Pilot Road 2 - who's got 'em?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought mine last month, put about 1,000 miles on them...Im liking them, had Avon before..To me they really do stick better in the rain...

I mounted mine up Saturday... though I didn't get to ride :/
Maybe this week after the torrential rains come and go.
I cannot find these tires anywhere. i need the standard 180/55/17 and 120/70/17 for a 2006 FJR1300A. does anyone know who actually has these in stock ready to ship now?

Thank you in advance.
I got mine at cycle gear..There is a store front in austin, that mount them if you bring the tire in...that way you can but the good stuff on your splines yourself...$179.00 if I remember right, I know they have Nation wide internet sales

Thanks Renegade. They are also out of stock. Seems NOBODY has the 180/55/17 back tire for some reason...
So buy yourself a pair of Dunlop Roadmasters or a Bridgestone BT-021 rear and Pirelli Diablo Strada front. Pocket the extra $80 and enjoy life.

Like Grumpy says, you buy Michelin tires because you can always count on what you are getting, and you can count on paying more too.

He's a pretty fart old smeller!

Come live on the wild side with those of us boasting lower IQs. Mine starts at 183 and I was still stupid enough to buy a set of...

:)

I mounted mine up Saturday... though I didn't get to ride :/
Maybe this week after the torrential rains come and go.
I cannot find these tires anywhere. i need the standard 180/55/17 and 120/70/17 for a 2006 FJR1300A. does anyone know who actually has these in stock ready to ship now?

Thank you in advance.
I got mine at cycle gear..There is a store front in austin, that mount them if you bring the tire in...that way you can but the good stuff on your splines yourself...$179.00 if I remember right, I know they have Nation wide internet sales
Thanks Lago Runner. I sent them email to see if they are in stock. A little pricier than other vendors, but noboby else has them. My tires are gone. Stock tires have 9700 miles on them, and riding the canyons is not very confidence inspiring on shot tires if you know what I mean...

Thanks Renegade. They are also out of stock. Seems NOBODY has the 180/55/17 back tire for some reason...
So buy yourself a pair of Dunlop Roadmasters or a Bridgestone BT-021 rear and Pirelli Diablo Strada front. Pocket the extra $80 and enjoy life.

Like Grumpy says, you buy Michelin tires because you can always count on what you are getting, and you can count on paying more too.

He's a pretty fart old smeller!

Come live on the wild side with those of us boasting lower IQs. Mine starts at 183 and I was still stupid enough to buy a set of...

:)
LMAO Jeff. It may come to that. I want something with better traction than the Metzler on the bike, but cannot afford to change tires every 3-4K. If i could, I'd run the Pilot Powers I used on my R1. Out of the ones you mentioned, which are the best handling for canyon use and dry weather? Thanks again...

Out of the ones you mentioned, which are the best handling for canyon use and dry weather? Thanks again...
The Bridgestone BT-021 rear is the best compromise between handling and mileage I've run to date. The front sucks moist ass cheese. The Pirelli Diablo Strada front plays nice with the BT-021 rear. Good combination IMO.

New Dunflops still sitting in my garage with stickers on them. Will be a while before I have anything to say about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The front sucks moist ass cheese.
Concur, but I'm not thrilled with the BT021 rear, either. Reminds me a bit of the Metz, though not as bad.

Ojai Roy has the PR2's mounted up and claims they are the best he's tried on his '05. Roy can ride and rides smooth and fast, but after 4k miles on his, they look to have 3 - 4k left on the rear and a boatload more on the front.

My next set will be the PR2's, regardless of the tub of Vaseline that comes with them.

Concur, but I'm not thrilled with the BT021 rear, either. Reminds me a bit of the Metz, though not as bad.

Ojai Roy has the PR2's mounted up and claims they are the best he's tried on his '05. Roy can ride and rides smooth and fast, but after 4k miles on his, they look to have 3 - 4k left on the rear and a boatload more on the front.

My next set will be the PR2's, regardless of the tub of Vaseline that comes with them.
I'm with you TWN. It's the PR2's for me. Now if i could just find a set. :angry:

I am approaching 8000 miles on road 2 and like them very much.
Well, if it will go 8000 for me, that would justify the added expense. I guess they got the dual compound right that Avon claimed would work.
Make that 9400 miles on the rear tire! They are worn out but the cords are not showing.

The front looks real good and I think it will go another 5k miles easily. However , I did start hearing some tread noise at about 7500 miles. It's not bad but I thought I should mention it.

These tires are by far the longest lasting tires I have tried to date and I am very impressed with them.

Looking forward to trying the new Dunlap tires.

I am approaching 8000 miles on road 2 and like them very much.
Well, if it will go 8000 for me, that would justify the added expense. I guess they got the dual compound right that Avon claimed would work.
Make that 9400 miles on the rear tire! They are worn out but the cords are not showing.

The front looks real good and I think it will go another 5k miles easily. However , I did start hearing some tread noise at about 7500 miles. It's not bad but I thought I should mention it.

These tires are by far the longest lasting tires I have tried to date and I am very impressed with them.

Looking forward to trying the new Dunlap tires.
'Bullet, how much do you normally get from another set of tires from a different brand? please state mileage associated with brand. Thanks in advance.

I'm with you TWN. It's the PR2's for me. Now if i could just find a set. :angry:
have you tried parts411?

Here ya go...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Michelin-Pi...Q2em118Q2el1247

'Bullet, how much do you normally get from another set of tires from a different brand? please state mileage associated with brand. Thanks in advance.

Z6 - 6400 miles - cords showing.

Strata- 6800 miles- cords showing

BT021 - 7500- 8000 miles- cords not showing

Avon Azarro 7000 miles -cords not showing.

These are for the rear tire.

The Z6 and the Strata the fronts last about 3-4000 miles longer than the rear. The bt021 the fronts last almost as long as the rear and the Azarro fronts lasts 1500 -2000 miles longer do to excessive cupping.