FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent point, X! Same even for different parts of the country, as I'm sure you know, especially if you went up I-81 (saw your pic from my stalker buddy in DC) as compared to I-10 in west Texas...

I have a state record for distance flight in a sailplane (a 7h 40min flight). I never knew "external" catheters existed before I started in that sport. They work pretty good if you install them correctly. I've never considered using one on the 'bike, but then again, I've never ridden in competition, so..

^^^^ He (Al Holtsberry) does not have an aux tank. Except for Nav stuff in the cockpit, it looks like a remarkably stock 2014 FJR.
I believe the Ninja 250 does not have an aux tank, either.
I understand the Auxiliary tank benefits - efficiency, fewer stops ... on paper it all looks great. - my bladder is usually in the drivers seat regarding the number of stops.
Which is why the next LD ride - whenever that is - will include a pilot relief accessory...

https://www.totalhomecaresupplies.com/Images/Products/101528.jpg

Some selected pictures courtesy of Tobie at Smugmug.
2015-07-06_18-08-55.jpg
Pretty sure that's Dennis Bitner's colorful leg.

Folks:
I presume Reno John will put this up on his excellent rally page so you won't need to remember this post when it gets down to the 10 hour mark and palms get sweaty.
Cool rubber-band maps Steve! ..and these are now on the countdown page.

Other tweaks as well

* more data sorts including some basic efficiency calcs

* Rider postion +/- CP1 vs CP2

* Interactive map has been improved a bit ...can view bonus details and bonus image.

Countdown Page

Are getting states early-on important in IBR15?

After CP1 these were the riders leading in states:

Barclay 16states

Cowen 13states

Talken-Spaulding 12 states

Crane 12 states

And here is the point ranking change after CP2 for these riders:

Barclay +22 positions

Cowen +18 positions

Talken-Spaulding +22 positions

Crane +16 positions

Now, this is not the whole story, there are other things in the mix and not all riders who got states early faired so well ...but overwhelmingly, most with many states did very well climinb up the ladder.

This hick from reno thinks that state counts leaving CP2 are going to mean even more. ...IMO early states are important in this event. I doubt I'm alone wondering just *HOW* important?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know ODO are recorded at CP but are the beginning and ending ODO readings for every bike ever posted publically anywhere?
Never that I've seen. You can certainly ask the individual motorcycle owners though if it's important to you.

It was an awesome experience greeting the riders in Kingsport. Thanks Uncle Hud for talking me into the trip! Here are a few photos of the day. I tried to capture all the FJR's. I knew who a couple were thanks to this thread, but the only competitor I know is Tony(101stPathfinder). It made my day when he rolled in and smiled and pointed at me when he recognized me.

There were supporters from all over. Canada was well represented:

P1020723_zpsicxptrvz.jpg

A good group of people were there to greet and cheer the riders as they arrived:

P1020724_zpslkcemenj.jpg

Due to a 5:30 group photo bonus a lot of bikes arrived in a short time:

P1020739_zpsodk5llkz.jpg

P1020742_zpsdjfwl7og.jpg

P1020759_zpsivkbzn0d.jpg

And the FJR's:

P1020735_zpsjttskhno.jpg

P1020743_zpsizvycu6s.jpg

P1020744_zpspwaky0dj.jpg

P1020748_zps3nkjppld.jpg

P1020749_zpsqukk81do.jpg

P1020752_zps7f84zl55.jpg

P1020755_zpsrxu1kisp.jpg

P1020760_zpsajfeqtgh.jpg

P1020764_zpsdufxyicv.jpg

P1020765_zpshgveomgc.jpg

One of the most interesting and busy cockpits I saw:

P1020761_zpsjm7h4k1c.jpg

So will the CACO bonus on Cape Cod serve as "Key West North" for this rally? It's a long way out there and back through the beach traffic.

CACO.png

One rider bypassed this to grab a couple in Boston this AM another rider is en route to this or Boston He/she is currently in Rhode island. I guess yesterday I misspoke when I said that the bait was not stinky enough for riders to come up to the North East.

So will the CACO bonus on Cape Cod serve as "Key West North" for this rally? It's a long way out there and back through the beach traffic.
CACO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.