Official SW-FOG 2015 Announcement: 5/28-31, THU-SUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You lost me with that crack of dawn comment.
rolleyes.gif
Whatzamatta Greg? We are fine with picking up on that ride in Kanab with Tyler. Hey Ty! where are we going for breakfast Friday morning?

Here's one more local suggestion for anyone who loves a good steakhouse: Rusty's Ranchhouse Restaurant. It's located just a few minutes' drive from the hotel up Hwy 14. Might be a good place to stop at the end of the day coming down Hwy 14 actually...

Rusty Aiken runs Rusty's and Milt's, another eating establishment farther up the canyon and a little more high falootin' (probably wouldn't feel comfortable rolling in there with a day's worth of bugs and hair snarls, but the staff at Rusty's would look the other way. heheheh). I can personally vouch for the quality prime rib and the fried onion "tumbleweeds" and fry sauce (a Utah delicacy). MMmmmm! Yummy!

Rusty is a fixture in Cedar - he always goes the extra mile to help out with a lot of local fundraisers. (I used to run the art gallery at the university and we staged an art auction fundraiser at Rusty's every year- sold out everytime because the combination of Rusty's food, liquor license, and local art was a win-win-win. He is just an all-around great guy.)

I think we did skip a month. Or 2.

Today's forecast high in Cedar is 77.

We have had a really strange weather year.

I think we did skip a month. Or 2.Today's forecast high in Cedar is 77.

We have had a really strange weather year.
+1 We have too!!! Riding over a month early, due to record breaking warm temps, now it's snowing!!

Rode route 12 yesterday though Esclante for the Tour of Honor. I have always enjoyed this road, and can report that it is in good shape again this year. There are patches of snow on parts of the hillsides next to the road, but none are melting water across the road. It was dry the whole way. So no fear of ice patches coming around a corner in the morning.

If you have never ridden this road, and you get the chance to, I promise you will not be sorry. I would also say to ride the whole thing, from Panguitch to Torrey, if you turn around at Escalante you will be missing some total different scenery because the scenery changes from desert rock to alpine beauty in just a few miles, the views are spectacular! https://www.scenicbyway12.com/wp-content/themes/sb12/library/media/images/route_guide.pdf

The point of this is... if you are coming from anywhere to SWFOG and are looking for a cool road to add to your route, this would be it!

Rode route 12 yesterday though Esclante for the Tour of Honor. I have always enjoyed this road, and can report that it is in good shape again this year. There are patches of snow on parts of the hillsides next to the road, but none are melting water across the road. It was dry the whole way. So no fear of ice patches coming around a corner in the morning.
If you have never ridden this road, and you get the chance to, I promise you will not be sorry. I would also say to ride the whole thing, from Panguitch to Torrey, if you turn around at Escalante you will be missing some total different scenery because the scenery changes from desert rock to alpine beauty in just a few miles, the views are spectacular! https://www.scenicbyway12.com/wp-content/themes/sb12/library/media/images/route_guide.pdf

The point of this is... if you are coming from anywhere to SWFOG and are looking for a cool road to add to your route, this would be it!
You are right about HWY12!

A day ride from Cedar out 14 and 12 to Torrey and then back down 24 and 62 through Loa and Circleville is doable if anyone is interested.

The best I remember it takes about 7 or 8 hours with lunch at Boulder or Torrey.

Man I can't wait till this shindig goes down! I will be up for anything, I think the problem might be deciding where to go. I would be interested in tagging along for that ride stealth.

My only 'plan' for this event is to just piggy back with anyone who will let me. I am not really even planning my route there, just to take my time and enjoy it!

Glad to see you gents and ladies are planning some fun rides. Tons of great riding in UT, especially around the "The Mighty Five" National Parks. I live just a tad South, so will try and pop up to Cedar and hang out with old friends and make some new ones. Cedar is under an hour the boring way, and a tad more the fun way.

Good ride to Veyo for Pie, https://www.veyopies.com/ should anyone be interested in pie... About 62 miles and an hour, ten minutes. Great Pie.

https://mapq.st/1BWwCez is the fun way.

Side trip from Veyo to Ivins, just for the run thru the canyon is also possible. Maybe fire up the barbie for some burgers if there is demand. Easy round trip for a bomb up I-15 at Slab speeds or a return run thru the canyon twisties.

Um no, you're gonna lead a group of us up that Hwy12 ride. That's what happens when you're familiar with the area. Haha...

Glad to see you gents and ladies are planning some fun rides. Tons of great riding in UT, especially around the "The Mighty Five" National Parks. I live just a tad South, so will try and pop up to Cedar and hang out with old friends and make some new ones. Cedar is under an hour the boring way, and a tad more the fun way.
Good ride to Veyo for Pie, https://www.veyopies.com/ should anyone be interested in pie... About 62 miles and an hour, ten minutes. Great Pie.

https://mapq.st/1BWwCez is the fun way.

Side trip from Veyo to Ivins, just for the run thru the canyon is also possible. Maybe fire up the barbie for some burgers if there is demand. Easy round trip for a bomb up I-15 at Slab speeds or a return run thru the canyon twisties.
This would make a good Thursday ride.

Um no, you're gonna lead a group of us up that Hwy12 ride. That's what happens when you're familiar with the area. Haha...
I am up for heading that way Saturday. That road is awesome. We rode it back in 2012. We rode up Bryce Canyon the same day. Some breathtaking views on 12.