh shit' moment a couple minutes in. He's a newer rider on the VFR and was probably pushing his skills a bit too hard on a road he wasn't real familiar with. Fun to watch the bike though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAFH5b1tsLk
Well, I do not want to get in a debate, but a stock VFR1200F will run the quarter-mile in 10.23 to 10.35 with a trap speed of 138 plus according to Motorcyclist & Cycle World magazines. That is absolutly open liter class speed. Top speed however, is limited to 157 mph by electronic governor. I own a 2006FJR and it has no chance against a VFR1200F in any type of accelleration run in any gear. But, I dearly love my FJR for its comfort and versatility. :)

Having come from many sportbikes, I can say the FJR is no sportbike, but I can ride it almost 80% as hard with the same smile on my face. You rode the FJR many miles and are just now deciding you want something that can lean further?

You have two options, get a sportbike and sell the FJR or get a sportbike and keep the FJR. There is no sporttouring bike out there that will out handle an FJR with the proper setup. Dogbones and the suspension stiffened up works fine for me and I doubt you ride much harder than I do, but I could be wrong. The reason for your post on this forum puzzles me. :blink: