My 2013 FJR has arrived.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that ain't flybywire...them's mechinikal.
Hrm...is an actuator driving those or are those going to a sensor? Surely it's not a complete mechanical connection all the way down. Fly by wire makes the cruise control much easier from the production side.

They are cables all the way down to what seems to be some kind of actuator under the right side of the throttle bodies, there is a spring there too.

It is my understanding that the same setup is on the R1 and the Tenere..

R

Last edited by a moderator:
They are cables all the way down to what seems to be some kind of actuator under the right side of the throttle bodies, there is a spring there too.

It is my understanding that the same setup is on the R1 and the Tenere..

R
How is the throttle action?

Light?

Lighter than a gen 2 (which was too heavy)...

oh yes, way lighter than even my 08 which was unwound twice.

R
November 2012 issue (back cover) of Motorcycle Consumer News:

Nye Damping Grease #774VH

For fly by wire throttles with so little friction just the jostling of the bike can change the settings. This Grease increases friction between 2 surfaces with such a smooth flow feel as to be very effective. Just remove the grip and smear some on the inside of the twist grip and some on the handlebar. It never hardens or drys out and heat does not affect it.

Mention you are a reader of MCN and the price is $24.95 for a 100gram tube (smallest avail) which plenty to share with others.

https://www.nyelubricants.com/products/damping.shtml

From your photos and Yamaha parts diagrams I noticed another significant change in the engine.

The sensor mounted on the head cover looking down at the position of the exhaust camshaft has been relocated on the 2013. That sensor has been moved to the intake camshaft. It's now positioned between cylinders 1 & 2. It doesn't look down at a cam lobe anymore. The intake cam has been modified and a separate notched position disc has been added just for the operation of the relocated sensor.

The intake valves have also been changed. Wonder if they increased their diameter slightly to get a bit more power?

Did you happen to notice if they changed the way they do the grounding blocks or are they the same as the GenIIs? I can't be the only one wondering.

Wiring harness info isn't shown on the parts diagrams. Even the wiring schematics in the service manuals don't break out the connections which failed in the daisy-chained ground return bus.

It's highly likely they've corrected that problem. Several had their harnesses changed out. I would imagine that got the attention of the FJR designers.

Did you happen to notice if they changed the way they do the grounding blocks or are they the same as the GenIIs? I can't be the only one wondering.
Not sure why everyone is so concerned with this??? Yamaha fixed the wiring harness grounding block issues starting with the 2010 FJR.

Not sure why everyone is so concerned with this??? Yamaha fixed the wiring harness grounding block issues starting with the 2010 FJR.

I guess I'll have to do some searching to see how they did that exactly. I hope it was more than just adding the cheesy recall harness.

BTW, it's a pretty simple question that I'm asking...did they use the same grounding blocks as the GenIIs?

Not sure why everyone is so concerned with this???
Yeah, really! Any Gen II pilot will tell you how perfect and 100% electrically trouble-free their bikes are, so what's the big deal?

Yeah, really! Any Gen II pilot will tell you how perfect and 100% electrically trouble-free their bikes are, so what's the big deal?
First of all when the Gen 2 bikes came out, nobody knew there would be grounding issues. The motorcycle press hailed the Gen2 FJR as the perfect improvement to an already great motorcycle. Second, just what the hell were we supposed to buy from '06 to '12 instead of an FJR? Were we supposed to buy a Concours 14? Or were we supposed to just wait for the unknown future FJR that would be completely perfect?

I truly hope the Gen3 is a completely troublefree bike. I hope it sets the standard by which all other Sport Touring motorcycles are judged. If it turns out to have some unforseen issue in a couple years will all those singing its praise now turn and curse it for garbage? Let's hope not.

First of all when the Gen 2 bikes came out, nobody knew there would be grounding issues. The motorcycle press hailed the Gen2 FJR as the perfect improvement to an already great motorcycle. Second, just what the hell were we supposed to buy instead of an FJR? Were we supposed to buy a Concours 14? Or were we supposed to just wait for the unknown future FJR that would be completely perfect?

I truly hope the Gen3 is a completely troublefree bike. I hope it sets the standard by which all other Sport Touring motorcycles are judged. If it turns out to have some unforseen issue in a couple years will all those singing its praise now turn and curse it for garbage? Let's hope not.
Red since you are a really good guy and we like you a lot, let me tell you something we "Certified Old Farts" on our Fine FJR Forum learned a long, long time ago! Arguing with RadioHowie is like teaching a pig how to sing, it is a total and complete waste of your time; and most importantly, it annoys the living **** out of the pig! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Speak for yourself, beemerboi.....I don't like red and I don't like you. I don't even like RH. He's a douchebag.

...on the other hand.......I don't dislike youins either.

Red since you are a really good guy and we like you a lot, let me tell you something we "Certified Old Farts" on our Fine FJR Forum learned a long, long time ago! Arguing with RadioHowie is like teaching a pig how to sing, it is a total and complete waste of your time; and most importantly, it annoys the living **** out of the pig! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
Beemerdons, as always you impress me with your wisdom and good judgement. I too have learned the futility of arguing with RadioHowie, and therefore have no intention of diverting this excellent thread with such a waste of everyone's time. May I ask you though, exactly what is the downside of " it annoys the living **** out of the pig". It would seem that is precisely what the pig wants. ;)

Beemerdons, as always you impress me with your wisdom and good judgement. I too have learned the futility of arguing with RadioHowie, and therefore have no intention of diverting this excellent thread with such a waste of everyone's time. May I ask you though, exactly what is the downside of " it annoys the living **** out of the pig". It would seem that is precisely what the pig wants. ;)
This is the Eternally Unanswered FJR Forum question Red: What does RadioHowie want? I have been here for almost six years now and I still do not have the faintest idea, "Why is there air?"!

the%2Beternal%2Bquestion.jpg