My 2013 FJR has arrived.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know what Fred you might be right, i was looking at the spacers on the right side of the page, these are not going to work with and kind of light bracket though as there will be too much flapping around.

R
I think I know what you mean. The old brackets used to be partly supported by resting against the front of the faring. Might have to design some new brackets with that added support built in somehow?

So we finally get "flash to pass" on our high beam switch! Yeah baby!
Yeh!! That way we can hack into the wiring and make the perfect B2B-PTT switch! ;)

Congrats fellas! Beautiful machine. I'm glad the first g3's went to a couple of guys that aren't afraid to tear into their bikes and report back to the masses. I'm very interested to hear more about the suspension which IMHO has been the FJR's biggest flaw. This is the first I'd heard that rebound and compression damping adjustments are each ssigned to a single fork leg. Indicates a redesign of the valving, hopefully for the better. I'm even more hopeful that the shock has been upgraded. Is it 2 way adjustable now or still rebound only? Yamaha has been using substandard suspension for too long, I'm hoping they are finally stepping up. I would like to have seen the USD fork on this bike, but the Soqi fork can be made to perform quite nicely. Warchild and Fairlaner, I await your full report.

well i think with the new ECO mode the Gen3 will need less fuel...

Also i just discovered my Skyway sliders won't fit....BooHoo...$70 anyone?

Heli triple clamp looks like it will fit...

Same room under the seat as 08...

New Screen yes

hand gaurds maybe not, never had heated grips so i will see how they work.

The suspension i liked, will not change anything just yet.

smoothness was great, but i only had it in touring so far, will give it a better run tomorrow.

Definate improvement in MPG while in ECO mode...twist the grip and ECO mode is gone though...

As far as tickets go it has been a long time since i got a ticket on a bike......in fact it was not long after i got the 08 :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

R
Any change in the clutch feel?

It feels a bit lighter to me, then again, I am used to 100,000 miles on the original 2002 (calendar year) Gen I bike.

Hard to believe it's been a full decade.... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
First congrats on getting the new FRJ!! :) Its such a good looking bike. Now you've got me thinking about seeing if I can afford to trade up my brand new 2012 to the 2013. Figures that I buy the bike right before they revamp it, and all all the things that I want now, like cruise control!! :blink:

Congratulation! Wish you many problems free miles.

I am thinking on updating of my 07' next year. I wanted Upside down fork and electronic suspension but according what I have seen on net, this features will not be available on A version (just on AS which is not what I want). So I am not sure if I will stay with mamayama.

Richard, is there a TPM system on the bike?
I'm not Richard, nor do I play him on TV.... :lol:

I assume you are referring to a Tire Pressure Monitoring system, and no, the GenIII does not have this from the factory.

With the options available on the display, can you switch from miles/gallons/°F/MPH to km/litres/°C/KPH?? Temperature and distance switching were available on the Gen I and not on the Gen II. Wondering if they brought it back for the Gen III?

ok so the tank is now off.....

The tank comes off just the same as the Gen2, when you get it off the only difference is this.....

The throttle cables on the right side.

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

No more nasty huge spark plug boots that take up so much room, now we have what looks like individual coil packs on each plug with a nice little plug attached....

file-3.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-4.jpg

The fuel connector appears to be the same as do the vent lines.

file-5.jpg

The throttle cables are connected to the right side of the TB's but i can't see whats underneath....

file-6.jpg

View from the top...

file-7.jpg

Seems to be a lot more room under there now.

R

So does the '13 run like a raped ape GEN 1??
When set in "Sport" mode, yes, the bike is comparable to the 2003 GenI bike.

The throttle hit is more tame in "Tour" mode, and my suspicion is that the MPG is a bit better, as a consequence (speculation here).

Me, I believe I am done dinking around under the hood for now. I am going to reassemble my GenIII tonight, and start cranking out some miles. I want to wrap up the initial 600-mile maintenance by Sunday.

So does the '13 run like a raped ape GEN 1??
When set in "Sport" mode, yes, the bike is comparable to the 2003 GenI bike.

The throttle hit is more tame in "Tour" mode, and my suspicion is that the MPG is a bit better, as a consequence (speculation here).

Me, I believe I am done dinking around under the hood for now. I am going to reassemble my GenIII tonight, and start cranking out some miles. I want to wrap up the initial 600-mile maintenance by Sunday.
What's required for the 600-mile maintenance?