Park Your Ego at the Door

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can say without reservation that following a smooth leader running at a brisk pace is a BLAST, definitely the most fun I've had riding in a group. Slipping in behind an excellent rider - watching his entry lines and getting the bonus of watching him make the micro-adjustments to cornering speed from 3-5 seconds back and then carving your own near-identical lines results in sheer joy. You achieve the "in control feeling" and actually add a measure of relaxed confidence because you can see and adjust to the leader's bike AND to the corner. Big Note Here: SPEED is NOT the point, clean cornering IS.
EXACTLY!!! What you've described feels like being a kid running and jumping through a field to me. Pure play, relaxed and concentrating on that rhythmic feeling of time and space compressing so that speed isn't really even felt except as a part of the line and rhythm. In the moment -- ego disengaged, at one with the bike and its controls. Like being the back guy cutting 8s in powder.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Truth be told, sometimes I feel a bit like a hog when I jump in line behind someone I know rides like that. ("Does everyone else know that I've just snaked this spot for the fun Patrick described?")

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, awesome thread! Thanks for showing that with the maturity of age and/or riding experience there comes caution, and the desire of self-preservation. I ride for pleasure, and sometimes that pleasure involves three digits (sounded kinky... hmmm pleasure, three digits... must be thinking about that pic a few posts above this one!) *back on track* sometimes that pleasure involves speed and the rush it brings. We have ultimate-confidence inspiring bikes which need US to govern their actions. I love that a small set of wings would let us fly, but keenly aware that we aren't equipped to land!! That keeps me cautious.

We ride "Sport-Touring"... sometimes when I'm alone I toggle the "sport" switch, but it also sends warnings to the brain (often in the voice of my insurance agent). The rest of the time I ride "touring", and while it also involves some speed sometimes, it is the riding that best suits my "need to ride". My wife loves to ride with me, her trust and absolute belief in my ability is something I hope I never betray by handing the controls over to my "ego".

Any one of you are welcome to ride with me, or lead me, if you ride what you wrote in your posts.

[b[SIZE=18pt]]Idea:[/SIZE][/b][/size] Next time you are setting up a group ride and a group-split seems appropriate have one group designated "Sport" and the other as "Touring". Then no one will be pushed too fast or held back, by the purpose of the ride. If I knew upfront my ride was "touring" then I know I won't be chasing anyone as I expect the Lead to take us touring...

Chris

This has been a great discussion, thanks Dr Rich. On this ride, I rode in different positions within the group. For a while I was with Dr Rich and the first 8 to 10 riders. After lunch I rode with the last 5 out of the parking lot. We were 3 to 5 minutes behind the lead group with no intention of catching up. When we did meet up with the group again it was at the begining of Skaggs at Hwy 1. Leaving there the group took off at a different times according to each persons personal preferance. I think Bluestreak and another rider were infront of me and Silent was taking up the rear. We were the last bike that was 2 up and I have followed Bluestreak before when I was solo. Soon enough the other rider and Bluestreak were out of sight and enjoying the ride. It wasn't until we came out of the forest on the nice part of Skaggs that I saw the two bikes in front of me. At that point with Silent behind me (he has GPS) I didn't need to catch up. But as it turned out we did regroup after about 10 miles. Then in Geyserville we heard Bike Effects on the radio (he had stopped for gas) and waited by the post office for him and (mike). Now we were five bikes heading for Calistoga were we met up with the lead group at a gas station. I think that was the last gas stop for the group and I did not ride back to Fairfield with Dr Rich. Somewhere near Napa the group pulled over the side of the road and Bike Effects asked if anyone wanted to stop for coffee. Dr Rich needed to stick the plan, so Terri and I followed Bike Effects and Mike toward what we thought was a Starbucks. Turned out it was Jeff's house and we went in for a cup of coffee and a visit. We met Jeff's lovely wife and discussed the days events. Terri and I took the Hwy. home and had a late dinner. It was a great ride and I never met an ego the whole day. I have to say this group of riders are very supportive bunch. I am looking forward to the next group ride. Thanks again Dr Rich and all the folks on this ride. NorCal Rocks!

You guys call this a Friday dogpile?! <_<

To much love; not enough hurt feelings and bitter recriminations.

I'll agree with Murph on this one (i wasn't on this ride, so this is NOT about the ride being discussed). If someone starts "schooling" another rider on what they're doing wrong (without being asked to do so) then they are being an ass. Keep the unsolicited counsel (on how to get another rider in over their heads) to yourself. Respect their choice for riding their own ride and knowing their limits. When they want your opinions they'll ask.
Sure, but some just do not understand that they are doing something wrong until you tell them. I had a 75 year old gentleman in my class 4 years ago tell me after one exercisers that he has been doing it wrong for all his life. So, if you don't at least try you never know. Someone might go through all their life not knowing that they are doing something wrong.
so ask them if they are interested in some observations. what i've seen is rider 1 pull up next to rider 2 during a stop (some times just a get-your-bearings situation) and start yelling at them (over motors, hemets, and other noise) with what rider 2 is doing wrong. totally unsolicited. this went on the whole ride and rider 2 was tres pissed before the day was up. there was a great feeling of being pressured to perform at the level of the more skilled rider(s) which is a sure way to cause someone to wreck. absolutely self-centered by rider 1 who couldn't leave rider 2 to ride their own ride and learn at their own pace (which they were if rider 1 would have bothered to ask). if rider 1 had been approached and asked something or had approached rider 2 during a break and quietly discussed things AFTER the invitation was made, it would have been completely different.

back to the topic of ego: there's a good article in last month's MCNews (Mental Motorcycling) that addresses this thread.

I don't go on group rides and I won't ride with anyone else. I ride a motorcycle specifically to get away from other people; riding doesn't lend itself at all to group participation.
Where did I put those knitting needles?

Hey, are you yelling at me? Are you? :D

You right, that is uncalled for. When I do decide to give a pointer I generally try to do it when no one else is present but me and that other rider. I have been learning to break it down gentler then I used to do it years ago when I would smack :headbonk: the rider first and explain second :friends:

great topic

When do ego, conceit, over-confidence and/or recklessness take a back-seat to common sense, a healthy fear and self-preservation when riding a high performance sport touring machine?
Your thoughts are appreciated…… Rich
ΣΩ. Ὀνομάτων οὖν στασιασάντων͵ καὶ τῶν μὲν φασκόντων ἑαυτὰ εἶναι τὰ ὅμοια τῇ ἀληθείᾳ͵ τῶν δ΄ ἑαυτά͵ τίνι ἔτι διακρινοῦμεν͵ ἢ ἐπὶ τί ἐλθόντες; οὐ γάρ που ἐπὶ ὀνόματά γε ἕτερα ἄλλα τούτων· οὐ γὰρ ἔστιν͵ ἀλλὰ δῆλον ὅτι ἄλλ΄ ἄττα ζητητέα πλὴν ὀνομάτων͵ ἃ ἡμῖν ἐμφανιεῖ ἄνευ ὀνομάτων ὁπότερα τούτων ἐστὶ τἀληθῆ͵ δείξαντα δῆλον ὅτι τὴν ἀλήθειαν τῶν ὄντων. ΚΡ. Δοκεῖ μοι οὕτω. ΣΩ. Ἔστιν ἄρα͵ ὡς ἔοικεν͵ ὦ Κρατύλε͵ δυνατὸν μαθεῖν ἄνευ ὀνομάτων τὰ ὄντα͵ εἴπερ ταῦτα οὕτως ἔχει. ΚΡ. Φαίνεται. ΣΩ. Διὰ τίνος ἄλλου οὖν ἔτι προσδοκᾷς ἂν ταῦτα μαθεῖν; ἆρα δι΄ ἄλλου του ἢ οὗπερ εἰκός τε καὶ δικαιότατον͵ δι΄ ἀλλήλων γε͵ εἴ πῃ συγγενῆ ἐστιν͵ καὶ αὐτὰ δι΄ αὑτῶν; τὸ γάρ που ἕτερον ἐκείνων καὶ ἀλλοῖον ἕτερον ἄν τι καὶ ἀλλοῖον σημαίνοι ἀλλ΄ οὐκ ἐκεῖνα. ΚΡ. Ἀληθῆ μοι φαίνῃ λέγειν. ΣΩ. Ἔχε δὴ πρὸς Διός· τὰ δὲ ὀνόματα οὐ πολλάκις μέντοι ὡμολογήσαμεν τὰ καλῶς κείμενα ἐοικότα εἶναι ἐκείνοις ὧν ὀνόματα κεῖται͵ καὶ εἶναι εἰκόνας τῶν πραγμάτων; ΚΡ. Ναί. ΣΩ. Εἰ οὖν ἔστι μὲν ὅτι μάλιστα δι΄ ὀνομάτων τὰ πράγματα μανθάνειν͵ ἔστι δὲ καὶ δι΄ αὐτῶν͵ ποτέρα ἂν εἴη καλλίων καὶ σαφεστέρα ἡ μάθησις; ἐκ τῆς εἰκόνος μανθάνειν αὐτήν τε αὐτὴν εἰ καλῶς εἴκασται͵ καὶ τὴν ἀλήθειαν ἧς ἦν εἰκών͵ ἢ ἐκ τῆς ἀληθείας αὐτήν τε αὐτὴν καὶ τὴν εἰκόνα αὐτῆς εἰ πρεπόντως εἴργασται; ΚΡ. Ἐκ τῆς ἀληθείας μοι δοκεῖ ἀνάγκη εἶναι. ΣΩ. Ὅντινα μὲν τοίνυν τρόπον δεῖ μανθάνειν ἢ εὑρίσκειν τὰ ὄντα͵ μεῖζον ἴσως ἐστὶν ἐγνωκέναι ἢ κατ΄ ἐμὲ καὶ σέ· ἀγαπητὸν δὲ καὶ τοῦτο ὁμολογήσασθαι͵ ὅτι οὐκ ἐξ ὀνομάτων ἀλλὰ πολὺ μᾶλλον αὐτὰ ἐξ αὑτῶν καὶ μαθητέον καὶ ζητητέον ἢ ἐκ τῶν ὀνομάτων. ΚΡ. Φαίνεται͵ ὦ Σώκρατες.

Jb
Why the Koine Greek? Now tell us how you really think?

Otherwise, It's all greek to me. :rolleyes:

Simply stated, I like to maintain a pace that is interesting but if I begin to feel uncomfortable it is time to back off. In particular on the beginning part of Skaggs Road the wet corners were enough to generate concern. I have confidence in my tires but I definitely don't want to be braking in wet corners. That is a definite no-no for me, particularly because I do not have an ABS bike.

I still like "Shake" or "Sweep" (last man, cleanup). I can ride at the slowest pace and sight see B) I use to run the fast pace solo, but a tree decided to put a fast end to that. Life-flight, 5 broken bones, lacerated liver, 6 days in ICU, and $120k in medical bills tend to slow a person down a bit, and gives you a new outlook on fast. 5 mph slower, and I would have gotten home 6 days sooner. Even riding your own ride can be a bit to much on occasion :(

And someone please translate JB's post :huh:

There are a few major difference between "pushing" yourself on a ski slope and "pushing" yourself while riding a motorcycle on the street.
On the ski slope, trees and moguls are infinitely smarter than the cage drivers one sees out on the road every day.

They tend to stay where they belong.

They never show up suddenly where they shouldn't be.

Most skiers go over the same terrain many times and know what's coming next.

When you do make a mistake on the ski slope and go beyond your ability, it usually results in a yard sale, a few bumps and bruises, or maybe torn ligaments at worst.

Yes, deaths have occurred skiing, but pretty rarely. Serious injuries and deaths occur far more frequently when screwing up on a bike. In summary, the stakes are a lot higher.
Agreed in the conditions you've addressed, although it's amazing to me how many incidents of people dying from hitting trees or getting hung upside down in a tree bowl to suffocate have been reported in recent years. Even if it is as safe as you suggest, though, the same ego distractions and traction management and line picking skills apply, IMO.

If you're suggesting it's all about risk, though, I'd note that ski mountaineering in the back country on avalanche chutes (we ski them late in the season after the snow consolidates and the avalanche danger abates) with rock exposure (cliffs, rock outcroppings, skree, etc.) is every bit as high stakes as motorcycling, and further from help. From Carson Pass and Sonora Pass (routes we ride), I can point out a couple places I've climbed to and skied, and if Crescent Moon chute at Roundtop off Carson Pass doesn't make you fight back that panic feeling in your gut looking down it (from 100 feet above where I probably should have stopped my ascent), you're a lot better than I am. (An experience there is actually one that I was drawing on in my earlier post.)

Depending on the venue, snow conditions aren't always to be taken for granted, either. On most inbounds stuff, you're right, but the Roof at Squaw got closed permanently because of variable snow conditions in dangerous spots (and the resultant wrongful death law suit), and you don't want to be skiing Keyhole at Alpine without some circumspection about variable snow conditions, even when it's opened by the patrol. In the back country on serious steeps with rock exposure, the snow can be icy or hard in the morning where you can't set an edge. Or a section can soften so much in the afternoon sun that a ski's edge's length isn't enough to keep all that's holding your weight and allowing you to turn from letting go under you. You might have to get off it instantly when it does, hopefully to set an edge going the other way, without the time to pray that you'll miss the rocks below. To me, this and the decisions you're forced to make are analogous to motorcycling. But even at that, I wasn't suggesting that anyone should equate *their* skiing experiences to their motorcycling experiences -- just that skiing is where *I* get my perspective. But then, I'm also a hell of a lot better skier than I am a motorcyclist, even now.
(ex)Skibum,

I should have known with your forum name that you weren't talking about run of the mill resort skiing. ;) And I agree with you that the back-country stuff you describe is every bit as dangerous (if not more so). Also, the analogy of getting over one's head is well suited, regardless of the resulting outcome.

And as to the thread within a thread here about giving the noobies instruction on a group ride, what "errors in riding" would be so egregious that one would start harping on another rider at the next stop over? I can see if the guy is creating risk to some of the others, but if it's just riding skills, why not just STFU and mind your own business?

Why the Koine Greek? Now tell us how you really think?Otherwise, It's all greek to me. :rolleyes:
I think he was talking to the young lady TWN posted. She look like someone you might see on one of those Greek islands. :rolleyes:

And as to the thread within a thread here about giving the noobies instruction on a group ride, what "errors in riding" would be so egregious that one would start harping on another rider at the next stop over? I can see if the guy is creating risk to some of the others, but if it's just riding skills, why not just STFU and mind your own business?
Well, you'll notice I've stayed away from that one, but it IS an important discussion. For most, even making a casual suggestion about a book (my personal rereading favorite is Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques") at a stop or after the ride is not likely to be welcomed by even those who need it most. There are exceptions. One rider assuming superiority and giving instruction during a ride is nearly certain to be met with defensiveness unless asked for, IMO.

But then, there's also the problem of the who and the where in instruction. In golf, the best place to learn something new is on the range, not during a round, and it usually takes an insightful teaching pro to figure out the origin of the outside to in swing that is resulting in a slice. Anyone can tell you you're cutting across the ball, but compounding the error with a quick fix is NOT what I'd be looking for when the source of the flaw is in my setup (e.g., I'd somehow allowed the position of the ball to migrate and was subconsciously compensating for that to cause a slice). Fortunately, in golf, there's a two stroke penalty for giving or soliciting advice during stroke play -- amazing how fast that shit stops when you insist on invoking the penalty. Or, as a German friend in Tahoe City used to gruffly say: "When I want lesson, I focking pay for it." LOL

In skiing, I've watched more hacks ruin their GF's or wife's day with unsolicited instruction when they don't know what they're talking about. I grew up with a father who was a great skier, really good athlete, but piss poor communicator when it came to unsolicited instruction. Drove my Mom crazy, and took a LOT of pleasure out of skiing and other sports for her, even though in watching a video tape made from 8mm films -- she was a pretty good skier back when I was growing up. I had my issues with his teaching style and trying to get any refuge from it, but still, I learned a lot from him. So . . . I don't give ski instruction, unless someone actually asks for it. (It probably says something to the main topic here that the ones who do ask are usually already pretty good skiers, including a couple instructors.) Then it's usually one or two things with a demonstration and I let them work on it while we continue with the main objective -- having fun skiing together. In ski mountaineering, it's not an issue -- everyone is an expert skier.

In motorcycling, I don't know that I've ever even attempted to show someone how to ride. (Except maybe to show first ex-wife how to ride my Z1 in an empty Steamboat parking lot 30 years ago.) If I think someone's dangerous to ride with, I just won't ride with him. I may like that person and want to socialize with him at the destination, but I'll try not to be close when riding. I try to learn as much as I can about riding, but that doesn't mean I'm a qualified teacher or would be good at getting across what that person needs to hear to improve. OTOH, if someone does something downright stupid that endangers others, I probably will say something about it, or at the very least, drop way back and ride sweep a half mile behind the group, hoping I don't come upon a crash.

As is probably clear from my rambling, I really don't know the answer to this, but in light of the dangers involved, I've been reading the sub thread with interest. Endangering others or demonstrating a lack of skills in ski mountaineering would get you 86ed, if you had somehow managed to get invited in the first place. While riding can be as dangerous, it's probably also true that the challenge of the roads we ride doesn't require expert level skills just to get down them, IF the rider rides within his or her ability. That's not always true in the back country. So you'd think that modifying a rider's approach would mitigate the danger, but then you run square into egos, defensiveness and the stuff Bounce was talking about. I guess I just take the chicken way out and take care of me and my pillion first by getting out of the danger zone: either not a part of the group ride or way back sweep. MM2's "shared destination" vis "group" rides is probably the best compromise I've heard yet.

I guess this makes me an ahole trying to educate someone on something that can save their ass. So be it.

It probably does not help that I look like I just left high school. Nor do I claim to be the sharpest tool in the box. But, I do know what to look for and I do know a thing or two on how to correct it.

I will continue to provide my 2 cents to those that I think can benefit from it. I learned to do it in a subtle way. If met with ego and other shit then I shut up and never ride with that person again most of the time.

In most cases I find that people are willing to listen and do pay attention. If I manage to save at least one from crashing or hurting him self then been an ahole to some is well worth it.

I guess this makes me an ahole trying to educate someone on something that can save their ass. So be it.
Well, if you reached that conclusion from what I said, then we have a communication problem -- sending and/or receiving. Probably an appropriate example in light of the larger discussion of what the problem is.

Well, if you reached that conclusion from what I said, then we have a communication problem -- sending and/or receiving. Probably an appropriate example in light of the larger discussion of what the problem is.
We do have miscommunicated. :) My response is not towards what you said. It is more towards what Fred said.

I taught two of my daughters how to ride. I gave them the basic safety instruction and figured that was about all they could absorb in one session. The rest they learned by following me. Yes, sometimes they learned what 'not to do' by watching me too. It is a lot more effective to teach by example than to try yelling through the helmets.

It is a lot more effective to teach by example than to try yelling through the helmets.
Thank you. Exactly why I have slowed down. Few years ago I was called on it and then had to sit down and figure out what was more important to me and what my actions were telling others.

Don't get me wrong I still crank it a bit sometimes, just now I do it when no one is watching :yahoo: