FJR lean angle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally think I made it all the way through this thread. Having read (skimmed) it I think this comment is the one thing that stands out to me the most.

I 'hang off' sometimes but prefer not to...that is why I am on a sport touring bike.
To me, if you want to ride a sport touring bike hard, then hanging off is more necessary than on a full fledged sport bike. You can round the same corner on both bikes sitting straight up just fine, you can round the corner faster sitting straight up on a sport bike. But to push harder you gotta get off the seat to gain back that ground clearance. So hanging off is more critical on a Sport Touring bike than a sport bike.

All that said, I didn't notice the suggestion here but I just came from the FZ1 to the FJR. By and large the FZ1 has a good seating position and can be toured on in that position. Throw some bags on it and tour away. It's real downside as a tourer, especially the Gen II model is the gas tank. You'll be filling up more often than you do with the FJR. But with that comes a very sporty bike that'll be much better in the turns than the FJR is, but can still be ridden some distance. I had a ball in Arkansas on my Gen I FZ1 and the Gen II is sportier in handling. Powerwise, yes, it's ONLY a 1K. However, I don't feel I really gained any power coming to the big FJR. With some mods to the Gen II FZ1 I bet it can make an FJR feel weak by comparison. So, that's my suggestion based on my experience as something you might look into for a bike that can shred the corners but still keep you in a sane riding position over the long haul.

Oh yea, look up FazerPhil, he did last years IBR on the Gen I FZ1. Yea, they can be used as touring bikes successfully.
Now this is a good answer and why I posted. Comparing a FZ1 to the FJR. The FZ1 is on the short list so it is good to hear comments based on actual experience. (I actually considered purchasing your Bee as a second bike).

I believe this thread took some of the turns it did because I titled it incorrectly and did not include enough initial info. Although it was fun to read some posts and hear members opinions about other topics, I probably did not get as much good info on the subject at hand as I could have. Guess you can learn something everyday! I will try again later.

Your statement, "hanging off is more critical on a sport touring than a sport bike" is exactly the reason I will be considering other bikes for a possible replacement. I am not trying to necessarily go faster or wanting to 'hang off' more often. I enjoy the way I currently ride and simply want to continue... Perhaps on a bike that turns better so less scraping less often. If I could handle the ergos of a supersport, that is what I would ride, but that just aint in the cards.

Thanx for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't scrape these pegs... :)

can-am-spyder-se5-front.jpg

I might ride over during SFO on a day ride, but won't be staying. Hard to make any plans right now.

You won't scrape these pegs... :) I might ride over during SFO on a day ride, but won't be staying. Hard to make any plans right now.
I want to be fast but not good so my butt wont be moving off the seat...therefore I probably would scrape those also! I should just quit ridin'!

Hope you can make it over. I aint quittin until after SFO.

Well, for that matter I'd also suggest a look into the new Ninja 1000. There's a few FZ1 converts riding those around and are very happy with them. It sounds to me like you are seeking a good sport standard. We don't get all of them but we've got a few of them here, as they mostly go to Europe because all the squidley's here MUST have that race bike. Suzuki and Honda have brought some interesting offerings recently, but I'm of course partial to the FZ1.

Since you are well versed with suspension upgrades, know that you'll continue this on just about any sport standard out there. They tend to get cheap components to keep the price down so they'll actually sell compared to the supersports. With some fork cartridges and a rear shock replacement, folks are VERY happy with the ride of the FZ1. I don't ride that hard so I was ok with the stock stuff but I'm sure I'd have been happier with aftermarket stuff. However, my wife was pregnant with our son when I picked up my first FZ1, so you can imagine that farkles for the bike were low low low priority.

Too bad the motorcycle show isn't soon. That's a perfect place to run around and sit on as many bikes as you can to check out ergos to see what fits you best.

Also, while you are shopping, I'd also give the KTM SMT a good hard look. It's basically a touring version of the SMR, their big v-twin supermoto. For something that can be fun carving up the twisties or touring, that'd be the way to go. Of course, a multistrada then enters the picture as well...if you are willing to spend the cash.

One of the nice things about motorcycle shopping now is that there's so many different ways you can go and the lines are blurred enough that you can get a bike that excels in many areas. Good luck, and enjoy your search!

Well, for that matter I'd also suggest a look into the new Ninja 1000. There's a few FZ1 converts riding those around and are very happy with them. It sounds to me like you are seeking a good sport standard. We don't get all of them but we've got a few of them here, as they mostly go to Europe because all the squidley's here MUST have that race bike. Suzuki and Honda have brought some interesting offerings recently, but I'm of course partial to the FZ1.

Since you are well versed with suspension upgrades, know that you'll continue this on just about any sport standard out there. They tend to get cheap components to keep the price down so they'll actually sell compared to the supersports. With some fork cartridges and a rear shock replacement, folks are VERY happy with the ride of the FZ1. I don't ride that hard so I was ok with the stock stuff but I'm sure I'd have been happier with aftermarket stuff. However, my wife was pregnant with our son when I picked up my first FZ1, so you can imagine that farkles for the bike were low low low priority.

Too bad the motorcycle show isn't soon. That's a perfect place to run around and sit on as many bikes as you can to check out ergos to see what fits you best.

Also, while you are shopping, I'd also give the KTM SMT a good hard look. It's basically a touring version of the SMR, their big v-twin supermoto. For something that can be fun carving up the twisties or touring, that'd be the way to go. Of course, a multistrada then enters the picture as well...if you are willing to spend the cash.

One of the nice things about motorcycle shopping now is that there's so many different ways you can go and the lines are blurred enough that you can get a bike that excels in many areas. Good luck, and enjoy your search!
Yep, Ninja is on the radar as well. The 2012 has an abs option also. I have become quite comfortable with abs. Opps, there I go wanting to be fast but not good again.

No doubt the lines have become blurred and that is a good thing...but it sure makes it more difficult for my little brain to comprehend all the possible scenarios.

Thanx again.

Glory, I can understand you getting aggravated with all the posts trying to help you out with your riding style, your suspension setup, your cornering speed etc. But what do you want? Please tell us what bikes are on your list. I don't yet understand how a man who can ride faster/better than the rest of us and who already knows how to set up his suspension would not already know which bikes would handle better, lean farther and fulfill his needs. The purpose of this whole thread has become increasingly confusing to me. The first posters tried to help, then it went south. Are you looking for advice on a new bike or are you just telling us all how fast you are? I would think you already know about the new bikes. You also don't have to be very fast to outrun me, I am easily impressed. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Glory, I can understand you getting aggravated with all the posts trying to help you out with your riding style, your suspension setup, your cornering speed etc. But what do you want? Please tell us what bikes are on your list. I don't yet understand how a man who can ride faster/better than the rest of us and who already knows how to set up his suspension would not already know which bikes would handle better, lean farther and fulfill his needs. The purpose of this whole thread has become increasingly confusing to me. The first posters tried to help, then it went south. Are you looking for advice on a new bike or are you just telling us all how fast you are? I would think you already know about the new bikes. You also don't have to be very fast to outrun me, I am easily impressed. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
This has absolutely nothing to do with how fast I am or am not. There are many that can run off and leave me. And when was it stated that I was faster/better??? If I was faster/better, I wouldn't be draggin stuff. Actually I think I mentioned early on, "I am not good but enjoy riding a fast pace." Whether I am the fastest or not, doesn't matter...it is whether I am enjoying MY ride. Hence my preference to sit upright and leave my butt in the seat more often than not. Others brought up speed. Besides, there is always someone slower and someone faster. Anyway...

The bikes I am thinking may fit the bill at this point are: FJR, K1300S, ninja1000abs, fz1, vfr1200, sprint, maybe a c14 but probably to big. The only bike of these that I have riden is the FJR and the a Suzuki race team modded first gen fz1. I do not really know anything about the adventure bikes??? So, hearing from people that have actual experience with other bikes helps me narrow down the choices. Experience with other bikes AND the FJR is ideal for true comparisons ! There are not many dealers around Marble Falls, AR much less dealers that have these bikes I can test ride. Certainly you have seen, "Help me pick my next bike" threads. Hopefully I have explained this well enough so you can understand. If not, I can keep trying.

No need to explain. You've explained enough already.

I think whenever someone points out a negative about the bike THEY own...they get defensive and feel that an internet injustice must be corrected. :D You've obviously regretted the title for this thread, as stated in a previous post...and have explained why you want other FJR Owner's opinions on your next bike...preferable something with MORE lean angle. :D

All he knows is the FJR and the Ruckus...so he can't really contribute to the discussion. At least he tries! I just hope he can come down to AR and follow me a while and give me some pointers!
:rofl:

he don't know me do he?

hint: keeping your butt in the seat necessitates leaning the bike underneath you like a slow-speed parade rider does when doing tight maneuvers. either you learn into the corner more or the bike does. if the bike does, then it scrapes hard parts. regardless of which bike you ride, this is always the case.

hint: keeping your butt in the seat necessitates leaning the bike underneath you like a slow-speed parade rider does when doing tight maneuvers. either you learn into the corner more or the bike does. if the bike does, then it scrapes hard parts. regardless of which bike you ride, this is always the case.
You are like a regular FJR savant! :clapping:

translation: i want fast. i don't want good.
???
Getting tired of scraping/replacing hard parts.
I am not good but I like to ride fast.
I am not trying to necessarily go faster or wanting to 'hang off' more often. I enjoy the way I currently ride and simply want to continue.

Point?

And thanx for helping me understand the physics of how a bike turns...Who woulda thunk it! Any suggestions that contribute?

I mentioned the Supermoto T or SMT from KTM. Here's a couple of threads from a member who recently picked one up.

https://www.fjrforum....howtopic=145260

https://www.fjrforum....howtopic=145808

Thanx again for legitimate answers to the repeated question, bike suggestions please!

Obviously, based on some responses, I have been enjoying this thread from an entertainment perspective in addition to a learning tool. You are a respectable man and great american for trying to keep us on track. Bless you!

Hopefully I have explained this well enough so you can understand. If not, I can keep trying.
I am pretty sure I got this one figured out already. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Then please do share. Enlighten us.
Please take a moment or two of your time to re-read my posts to this thread, #31 and #64. At that point, I was truly trying to be helpful.

To summarize what we have now:

Glory: I don't like my FJR anymore, help.

Forum: You don't know how to ride.

Glory: I know how to ride. Real fast.

Forum: You don't know how to set up your suspension.

Glory: I know how to set up my suspension.

Forum: You are a bad person because you don't love the FJR! You must ride like this and you must set up your suspension like this or you suck!

Glory: Why are you mad at me? I am invincible, I can ride as fast as I want on the street and nothing bad can happen to me! Why can't you just answer my question?

Forum: (There is silence, crickets can be heard chirping in the background)

This thing probably started off with good intentions, but since you got advice you did not ask for with very few legitimate answers to your original question, it went way south. Please tell me that this made you laugh just a little, I hope something happens to put this back on track. I agree with you about GixxerJasen, he seems like a great guy. For my part, I am sitting here waiting for Jeremy Burgess and Valentino Rossi to call me for advice on how to beat Casey Stoner one last time.