Let's go to Arkansas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gang, I rode to KC yesterday with FJR1300 & he mentioned this gathering. Since I live in MO I had not been reading the TX threads. I am very seriously looking at showing up also. I understand that the Super 8 may be filled for the Thurs-Monday dates. I have not called yet but assume it to be so. If true I was wondering where the most riders will be staying if not at the Super 8? Any comments or suggestions would be helpfull. It sounds like a good group & also a good place to ride.

Question #2:

i've got J&M, so i'll be on the CB.
What channel will you be monitioring while riding? Can we set a common area/ride channel? Your call. Also perhaps a Chatterbox channel for those with those type units.

Ride safe. Ron

Hi Gang, I rode to KC yesterday with FJR1300 & he mentioned this gathering. Since I live in MO I had not been reading the TX threads. I am very seriously looking at showing up also. I understand that the Super 8 may be filled for the Thurs-Monday dates. I have not called yet but assume it to be so. If true I was wondering where the most riders will be staying if not at the Super 8? Any comments or suggestions would be helpfull. It sounds like a good group & also a good place to ride.Question #2:

i've got J&M, so i'll be on the CB.
What channel will you be monitioring while riding? Can we set a common area/ride channel? Your call. Also perhaps a Chatterbox channel for those with those type units.

Ride safe. Ron
PM sent about the hotel. And yeah, when it gets a bit closer here, we'll nail down frequencies, routes, gps data and all the details.

Less than a month boys!! :yahoo: Here's a teaser! Talimena Parkway

Last edited by a moderator:
Talimena Parkway
img3168cr1.jpg
Don't think I've been on this road... where is it?

This is Hwy 1, runs west from Mena, AR into OK towards Talihina. The DFW riders are gonna hit this on the way to Russellville on Friday afternoon. If the rest of you have time, I hear it's highly recommended.

This is Hwy 1, runs west from Mena, AR into OK towards Talihina.
I might have to check it out.

I know Bounce posted the 10-Day forecast a while back, but I was a little curious about the October averages for the area.

Russellville, AR

October

Average Hi 75

Average Lo 47

Record Hi 99

Record Lo 23

Looks like there are a few variables in that range. Snow would be fun... huh?

This is the list I am sending to the Best Western this weekend:

Double Queen Rooms (2):

fjrchik & bounce - Michelle Syverson & Mark Johnson – Friday night – Monday morning

fjr1300 & galaxyblue - Marc Haycook & Adam Kryger – Thursday night – Sunday morning

Single King Rooms (8):

fjrrider - Scott Tipton – Thursday night – Monday morning

beardo - Kiley Beard – Thursday night – Monday morning

ronfjr06 - Ron Brown – Thursday night – Monday morning

ronbb - Ron Bowman – Thursday night – Monday morning

dbx - Jeff Delzer – Friday night – Monday morning

tejasfjr - Marcos Veloz – Friday night – Sunday morning

fjrayj - Ray Jones – Friday night – Sunday morning

ericr - Eric Rullan – Friday night – Sunday morning

Others that aren't listed on here but have made their own reservations include:

foggy

nosecone

SMC

lotecredneck and friends

I haven't heard from mbottoms who indicated he's coming. If anyone knows him and wants to light a fire under him to reply to the PM i sent him, please feel free to help me out.

If anything above is incorrect - please let me know and I'll get it fixed!

This is the list I am sending to the Best Western this weekend:

Double Queen Rooms (2):

Michelle Syverson & Mark Johnson – Friday night – Monday morningMarc Haycook & Adam Kryger – Thursday night – Sunday morning

Single King Rooms (8):

Scott Tipton – Thursday night – Monday morning

Kiley Beard – Thursday night – Monday morning

Ron Brown – Thursday night – Monday morning

Ron Bowman – Thursday night – Monday morning

Jeff Delzer – Friday night – Monday morning

Marcos Veloz – Friday night – Sunday morning

Ray Jones – Friday night – Sunday morning

Eric Rullan – Friday night – Sunday morning

Others that aren't listed on here but have made their own reservations include:

Foggy

Nosecone

SMC

lotecredneck and friends
Fjrchik, Thank you so very much for all of your efforts.

How about the online names i.e. Ron Bowman AKA RonBB

(we can each do this & save Fjrchik some work & help to get to know who is whom! How about it?)

no prob, your welcome. names done.

Route thoughts:

AR-27 between Dover and Tilly is a prime piece of road. It starts about 10 miles north of Russellville via AR-7, which is also a fun road. And speaking of AR-7, if you head north out of Russellville toward Jasper, you'll go right by the Cliffhouse, which is a great place to stop for lunch.

Russellville to Tilly via Dover: about 46 miles

Russellville to Cliffhouse (Jasper): about 66 miles

Neither are far enough by themselves, but either would make a fine start/end to a ride loop, and both are north of Russellville so they could easily be combined.

IIRC this spot is just west of Mena on the Arkansas side. Looking west, I believe.
Sweet!

FJRayJ
Correct, this is what you see as you head west out of Mena at the beginning of the ride. IMHO, what you see in the pic is the best part of the road. The rest is no slouch, but this part is way sweet. :D

66 miles to lunch? I'm hoping it won't be that short of a day. ;-)

here are some ideas I have for routes.

280 miles (includes 123)

figure-8.jpg

179 miles (includes 123)

loop-123.jpg

283 miles (the entire "pig trail" to the state line)

loop-pig-trail.jpg

342 miles (includes Push Mountain)

loop-push-mt.jpg

Hope this gives everyone some ideas. I've incorporated some suggestions others have made, but more are always welcome,

The plan is to have a set of route maps for everyone (I hope). Everyone can get a set that will fit in the map pocket of your tank bags. Mix and match. Grab some fellow riders and go. Talk about a place to meet up for lunch between those groups that want to pick a like route and that way there are mid point gab fests for everyone even if they ride in a group with a different pace than someone else.

I'm thinking keep the groups to 5 or 6 bikes each (even if multiple groups ride the same route) and groups of like-minded riders together (fast, medium, slow) so that the cruiser-cluster syndrome is minimized as well as any frustration of riding with a group that's faster/slower than you like.

Of course I'm just tossing out ideas and everyone is welcome to make other suggestions. My personal opinion is that I don't want things to get over organized; keeping it more informal than some of the larger xFO meetings have become. A riding weekend instead of an "event". Again, that's just me and I could be all wet.

Speak up folks about what your expectations are.

sfo2006.gif

i got 2 FJR caps to give away. now if i could just think of some sort of contest to determine who gets them...... :lol: :p just kidding!

i was just wondering tonight if we want to do a group supper somewhere on saturday night? or keep it less formal than that and figure it out when we get there? maybe go out to eat in smaller groups so we don't need reservations and it maybe cheaper. we can all be together back the hotel for tire kicking and adult beverage consumption time after supper.

i like bounce's ideas about the rides though. but tell us what you want!

here are some ideas I have for routes.

280 miles (includes 123)

figure-8.jpg

179 miles (includes 123)

loop-123.jpg

283 miles (the entire "pig trail" to the state line)

loop-pig-trail.jpg

342 miles (includes Push Mountain)

loop-push-mt.jpg

Hope this gives everyone some ideas. I've incorporated some suggestions others have made, but more are always welcome,

The plan is to have a set of route maps for everyone (I hope). Everyone can get a set that will fit in the map pocket of your tank bags. Mix and match. Grab some fellow riders and go. Talk about a place to meet up for lunch between those groups that want to pick a like route and that way there are mid point gab fests for everyone even if they ride in a group with a different pace than someone else.

I'm thinking keep the groups to 5 or 6 bikes each (even if multiple groups ride the same route) and groups of like-minded riders together (fast, medium, slow) so that the cruiser-cluster syndrome is minimized as well as any frustration of riding with a group that's faster/slower than you like.

Of course I'm just tossing out ideas and everyone is welcome to make other suggestions. My personal opinion is that I don't want things to get over organized; keeping it more informal than some of the larger xFO meetings have become. A riding weekend instead of an "event". Again, that's just me and I could be all wet.

Speak up folks about what your expectations are.

Looks great, Bounce.

What are the purple routes?

FJRayJ

Should we plan a Gerlachfest type of contest to have people EARN their cap?

Barbie shooting is right out, so yet another reason to put on your thinking caps.

What are the purple routes? - FJRayJ
the routes shown in the other pics. (when not "selected" in the software.)

i was just wondering tonight if we want to do a group supper somewhere on saturday night? or keep it less formal than that and figure it out when we get there? maybe go out to eat in smaller groups so we don't need reservations and it maybe cheaper. we can all be together back the hotel for tire kicking and adult beverage consumption time after supper.
I vote for an informal group dinner on Saturday night, figuring it out when we get there, like maybe a steak house. I think we'll be able to find a place that can handle the group.

If we do decide to split into two groups and one group is the sushi group, then I'm in the other group. ;)

I vote for an informal group dinner on Saturday night, figuring it out when we get there, like maybe a steak house. I think we'll be able to find a place that can handle the group.

If we do decide to split into two groups and one group is the sushi group, then I'm in the other group. ;)

I'm with you, DBX.

The best fish is Rainbow Trout breaded and fried in lard on the bank of the White River about 30 minutes after catching it.

FJRayJ

No one said anything about making a beeline up there. :) Some of your routes have us going right by the Cliffhouse, and they have a view there second to none. Good food, too, but if it doesn't fit the plan, that's fine.

+1, that's exactly how I like to do it.

:unsure: Everything sounds great so far as far as possible routes, meeting for informal meals and gab sessions and breaking down into like minded groups, fast, medium and slow riders.

Now here's the question from someone who hasn't ridden with a group at all: How do you know your "placement" in such a large group?

I've been a lone wolf for the last thirty years.

I know for a fact that I probably can't hold a candle to some of you Valentini Rossi's as I have never been to a riding school ala Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwanz etc., etc. and don't know the finer points of shifting the body off the seat and grinding the knee pucks on the pavement, nor do I ever intend to find myself popping wheelies or stoppies.

I like my life the way it is and don't intend to become a statistic on some life insurance actuary table.

Having said that, I'm not exactly Wilber Milktoast either.

I'm a competitive person having ski raced for ten years.

I don't find myself doing the posted speed limits very often and given the right conditions can become involved in a "spirited ride" (witnessed by my temporary loss of sanity and adrenaline filled ride from Ouray, CO. to Silverton, CO over Red Mountain pass, whereby I started some distance behind seven other motorcycles...3 Harleys, 1 Goldwing, 1 BMW K1200, 1 Kawasaki 636, and a Honda CBR1000RR and managed to catch them and pass them all over 23 miles of twisty mountainous roads.)

We're all here to have fun, meet other FJR owners, and enjoy each other's company with maybe a photo or two to be used as incriminating evidence?

So how does one "rate" oneself if you have never ridden with a group before, i.e., slow, medium or fast?

When it is all said and done, we all want to have a great time. I would also surmise that everyone wants to go home with fond memories and NO MISS-HAPS, due to oblivious cagers or the testosterone filled one upmanship factor present in some two wheel gatherings.

Scott