Pilot Road 2 - who's got 'em?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,
Has any members burnt up a set of the PR2's yet??? Haven't heard of any completed mileage reports yet.

WW
I am approaching 8000 miles on road 2 and like them very much.

Of all the tires I have used ( stradas, avons. bt021, and Z6), these seem to be the longest lasting for me.

I finally got to try them out in the rain and while they are getting worn, the tires still performed well.

HYCLE,

Is this mostly commuting, or canyon carving? PSI? 2-up? Road Conditions?

Common...with Ashe in semi-retirement, someone's gotta review these things ;)

I have over 3000 miles on my PR2s and they are working great. Based on the tread depth left I expect to get 8 to 10 thousand miles with no problems. I will probably need new tires just before NAFO.

Too hard to remember all the details. I have CRS and OTD that effect memory.

I commute about 600 miles a month and every couple weeks there are group rides of 200 miles or more. The group rides are about 50 percent twisty and 25 percent are 2 up. I guess I don't ride too easy since I lifted the front tire from a stop sign on a late night Christmas ride and find 90 mph more comfortable than 80 mph.

I am not a canyon carver in my opinion and only drag the pegs when I go in a corner too fast for my liking.

I run stock pressures, and road conditions are good. I prefer smooth fast roads.

I bought the PR2s to extend my highway tire mileage and the improved cornering, compared to the BT020s, was a great bonus.

I still expect to wear out the center of the rear tire before anything else.

I'm commuting about 1,600 miles a month to a new job & pushing about 3k on the new PR2's. 80% superslab, almost no curves; I'm relatively easy on the throttle (trying to milk mpg); keep the bags attached; run 42 in the rear and 39.5 (ish) in the front. The tires look almost new & I love them. I'll try to post some pictures so folks can judge the wear.

dam you people!

now I'm gonna have to go and order a 170.00 rear tyre from parts411 <_<

I've never spent that much for a tyre before.

Here are some pics I took this afternoon of my PR2s. Got them on 11/16/07 and they now have 3,000 miles on them (see previous post for description of riding style etc.). Based on how they are currently wearing, I'm expecting to see 9k, maybe 10k worth of riding out of them.

PR2005.jpg

PR2003.jpg

PR2002.jpg

PR2001.jpg

Here is a picture of the tires the day I got them mounted.

0917071351.jpg

Here is an picutre from today with about 3500 miles on them. They were put on late Sept. or early Oct. so they have been on all the rides since then with JB and the New years ride too.

IMG_1523.jpg

You can really see the difference in the rubber compound near the edges, it looks melted like a track tire.

I have ridden 80mph in the rain on Hwy 680 and 95mph on Hwy 280 on wet pavement with no problems. The only time I had the rear slip a little was on the sandy wet road outside of Plymouth, just after crossing the creek. That was on the New Years ride with Terri was on the back and she didn't even notice.

There is still 4 mm left on the front and rear so I expect them to last at least till summer. I think I will need to put on a new set before NAFO,I think May or June.

I live in FL, so my definition of "twisties" includes traffic circles/roundabouts. However, in the few sweepers I get to enjoy, I would say that there is no comparison: the PR2 is rock-solid is a good kind of sticky way that I never experienced on the Z6. I think part of that is a result of filing off the profile of the Z6's with too many straight roads so that the transition from middle of tire to edge of tire wasn't as smooth as it could have been.

Nice pics, guys! Keep it up; you're making Ashe envious.
How do they compare to the stock Z6s in the twisties?

Hey Hycle,

Thanks for the info. Nice post with the side x side pics of the tires. Please keep us posted on your final mileage report on them and/or anothe Mid report. I am trying to decide between those PR2's and the new Dunlop RoadSmart that just came out. Total mileage is gonna be my deciding factor as I suspect both tires with be good grippers.

Great Post!!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
PR2001.jpg

Can you take one just a bit lower, to catch the whole bottom of the tire with cement in the background, to show any flatness on the tread middle?

Those grooves don't look very deep (to me), even when new, but if they'll go 8500 for me, they'd be worth buying for sure.

I mounted mine up Saturday... though I didn't get to ride :/

Maybe this week after the torrential rains come and go.

Here is a picture of the tires the day I got them mounted.
0917071351.jpg

Here is an picutre from today with about 3500 miles on them. They were put on late Sept. or early Oct. so they have been on all the rides since then with JB and the New years ride too.

IMG_1523.jpg

You can really see the difference in the rubber compound near the edges, it looks melted like a track tire.

I have ridden 80mph in the rain on Hwy 680 and 95mph on Hwy 280 on wet pavement with no problems. The only time I had the rear slip a little was on the sandy wet road outside of Plymouth, just after crossing the creek. That was on the New Years ride with Terri was on the back and she didn't even notice.

There is still 4 mm left on the front and rear so I expect them to last at least till summer. I think I will need to put on a new set before NAFO,I think May or June.
Hey Toecutter, here is a view of the rear tire showing what little flat spot it has. I put a piece of paper on the ground to make the outline easier to see.

0204081445.jpg

Above and beyond the call, just like an FJR owner! :clapping:

THANKS!!!

Looks a bit rounder than my 021 with 3700 miles on it since September. Pretty sad, eh? I'll try to wear it out before NAFO....Don't want to bring stale tires to Colorado.

Just scored 2 pairs of PR2s on a GB on the blackbird site (cbr1100xx.org). A relatively new member there found a dealer in Fla. with 180s in stock, negotiated a $270/pr shipped price and on Friday posted that he needed a minimum of 10 orders. I jumped in early for 2 pairs, got the early bird PM Saturday morning that it was on and paid immediately. By Monday (today) only 2 pairs remained of the dealer's stock. Guy running the deal posted that a couple pair were still available this morning to those that didn't post up early, and the last couple guys jumped in immediately to clean out the guy's stock. Mine are due to arrive next Monday.

So -- my still nearly new PRs come off the FJR before the trip to NAFO and one of these pairs goes on. Will probably throw the take off PRs back on after NAFO when the first set of PR2s is worn out until the take off PRs are done. Assuming I wear out the new set of PPs on the Blackbird this summer, it gets the second set of PR2s next fall. Or something like that -- too good a price on these tires to pass up and I knew I needed one new set of tires to spoon on before the NAFO adventure. (One more thing off the list.) :yahoo:

Toe,

Here are two of the back showing the profile/curvature. Since 99.5% of my riding is straight up and down, there is a little bit of squaring happening, but nothing like the stock Z6's. At this point, the tires have 3,500 miles on them.

CrystalRiver007.jpg

CrystalRiver008.jpg

Can you take one just a bit lower, to catch the whole bottom of the tire with cement in the background, to show any flatness on the tread middle?
Those grooves don't look very deep (to me), even when new, but if they'll go 8500 for me, they'd be worth buying for sure.

I mounted mine up Saturday... though I didn't get to ride :/
Maybe this week after the torrential rains come and go.
I cannot find these tires anywhere. i need the standard 180/55/17 and 120/70/17 for a 2006 FJR1300A. does anyone know who actually has these in stock ready to ship now?

Thank you in advance.