Holeshot Header Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale responded to my (our) pressing question about individual cylinder CO tweaking (with or without rivnuts I asked) and he reiterated that it's a waste of time on a street bike and that there's truly nothing measurable to gain above and beyond what his custom map provides...
I still have trouble believing this. For a motor with individual throttle bodies, this is standard fare. Would it have been a crime to include them when you are building from scratch?

OK, I won't say anymore about this. Dale certainly knows more than me.

-BD

And he said he might include them in the future but that it would raise the cost. Most would pay it, I would have. But I'm just gonna run Dale's map and if it works, then that's it. It's not like I want to jack with all the tuning when really it's already been done.

I misunderstood when Dale was describing them and went away thinking that there was a separate mid piece and there's not. So any CO sniffing would in fact require the rivnuts. That said, careful drilling and installation shouldn't affect the coating/finish.

I just got mine and they're nice. I'll post a pic tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I made the pipe with these they would be neatly weld bugs in each tube.

But way over kill for this application like i said, if you want to intsall them go to it guys.

If you have to tweak my map a little it wont because of the each cylinder issue.

I wanted to let you all know that i have to close down due to a family emergency and should be re open next Tuesday

Thank you all very much

Ride safe

Dale

Sorry to hear of trouble there. Still wish though, that I knew if I'm gonna see mine this week. Oh well.

Concerning removal of the oe header, I was able to remove in about 10 minutes, since the plastic is already off the bike. Remove the lower rad mount bolt, remove the lower hoses at the rad, remove the overflow tank, pull the rad forward at the bottom and secure with a short bungee to the fork. Use 2 3/8 dr extensions and a ujoint in combo with the correct hex key socket and it comes out fast. Don't forget you have an O2 sensor there, either unplug and remove with header (my way), or unscrew it while the header is still securely mounted. Easy as they come. Now for the install.

Well, I assume you're kidding, but I have heard a scoot with no pipes whatsoever, a Honda I repaired, testing to see whether I should go any further or not. It sounds like shit, lotsa "poofs" with no real motor sound at all. :lol: Real hard on exhaust valves to run more than a few seconds like this-they don't like the cold air hitting them when hot.

Fired mine up with no mufflers when I was changing over to the Holeshots. Awful loud but had kind of a cool sound.

radman Posted on Feb 15 2006, 06:04 PM<snip>

....a scoot with no pipes whatsoever.... Real hard on exhaust valves to run more than a few seconds like this-they don't like the cold air hitting them when hot.
Interesting? Any data to back that up? I've often run engines with no exhaust (and, have seen others) with no ill effects whatsoever. Everything's coming out of the head faster'n shit -- and it's all hotter'n hell around there. Where would any cold air come from (assuming it could get in and if it had any effect)? Louder'n hell and certainly poor scavenging -- but I cant see it hurting anything.

radman Posted on Feb 15 2006, 06:04 PM<snip>
....a scoot with no pipes whatsoever.... Real hard on exhaust valves to run more than a few seconds like this-they don't like the cold air hitting them when hot.
Interesting? Any data to back that up? I've often run engines with no exhaust (and, have seen others) with no ill effects whatsoever. Everything's coming out of the head faster'n shit -- and it's all hotter'n hell around there. Where would any cold air come from (assuming it could get in and if it had any effect)? Louder'n hell and certainly poor scavenging -- but I cant see it hurting anything.
We're talking no exhaust whatsoever, exposed exhaust ports here. Whenever a pressure pulse (high pressure) is created, an area of low pressure exists in it's absence. As nature abhors a vacumn, air rushes in to fill this low pressure area. It's this air that can create a problem for a hot exhaust valve. Not something generally seen now, but as racers in the olden days discovered, too short a pipe can create problems beyond poor scavenging.

I am anxious to see if the full system will fit an '06 or if Holeshot will have an '06 version in the near future. If it was an option, I would install the full system and Power Commander on day 1 of owning my '06. I think the removal of the heat trapping cats would be one of the best things I could do for the engine.

too_many_hobbies

Still no photos....what's up with that?  <_<
Didn't you hear... these are Dale's new INVISIBLE model. :lol:
Thats the version I got. Talked to him last Friday, they were being sent out. Here I sit, waiting. I sell a lot of vehicles on EBay. Guess my promptness in customer service is out of date. You spent money? Shut up and wait, I'll get to you eventually. I'm generally not a whiney ****, in fact, I hate whiny fucks. But between Wilbers, who sat on my stuff a week, then sent it sans any specs, now this, credit card billed, no product in hand, I'm starting to wonder...... :dntknw:

Still no photos....what's up with that?  <_<
Didn't you hear... these are Dale's new INVISIBLE model. :lol:
Thats the version I got. Talked to him last Friday, they were being sent out. Here I sit, waiting. I sell a lot of vehicles on EBay. Guess my promptness in customer service is out of date. You spent money? Shut up and wait, I'll get to you eventually. I'm generally not a whiney ****, in fact, I hate whiny fucks. But between Wilbers, who sat on my stuff a week, then sent it sans any specs, now this, credit card billed, no product in hand, I'm starting to wonder...... :dntknw:
Funny,

Mine came so fast I was amazed! The only problem is the weather is so nice here I don't want to stop riding long enough to install them!

Maybe yours are snowed in somewhere?

Eh, could be. But lo and behold, not 2 minutes after I shoot off my big mouth, the 'ol lady comes into my room and says "is this stuff yours?", and hands me a plastic packet of stuff with "Wilbers" written all over it. Doh!!!!!!!!!! :blushing: Evidently, when I opened the box, this fell out unnoticed and the wifey picked it up with the mail and junk, and sat on it till today. So at least I got the specs and instructions and neato stickers. Actually, I think the wife and Klaus are in cahoots to make me out to be an ass. It worked......... :detect:

Eh, could be. But lo and behold, not 2 minutes after I shoot off my big mouth, the 'ol lady comes into my room and says "is this stuff yours?", and hands me a plastic packet of stuff with "Wilbers" written all over it. Doh!!!!!!!!!! :blushing: Evidently, when I opened the box, this fell out unnoticed and the wifey picked it up with the mail and junk, and sat on it till today. So at least I got the specs and instructions and neato stickers. Actually, I think the wife and Klaus are in cahoots to make me out to be an ass. It worked......... :detect:
:haha: :asshat2: :D :bleh:

How about the weight? Any idea how much lighter the header is compared to stock? Weight reduction would be a big selling point to me.
I would guess there is no way it weighs 5lbs. less. Weight reduction on an FJR? LOL

radman  Posted on Feb 15 2006, 06:04 PM<snip>
We're talking no exhaust whatsoever, exposed exhaust ports here. Whenever a pressure pulse (high pressure) is created, an area of low pressure exists in it's absence. As nature abhors a vacumn, air rushes in to fill this low pressure area. It's this air that can create a problem for a hot exhaust valve. Not something generally seen now, but as racers in the olden days discovered, too short a pipe can create problems beyond poor scavenging.
Although your name is too long, I'm with charismaticmegafauna on this one...

-BD

Hi guys

Bad news, turns out my header will not fit all brand X slip-ons !

I did not originally plan to sell the header to guys with other brand x slip-ons , but decided to as a courtesy.

I did not know that other companies would choke down the front connector tube of the slip-ons when produced.

I did not want to restrict the flow at all, so mine are in fact larger to run the original gaskets in the slip-on form and without them with my header installed.

The header will also work fine for a few that want to run the stock mufflers. To do so you will not use the gaskets.

So if you bought my header and have a brand X set of slip-ons that wont fit I have a couple options to try to make you happy.

1.Sell your slip-ons you have now, and i will give you a discount on my set.

2.Contact me and you can return your header for a full refund.

I will not be changing my header to fit the smaller size tubes on brand X slip-ons.

The above offer is to those that have only bought the header already, not future orders

Thank you

Dale :p