Let's go to Arkansas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking there's always room for one more. I would suggest you make your own room reservations (the info is earlier in this thread). It wouldn't be fair to FJRChik to expect her to do it and hold on to it so long for this uncertanty.

--Update on the tires--

It was about a month or two ago that I noticed the wear bars starting to show (not worn to them). For reasons discussed elswhere, I've ridden very little since then (perhaps under 200 miles). From that I figured I surely had an AR trip left in the tires. Seems the Avons wear faster in their last 3rd than their first 3rd like most other tires. I posted my surprise to see "near bald" in some parts of the center of the tread. More unusual was the apparent deeper tread in the same area of the tread at different parts of the circumferance of the tire.

Just to make sure it wasn't a misperception on my part, I went out and got a tread depth gauge (I needed one anyway). After measuring at similar tread locations around the circumferance, I got remaining tread ranging from 2/32nds down to 0/32nds. yep, you read that right. Although there appeared to be enough tread left, it's measuring in some places as bald; just a shadow of its original pattern remains. I'll leave it to others to determine if that variance is atypical or not.

Once again, T-CLOCK has proved it's usefulness! Get that bike up on the center stand and check the WHOLE tire; not just spot checking one place as you walk by.

7193 miles on this set of Avons.

(Knowing everyone's riding styles are different) the 2 sets of Pilot Roads I've been through in the past still had significant tread left when I swapped them early at 8000 and 9200 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking there's always room for one more. I would suggest you make your own room reservations (the info is earlier in this thread). It wouldn't be fair to FJRChik to expect her to do it and hold on to it so long for this uncertanty.
--Update on the tires--

It was about a month or two ago that I noticed the wear bars starting to show (not worn to them). For reasons discussed elswhere, I've ridden very little since then (perhaps under 200 miles). From that I figured I surely had an AR trip left in the tires. Seems the Avons wear faster in their last 3rd than their first 3rd like most other tires. I posted my surprise to see "near bald" in some parts of the center of the tread. More unusual was the apparent deeper tread in the same area of the tread at different parts of the circumferance of the tire.

Just to make sure it wasn't a misperception on my part, I went out and got a tread depth gauge (I needed one anyway). After measuring at similar tread locations around the circumferance, I got remaining tread ranging from 2/32nds down to 0/32nds. yep, you read that right. Although there appeared to be enough tread left, it's measuring in some places as bald; just a shadow of its original pattern remains. I'll leave it to others to determine if that variance is atypical or not.

Once again, T-CLOCK has proved it's usefulness! Get that bike up on the center stand and check the WHOLE tire; not just spot checking one place as you walk by.

(Knowing everyone's riding styles are different) the 2 sets of Pilot Roads I've been through in the past still had significant tread left when I swapped them early at 8000 and 9200 miles.
:rolleyes: Thanks Bounce, as per your instructions, I will make that reservation on my own, as FJRchik has enough to worry about, was wondering if you all have reservations at Best Western in Russelville for the evening of October 6th and the evening of October 7th. Or are you just staying there one night?

Thanks, Scott

I'm leaving my options open and could be staying Sat and Sun night. The plans for most people are for a Sun departure (from what I've been reading).

A lot of it has to do with how my knee holds up since this is my first ride of any kind since my surgery.

--Update on the tires--

:rolleyes: Thanks Bounce, as per your instructions, I will make that reservation on my own, as FJRchik has enough to worry about, was wondering if you all have reservations at Best Western in Russelville for the evening of October 6th and the evening of October 7th. Or are you just staying there one night?

Thanks, Scott
@SMC I believe most people are spending the night of the 6th and 7the at the Best Western in Russellville. I've already made my reservations and I will be staying there on the 5th and the 8th as well... then heading home on the 9th. I believe there are a few also spending the night there the 5th and 8th as well. I'm not so sure about the 8th, but a couple people have said they are staying there the 5th.

BeardO

--Update on the tires--

Thanks, Scott
@SMC I believe most people are spending the night of the 6th and 7the at the Best Western in Russellville. I've already made my reservations and I will be staying there on the 5th and the 8th as well... then heading home on the 9th. I believe there are a few also spending the night there the 5th and 8th as well. I'm not so sure about the 8th, but a couple people have said they are staying there the 5th.

BeardO
:rolleyes: Thanks Beardo, I really do appreciate the information and will now attempt to get a room for the nights of October 6th and 7th @ the Best Western in Russelville.

i really really really want to stay til monday. so i'm gonna. :p
Had enough of all the wishy washy, huh? :clapping:

Sometimes you just gotta make an announcement. :p
yep. :D after my 265-mile ride (pie run) on saturday that was almost completely unfulfilling, i know this is now a must. i don't care if i ride home alone or not. i want sweepers and curves and twisties. and lots of them! :lol:

Looks like the frustration of only being able to do one of those loops before going home may have been resolved! :yahoo: :clapping:

i really really really want to stay til monday. so i'm gonna. :p
Had enough of all the wishy washy, huh? :clapping:

Sometimes you just gotta make an announcement. :p
yep. :D after my 265-mile ride (pie run) on saturday that was almost completely unfulfilling, i know this is now a must. i don't care if i ride home alone or not. i want sweepers and curves and twisties. and lots of them! :lol:
I'm glad to hear you're going to stay till Monday. It sounds like there will be at least three of us staying to enjoy yet another day of great AR twisties!!!

@FJRRIDER From your previous posts it sounds like you're staying till Monday... is that correct?

I'm glad to hear you're going to stay till Monday. It sounds like there will be at least three of us staying to enjoy yet another day of great AR twisties!!!
@FJRRIDER From your previous posts it sounds like you're staying till Monday... is that correct?
I'm mostly planning to stay till Monday...unless you kids wear me out before then. :lol:

I'm mostly planning to stay till Monday...unless you kids wear me out before then. :lol:
There we go... sounds like we're going to have a decent size group now staying till Monday. Don't worry about being the only one worn out!!! I'm sure that my 'ol stock seat is not going to be feeling that comfortable after several days of serious riding. It'll be worth it though... no pain, no gain! :diablo:

I am not sure about the monday thing... I will have to play it by ear.

Looking foreward to meeting everyone there!

Adam

I wanted to, then it looked like everyone else was heading home on Sunday. So if now there are a few others that want more, then I'm all in for another ride Sunday. So I'll stay Sunday night and ride home Monday. Those of you that are going back to the DFW area on Monday, I'll ride with you to ??? (depends on route) then split off.

I wanted to, then it looked like everyone else was heading home on Sunday. So if now there are a few others that want more, then I'm all in for another ride Sunday. So I'll stay Sunday night and ride home Monday. Those of you that are going back to the DFW area on Monday, I'll ride with you to ??? (depends on route) then split off.
i'll take you up on that. riding all the way back alone was my only concern about staying til Monday but i'm over it. i wanna stay the extra day. instances like these are the reason i don't have a real job! :lol:

I'll be riding up Thursday and returning to the DFW area Monday. I will gladly join anyone riding those days if we can work out the time/meeting place.

John

Me and the boys in blue will be hangin at the borders with radar detectors and donuts.....careful, kids.