NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
38 miles from Montrose. The pavement on this stretch is nice and smooth (yes it's a great area to ride)
smile.png

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.5333222,-107.5546274/Blue+Mesa+Reservoir,+Colorado,+92+US-50,+Colorado+81230,+United+States/@38.4626892,-107.518018,19867m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x873f766813bcdc63:0xfcd200f42c0bcdbb!2m2!1d-107.324752!2d38.451975?hl=en
I've ridden most of the good rides in Colorado, and 92 is my favorite. One Saturday morning before Father's Day I left Montrose headed for Denver, and rode for over an hour on it to Crawford. I met 1 vehicle.

I still come back after riding it a half dozen times over the years.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just there last summer. I rode that road. And yes, as stated ^^^, very low on traffic. Beautiful views also. The biggest traffic jam I got into the day I rode through there..... Was cowboys on a cattle drive. Made. My. Day.

If any of you guys have good loops or local knowledge, PM me. I'm trying to put together routes and sights to see.

I was just there last summer. I rode that road. And yes, as stated ^^^, very low on traffic. Beautiful views also.The biggest traffic jam I got into the day I rode through there..... Was cowboys on a cattle drive. Made. My. Day.
Wonder if it was the same guys I saw a couple of years ago on that stretch? Had cattle trucks waiting. Waved me on thru the herd, no biggie.

Don't know how they knew I'm an exceptional rider.
rolleyes.gif

Rode this on my 2013 trip...I look forward to riding it again as it is a sweet piece of road. When I ran it, I encountered little to no traffic.
biggrin.png

IMG_2600-L.jpg

IMG_2611-L.jpg

IMG_2615-L.jpg

My favorite highway
12471457_1733934536829899_221137417336600152_o.jpg
CO92

No guardrail and a 3k foot drop. Could go off the edge and say a couple of hail mary's before stopping at the bottom!

Reservation set. Looking forward to riding in my favorite state again.

Marty, here's another loop you can add to your list:

Rt 50 east out of Montrose to Rt. 149 by the Blue Mesa Reservoir, south on 149 through Lake City & Creede (good place to stop for lunch) to South Fork, west on Rt. 160 to Durango, and then, of course, up Rt. 550 Million Dollar Hwy back to Montrose. From Montrose it's a long day but doable at about 360 miles. AJ and a few others from this group did it with Don and I and a few other AZBeemers back in July of '13

Well, my room is booked. This will be my second get-together with people from the forum. I'm looking forward to meeting more of you jokers and seeing some of the ones I met last year in Spearfish! I promise not to drop the bike this time!

I will say, being from Colorado, it's interesting to see the enthusiasm you folks have for this area. I guess those of us that live here tend to take it for granted. I have only had my FJR for a bit over a year and haven't gotten down to this area, so I'm probably just as excited to ride these roads as the rest of you! Now I just need to decide if I can afford to do the Red Lodge meet as well! But I sure wasn't going to miss this one! Going to be a long 202 days!

Burns1

Booked the room today, now I just need to get some overtime and take the days off as soon as they release my schedule for the summer.

I just increased the number of rooms in the room block. I encourage you to make reservations as soon as possible. The rate is refundable until 4PM the day of, so there is really no risk to you.

The reason I'm encouraging you to make your reservation is so I can keep expanding the room block. They block rooms in a kind of "rolling" fashion. I'm trying to keep 10-15 rooms ahead of the current count... The blocked rooms drop off a month (June 28th) before the event.

NAFO INFO LINK

The desk clerk could tell me at the time I booked, so do you know if they will do a rate on the days before or after the event?

And this information helps us all how? Seriously, what's the point of posting this? Am I supposed to post the contract to prove the rate exists? I don't see how posts like this help anybody. How about actually trying to do what the clerk suggested before posting non-helpful/negative information...

The rate exists, Montrose is a great place to stay, the riding is going to be incredible, and the friendship and camaraderie can't be beat.

When I called Saturday night the clerk said she didn't show special rates for the FJR rally group and that I should call back during the day which I haven't done yet.

I was gonna try my best to get Line and I down there. But with the exchange rate at sub .70 a 10+ day trip through the states is pretty much out of the question this year.

I've been trying to get my wife to go to one of these.....events...for several years without success. I got her interested in this one, and as usual she said, " Maybe I'll go."

But then I told her who all are coming.

She said,"OK, I'll go anyway." Looks like I'll have some adult supervision this trip.

She probably thinks it will be like "Wild Hogs" or something. Whatever.