New Policy We Should Adopt?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicely said Senator ionbeam! That said, I object (haven't posted so however) to the dickwads who immediately jump on a newbie with the implied message that while I grudgingly welcome you aboard, you're a friggin' idiot and will never be as smart as me. I do not have any objection whatsoever to the posts that provide a welcome and advice/direction on using the search feature. I've seen both types of posts, probably more of the former than the latter.

My suggestion to newbies who get the dickwad reply is to mutter "what a dickhead" to yourself and wait a bit, someone will come along and help you out.

That's what I think.

:clapping:
Came across this at the TivoCommunity forum. Maybe we should consider adopting it? :glare:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems we have a lot of members with nothing better to do with their time than to reply to new members with things like "Search the forum" and "Read the manual". These replies will now be getting you suspended. The average Joe doesn't have time to sit around an internet forum for hours on end. I know I don't and I work here. They just have a question they'd like answered. Either answer it or move along to the next thread. This forum was built for people to help others, not to tell them they should be able to find the answer without asking. Keep in mind, you only get two suspensions before your account is closed. It takes less time to answer a question (and even less to walk away) than to come up with a sarcastic reply that seems witty to you.
Good point. I for one have no time for the post whore smart asses. How about a Forum poll on the subject?

sounds good to me, i think the search function is not what it should be. not knocking it, just saying that the collective human intelligence on the list is better than the search function.
Hi, I am new at this and want to know if the search button is on the handle bar? I have a 2005 and can't seem to find it. Can I use the search button to find my missing socks?

Good point. I for one have no time for the post whore smart asses. How about a Forum poll on the subject?
You can have a poll if you want one, but remember that this is not a democracy. We are guests here.

Personally, I think we have a pretty good community here. It's not easy to find a good balance between restrictive and out of control, but we have it here.

I like the idea of ignoring posts that I don't like for whatever reason. There have been a couple of times when I got a response that seemed overly rude, but it is difficult to communicate feelings in writing and I don't think the rudeness was intentional. It takes real writing talent to express yourself well in print and most of us are not writers. The best thing to do is simply ignore the posts that you don't want to read and enjoy the ones you like. The software even lets you ignore particular posters if that's what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am new at this and want to know if the search button is on the handle bar? I have a 2005 and can't seem to find it. Can I use the search button to find my missing socks?
It's right next to the Easy Button!!

JW

I am one of those strange people who enjoys the challenge of a good search, and often end up heading down a completely different path when I go there. I am mostly here to learn….and learn I have. The Google method does give me better and quicker results, but when I am really interested in a subject, I like to use both...

BTW, I thought the owners manual states that Yamalube is the only oil that will work in an FJR?!?

Yep, Google is my friend.

I run two boards of my own. I hang here the most simply because of the wiseasses and really old farts (sorry TWN) that are here too.

To make a society perfect requires much pussification, then it is no longer viable due to its over pussification.

I am not done talking about my bike....... Wanna race??

Hey, I think everyone here needs a cold beer (jack and ice for TWN, hold the ice)

[SIZE=24pt]GROUP HUG!! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](gitcher phukin hands off my ass noob)[/SIZE]

I say, go F*** yourself you whiny-gash, no sense of humor, thin-skinned, ugly as Scab choad."
Just when I think I'm out...they going draggin' me back in! And, I'll have you know, my blind mother thinks I'm quite attractive.

However, this inevitably comes up as a topic from time to time. But, dayum, grow some skin, peeps. Yeah, it's a tough crowd. So, what? Take your lumps when you need them. If for no other reason, to prove you can. Sheesh, this is no "baptism-by-fire" made special just for you. We ALL went through this same initiation. You peeps act like you've never been introduced to the concept of "hazing." It's just how we seperate the weinies from the dicks.

And for those of you that feel your sarcastic skills are lacking, just memorize a few "catch-all" responses and use them at will.

Some examples:

"**** you and the horse you rode in on."

"Your momma."

"I bet you wouldn't be so hostile if you were heterosexual."

"Bite me."

"Did your mother have any children that lived?"

<sarcasm on>

:haha: :****: You know better and probably should have searched before posting this...

We have already:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

(beaten this dead horse)

You cannot legislate courtesy, or politeness any more than common sense.

<sarcasm off>

This forum is what it is because the participants are FJR riders!

Any nicer and we'll all have to start riding Pacific Coast's or Vespa's!

It is what it is. A cliche in that sentence maybe, but so true.

The forum is made up of people...so that is your answer.

Do you get along with everyone in your family, at work, on the road etc?? I doubt it.

The forum has personalities. If you have no sense of humour, very thin skin, or take the internet serious, you are not going to make it.

Yes there are the extreme butthole surfers, but very good advice was already given...You can ignore certain users, you can refrain from commenting if you don't like the topic or post and look for something else, or can can sit back and giggle.

Take it all in stride and have some chicken soup.

I am sure those who are obnoxious or lash out on the internet are compensating for something else. They don't deserve a rebuttal or a reply.

Not really. In reality, it would desimate the population numbers to approximately 12. Maybe less.

Yeah....when u really think about it, this forum represents the good ole usa...freedom, in god we trust, democracy....then bomb the shit out of someone. Isn`t America great(sic)! :ph34r:

Wow, I guess that's what I get for going to bed early. This thread took off overnight and I'm just now reading it. My thoughts?

Grow some thicker skin. No one forces you to come here. If you don't like the occasional ribbing, go somewhere else. I've been slummin' around here for almost two years and I have yet to see anyone really get flamed.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

This comes up once in awhile and never provides anything positive for the board or its members. I see Iggy is reading - can I suggest a thread closing?

The average Joe doesn't have time to sit around an internet forum for hours on end. I know I don't and I work here. They just have a question they'd like answered. Either answer it or move along to the next thread. This forum was built for people to help others, not to tell them they should be able to find the answer without asking.
I think you envision a Utopian forum.

As soon as you find a way to distinguish between the leech that ONLY asks question and takes from the forum without...and the member that at least contributes occasionally or FNG that will contribute in the future.....well......I'm quite comfortable we're still striking that balance between friendly mocking and knocking leech dicks in the dirt. We don't want leeches and trolls here.

Also, for every person that asks a common question...there's usually a member that actually goes and does a search for them. Why can't the person learn to search to begin with and find that there's a far larger treasure trove of information on this forum than the short-term memory that one gets when they click on View New Posts? Because they don't have time? Maybe they're a leech wanting somebody to satisfy they're whim and should think about contributing more. Having them learn how to search is helping them.

Then again....if somebody wants to be the recipient of information welfare and never do a search...that's fine too? FNG's are given more leniency I think....with higher post individuals going to have to accept the ribbing until somebody comes along to do the search for them. Guideline #6 is alive and well.

And that's also one of the reasons we're not still on the other board my friend. A large number of members are much happier that we can do either searches via the board or alternate searches that are even easier.

....deciding where to move this thread since it's not really about FJRs at all..........found it.