Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it's because your were two up on a Wing. I found it much easier than expected solo on my FJR but I'm used to gravel riding- like in my driveway! 

Target fixation sucks, that ditch would have been a handful.  Interesting road to say the least.
Bug, we did the Burr trail on the FJR 2 up towing a trailer.  Didn't have the wing yet.

I’m sure forum members have been here. It’s in a well known riding area and I’ve seen pictures of this bridge in trip reports  

Anybody friends with FJRBandit? I’ll bet he would recognize it. Or you could scout his trip reports and you would find pics of this bridge along with a place to eat. 

Ok, I've been slow on hints up until now.

There is another popular crossing of this same body of water (which is not a river) 18 miles to the southwest, but in another state. Here are three pictures that should identify this other crossing which should peel away some of the layers of mystery around this clue.

I like to visit that cool sundial when I go through here, but I can't tell whether it an anchor or a treble hook.

Also, I mentioned that there is a "place to eat" by the bridge in the little town of 243. You might think you'd get a cookie there but you'd be better off getting catfish or fried chicken and pie. No one famous is from there but if you were to watch all of Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby, the main character claims to be from that small town. 

Well - I think I got it.

The body of water is Bull Shoals, and the bridge is the one on Hwy 160 crossing it.  This Spring, I learned that while Northwest Arkansas is (and always will be) excellent riding, southern Missouri is pretty good too.

Correct, Pants! On all accounts. They call it the Theodosia Bridge and the little restaurant there is called Cookies. Cookies has a sign that says "A place to eat".  And the ferry crossing is Peel's Ferry.

You are up!

This little section of highway leads you to one of the finest waterfalls in all of Appalachia.  It's a short ride off of a popular highway that runs in and out of Tennessee and North Carolina.  Near this place is a mountain that is popular to roan about. 
fall2019_58-X3.jpg

fall2019_64-X3.jpg

Well - I think I got it.

The body of water is Bull Shoals, and the bridge is the one on Hwy 160 crossing it.  This Spring, I learned that while Northwest Arkansas is (and always will be) excellent riding, southern Missouri is pretty good too.
We rode a lot of 160 across the bottom of MO in 2017 but we missed this. This year, on our way to Roaring River SP, we turned off the "main  roads" to dodge some t-storms and found some GREAT riding on alphabet roads in southwest MO.

When I first saw the pic it looked like a familiar scene near Tellico Plains, but no waterfall there and then with the mtn hint, the simplest guess is 261/143 headed up to Roan mountain. I'm not sure that's right because of the waterfall, though.  

That's close enough. The photo was taken on Elk River Road, which is very close to the community of Roan Mountain.  The falls are the Elk River Falls, and they are not to be missed.  The "road" hint I offered is Hwy 19E, which is a great Appalachian road.

Next.... 

Me crossing a famous body of water like it should be done.  

Mrs1911 crossing it chicken style.    

I’ve given this away elsewhere but it is interesting, if too easy I think. Name the body of water.